New COVID rules

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Psamathe

Re: New COVID rules

Post by Psamathe »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 11 May 2021, 5:55pm Oops. Can of worms…

It seems silly that Wembley is allowed to open for 10,000 visitors but campsites are reluctant to not open communal shower/toilet blocks.
It is an aspect that I'm somewhat unhappy about with the easing of restrictions. Not specifically camping but that the focus seems to be on few big events where lots of money is involved. But in the UK there are vast numbers of local groups/clubs/societies covering a very wide range in interests, many charities and who could socially distance meetings, etc.. Spend a bit of attention on steps to allow them to return to activity and you'll probably impact vastly more people (and vastly more loneliness) than a few football matches and pubs. Things like local WI, photo clubs, astronomy clubs, bridge clubs, natural history clubs, etc., etc. who might hold a meeting, maybe a talk once a week to smallish groups in local halls. So many towns and villages have so many of such groups yet they are being completely forgotten with £££££ getting all the attention.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

leftpoole wrote: 11 May 2021, 5:44pm
TrevA wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:01pm Toilets and washrooms are already open, though not all of them, every other cubicle is closed to enable social distancing. I’ve just been away in my Campervan and this was the situation last week. Showers are due to re-open on 17th May. On larger sites, you may find a restriction on the numbers that can be in the toilet block at any one time. At the site I was at, it was 3 people at a time (managed by a wristband that is disinfected in Milton fluid between uses).
The site you used has been breaking the regulations. ALL campers in Vans or Caravan MUST have their own washing and toilet facilities.
I very much doubt it as it sounded like a caravan & motorhome club site. They use the Milton bands and I assure would not break any regulations.
I too was away in Scotland last week and if I’d wanted could have used club facilities.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

TrevA wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:01pm Toilets and washrooms are already open, though not all of them, every other cubicle is closed to enable social distancing. I’ve just been away in my Campervan and this was the situation last week. Showers are due to re-open on 17th May. On larger sites, you may find a restriction on the numbers that can be in the toilet block at any one time. At the site I was at, it was 3 people at a time (managed by a wristband that is disinfected in Milton fluid between uses).
The site you used has been breaking the regulations. ALL campers in Vans or Caravan MUST have their own washing and toilet facilities.
I’m sorry, but that is not correct.

This is the current guidance on shared toilet facilities, quoted from Gov.uk.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-saf ... on#sec-2-2

Bathrooms

Shared toilet facilities are permitted, and clear signage should be provided on how to use shared toilets in line with social distancing and social contact rules.
Shared shower facilities are permitted but should only be used where social distancing can be managed. All possible steps should be taken to minimise household mixing and reduce the risk of transmission. Where possible, this should include assigning shared shower facilities to one permitted group of 6 people or 2 households/bubbles (i.e. making them private) or running a reservation-and-clean rota (whereby one permitted group of 6 people or 2 households/bubbles can exclusively book the shared facilities for a fixed time, and the facilities are cleaned thoroughly between reservations). Where it is not possible to manage social distancing and minimise household mixing, shared shower facilities should remain closed.
Where showers and toilets are shared, clear use and cleaning guidance should be set to ensure they are kept clean and clear of personal items, and that social distancing is managed.

If you feel the above is wrong, please quote the source of your info.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

TrevA wrote: 12 May 2021, 7:45am

Bathrooms

Shared toilet facilities are permitted, and clear signage should be provided on how to use shared toilets in line with social distancing and social contact rules.
Shared shower facilities are permitted but should only be used where social distancing can be managed. All possible steps should be taken to minimise household mixing and reduce the risk of transmission. Where possible, this should include assigning shared shower facilities to one permitted group of 6 people or 2 households/bubbles (i.e. making them private) or running a reservation-and-clean rota (whereby one permitted group of 6 people or 2 households/bubbles can exclusively book the shared facilities for a fixed time, and the facilities are cleaned thoroughly between reservations). Where it is not possible to manage social distancing and minimise household mixing, shared shower facilities should remain closed.
Where showers and toilets are shared, clear use and cleaning guidance should be set to ensure they are kept clean and clear of personal items, and that social distancing is managed.

Out of date link.
Go to UK Gov and try again!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:15am
TrevA wrote: 12 May 2021, 7:45am

Bathrooms

Out of date link.
Go to UK Gov and try again!
I just had a look and at the top of the page
Updated: 11 May 2021
Which was yesterday.

Can you post a link to the more recent updated version.

Ian
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Ian,
All the sites I endeavoured to book, refused tent camping until 17th May.
All sites contacted told me nobody was allowed to use mixed facilities.
I have just a moment ago called a site again. The site now tells me opening for tent camping was optional and that all facilities used must be cleaned Covid style following use by someone. This would have been time consuming and obviously costly.
It appears (to me) that sites apparently 'banded' together and virtually all decided not to allow anyone in any type of vehicle or tent. There has been a small number who decided to interpret their own way. Thus why some sites were open. There are sites not opening at all this year due to toilet cleaning regulations. Take for instance Camping in the Forest sites. A very popular site called 'Roundhills' in New Forest is staying closed!
So I apologise for any error, but believe that the way forward is to keep things opening slowly.
I also believe that the closed to tents sites were instructing visitors to use their own toilets.
Anyway-it is all over bar the shouting-next Monday. I hope!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:33am Ian,
I have just a moment ago called a site again. The site now tells me opening for tent camping was optional and that all facilities used must be cleaned Covid style following use by someone. This would have been time consuming and obviously costly.
It appears (to me) that sites apparently 'banded' together and virtually all decided not to allow anyone in any type of vehicle or tent. There has been a small number who decided to interpret their own way. Thus why some sites were open. There are sites not opening at all this year due to toilet cleaning regulations. Take for instance Camping in the Forest sites. A very popular site called 'Roundhills' in New Forest is staying closed!
So I apologise for any error, but believe that the way forward is to keep things opening slowly.
I also believe that the closed to tents sites were instructing visitors to use their own toilets.
I'm not questioning your experience, just as you said the Gov. link was out of date after the up to date version.

Also, I'm not trying to book so I've no experience but I have a suspicion that this year many who normally holiday overseas will be staying in the UK (due to limited choice, inflated prices and quarantine/cancellation risks) so UK facilities will be overbooked. So campsites will have plenty of bookings and likely be taking the opportunity to maximise income so they'll be after the most profitable visitors which probably means not tents for a night or two (not when the pitch can take a large campervan and family). If you can fill every pitch, fill them with high priced longer stay visitors.

But that's all my guesswork without fact or experience.

Ian
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Ian,
I know where to look. I am booked twice each month for a few nights at a time. Various sites all of which are located on Farms. Only facility is a Tap for water and usually a Compost type of toilet.
I keep clean using Biodegradable wipes and as the person I am -I love Nature and the outdoors- so no companions to to 'worry' about.
I take deodorant etc but all is a back to Nature style camping experience. Woodlands, streams etc.
Following a number of years with no breaks at all due to health- I am hoping for the best.
I agree that your surmise about costs could be higher. I am fortunate that I do not require all the razmataz that Summer Family camping brings.
To test your theory I checked a couple of sites that I used when living in Dorset. The costs for one person in a small tent in the Lyme Regis area this year are horrendous!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:33am There are sites not opening at all this year due to toilet cleaning regulations. Take for instance Camping in the Forest sites. A very popular site called 'Roundhills' in New Forest is staying closed!
That’ll be why they state their opening dates as,
Open 12th April - 27th September 2021

E2E info
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 1:07pm Ian,
I know where to look. I am booked twice each month for a few nights at a time. Various sites all of which are located on Farms. Only facility is a Tap for water and usually a Compost type of toilet.
I keep clean using Biodegradable wipes and as the person I am -I love Nature and the outdoors- so no companions to to 'worry' about.
I take deodorant etc but all is a back to Nature style camping experience. Woodlands, streams etc.
Following a number of years with no breaks at all due to health- I am hoping for the best.
Enjoy yourself lefty. We will have to agree-to-disagree about some important facts, but it will all change (hopefully for the better) next Monday anyway!
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:33am Ian,
I was under the same impression as you, but prior to our week away, we had an email from the 2 sites we were due to be staying at, to say that toilets and washrooms were open, but showers were closed, in line with the previously quoted guidance.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Paulatic wrote: 12 May 2021, 1:15pm
leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:33am There are sites not opening at all this year due to toilet cleaning regulations. Take for instance Camping in the Forest sites. A very popular site called 'Roundhills' in New Forest is staying closed!
That’ll be why they state their opening dates as,
Open 12th April - 27th September 2021
Read properly!

GOING TO:
Roundhill - New Forest
TRAVELLING ON:
17 May 2021 for 4 nights
I'M TAKING:
Tent(less than 2.00m x 1.00m)
Site Notices
Please note:
During the 2021 season this site has no toilet or shower facilities, therefore own sanitation is essential.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

mattheus wrote: 12 May 2021, 1:21pm
leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 1:07pm Ian,
Enjoy yourself lefty. We will have to agree-to-disagree about some important facts, but it will all change (hopefully for the better) next Monday anyway!
If as you mention 'for the best' means Covid free, I certainly hope so. But as I am nearly 71 yrs old with poor health if it means not camping so be it Again!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:34pm Read properly!
I did read properly. :roll:
Perhaps you might read what you write or are you trying to tell me now you didn’t write
leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:33am A very popular site called 'Roundhills' in New Forest is staying closed!

E2E info
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Paulatic wrote: 12 May 2021, 6:19pm
leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:34pm Read properly!
I did read properly. :roll:
Perhaps you might read what you write or are you trying to tell me now you didn’t write
leftpoole wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:33am A very popular site called 'Roundhills' in New Forest is staying closed!
Last Sunday the site actually said closed this year. Now it says open without facilities. If you’ve ever been to Roundhill the facilities are not that great and it’s a very popular site with lots of campers. I usual camp
In an offshoot of the site amongst the trees . It’s a patch limited to what are called Backpacking guests.

All in all I think this thread is completed?