New COVID rules

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Thehairs1970

New COVID rules

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I can’t seem to find anything regarding the May 17th rule changes and campsites. Any better than me found out? I basically want to know if they are now allowed to open toilet facilities etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: New COVID rules

Post by Oldjohnw »

I thought that they are already allowed to open toilet facilities. But some don’t, presumably because of extra cleaning. They are not obliged to at any time.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 11 May 2021, 7:44am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I thought they could open shared toilet and washing but not showers. However the restrictions meant that smaller places chose not to open toilet blocks and have self sufficient campers only. I think that was due to regular cleaning requirements being particularly onerous to family owned, smaller sites.

I doubt the 17th May changes have been fully leaked I mean announced. You don't expect the government to give businesses affected time to properly prepare do you?

Best guess less restrictions but still some. Limited numbers allowed in facilities. Perhaps showers are still out. Long toilet block queues at busy sites, etc.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

The golf club I'm a member of has had showers (open plan, not cubicle) in action for a couple of weeks now.
Laws, guidance, can't be a##$ed? Who can tell any more?
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

In Wales it is expected that shared facilities will be allowed to open soon, may be on the 17th May. There will be an announcement by the FM on Friday. Incidentally, I spotted a touring cyclist on my nearby campsite yesterday evening but I don't know what facilities they are allowed to use.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 11 May 2021, 6:32am I can’t seem to find anything regarding the May 17th rule changes and campsites. Any better than me found out? I basically want to know if they are now allowed to open toilet facilities etc.
For C&CC sites some inf here mentioning May 17:

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.c ... ronavirus/

cheers,

Keith
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 7:16am I thought that they are already allowed to open toilet facilities. But some don’t, presumably because of extra cleaning. They are not obliged to at any time.
For England: A perfect summary! (in addition, many sites chose to open their showers up as well - at least the two independents that I phoned were). I really don't know about the other nations.

The site I spoke to said that they need to maintain COVID-safe measures (combo of social-distancing, extra cleaning, hand-cleaning for guests, ventilation etc), but this is pretty much exactly how they had to operate all of summer 2020, so no big deal for them.

17th May?
Well it looks like England will be entirely back to summer 2020 conditions. Then restrictions may be further lifted around mid-summer.
(It sounds like Scot/Wales will be roughly in alignment on this, but I haven't kept up with the details, mea culpa)
Last edited by mattheus on 11 May 2021, 9:36am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Camp sites can keep their toilets closed for ever if they want or don’t have the staff to clean them. It might not be good for business but they can certainly do that.
John
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Oldjohnw wrote: 11 May 2021, 7:16am I thought that they are already allowed to open toilet facilities. But some don’t, presumably because of extra cleaning. They are not obliged to at any time.
I will at the risk of the wrath others who 'apparently' have been camping and using site Toilets write what the Government regulations are.

It is not possible to tent camp unless one uses one's own toilet-such as a Portaloo in a toilet tent.

From 17th Hey ho away we go....Hurrah.

I called-I internet searched-I spent hours on this. No self respecting decent law abiding site is allowing tents unless thus equipped.
No No No!

I am booked now on half a dozen Farm sites through the next few months. These sites only have a Tap for water and a Compost style toilet facility. Own cleaning products will be used and can be obtained via Amazon. Bio Cleaning wash -Wet wipe style. I like to go 'Wild' camping-proper camping...
PH

Post by PH »

leftpoole wrote: 11 May 2021, 9:49am I will at the risk of the wrath others who 'apparently' have been camping and using site Toilets write what the Government regulations are.
It is not possible to tent camp unless one uses one's own toilet-such as a Portaloo in a toilet tent.
That's simply wrong. As has been pointed out to you before, I don't know why you insist on repeating this disinformation.
Currently toilets are permitted to be open as communal facilities, subject to certain conditions
Showers are permitted to be open as private facilities, that is used by one family/individual/bubble at a time with cleaning in between.
Don't take my word for it, you can read the source

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-saf ... ommodation
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

leftpoole wrote: 11 May 2021, 9:49am I will at the risk of the wrath others who 'apparently' have been camping and using site Toilets write what the Government regulations are.
Go on then. You have an attentive audience.
leftpoole wrote: 11 May 2021, 9:49am I am booked now on half a dozen Farm sites through the next few months. These sites only have a Tap for water and a Compost style toilet facility. Own cleaning products will be used and can be obtained via Amazon. Bio Cleaning wash -Wet wipe style. I like to go 'Wild' camping-
proper camping...
Good use of quotes in 'Wild' Camping. Doesn't sound very 'Wild' to me ...

p.s. I guarantee the rules will change before you make your final trip. Make sure you check the updates!
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

mattheus wrote: 11 May 2021, 11:26am
Go on then. You have an attentive audience.
leftpoole wrote: 11 May 2021, 9:49am I am booked now on half a dozen Farm sites through the next few months. These sites only have a Tap for water and a Compost style toilet facility. Own cleaning products will be used and can be obtained via Amazon. Bio Cleaning wash -Wet wipe style. I like to go 'Wild' camping-
proper camping...
Good use of quotes in 'Wild' Camping. Doesn't sound very 'Wild' to me ...

p.s. I guarantee the rules will change before you make your final trip. Make sure you check the updates!
I can no longer actually go Wild Camping. I have pretty serious health problems and need to be reasonably close to an address. I may require Ambulance.
I used to camp on Dartmoor and some other wild places but as said above can no longer.
Your sarcastic comment is not really required. I trust that you are well and that you never end up as I am.
I seriously do hope that generally our lives can get back to a realistic 'normal'.

I have not been able to have any holiday or trip to anywhere for 6 years! I have been in and out of Hospital. I hope that I can do what I am able to do this year.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Toilets and washrooms are already open, though not all of them, every other cubicle is closed to enable social distancing. I’ve just been away in my Campervan and this was the situation last week. Showers are due to re-open on 17th May. On larger sites, you may find a restriction on the numbers that can be in the toilet block at any one time. At the site I was at, it was 3 people at a time (managed by a wristband that is disinfected in Milton fluid between uses).
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

TrevA wrote: 11 May 2021, 4:01pm Toilets and washrooms are already open, though not all of them, every other cubicle is closed to enable social distancing. I’ve just been away in my Campervan and this was the situation last week. Showers are due to re-open on 17th May. On larger sites, you may find a restriction on the numbers that can be in the toilet block at any one time. At the site I was at, it was 3 people at a time (managed by a wristband that is disinfected in Milton fluid between uses).
The site you used has been breaking the regulations. ALL campers in Vans or Caravan MUST have their own washing and toilet facilities.
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Oops. Can of worms…

It seems silly that Wembley is allowed to open for 10,000 visitors but campsites are reluctant to not open communal shower/toilet blocks.