Hot Water Bottle

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
ferretdiver

Re: Hot Water Bottle

Post by ferretdiver »

I’ve been using a 1 litre sigg aluminium bottle for a few years now. I haven’t experienced any leaks - probably jinxed it now by saying that.

I don’t put boiling water in, I let the water cool for about 10 to 15 minutes before adding to the bottle.

I then pull a thick sock over the bottle to prevent it burning me & put it in a dry bag for a belt & braces approach to leakage. I haven’t experienced any leaks inside the dry bag.

I’ve also used the sigg to dry damp socks like this & also to warm my boots first thing in the morning when winter/autumn camping.

I chose the sigg bottle because I was concerned about accidentally laying on it in my sleeping bag at night time & thought that may be a nalgene or softer bottle could burst if I were to accidentally lay on it in my sleep.

This works for me.

I guess it’s just about finding what works for you.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
horizon

Re: Hot Water Bottle

Post by horizon »

Looks like we've come full circle:

SIGG_History_images_5.jpg
THEIR CAREER BEGAN IN BED

The real story behind the SIGG Bottle is not the one that most suspect: It is not successor to the water bottle of the 20’s, but to the bed bottle, Model 26 1661. This was on the market in as far back as the 60’s. Its profile was later gradually taken from the classic Traveller Bottle, which soon enjoyed widespread acclaim. In1990, the course for the future of the Bottle was set: SIGG developed a new shape that is still typical of today’s 0.5 and 0.75 litre bottles. The bottle body was still plain, yet the quality achieved the same high level as today.
https://sigg.com/uk/history/
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher