Hot Water Bottle

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
iandusud

Hot Water Bottle

Post by iandusud »

We're off camping the weekend after next and my good lady likes a hot water bottle. I was wondering if an aluminium water bottle could double up for this purpose. The potential danger off course is leaking at the seal. I'm thinking that as long as the bottle is full of hot water there will be no air to expand and pressurise the bottle. Has anyone tried this?

Cheers, Ian
simonineaston

Re: Hot Water Bottle

Post by simonineaston »

Take a hot-water bottle, with a big fluffy snap-on jacket - better still, take two - you know it makes sense - I would! And folding kettle here of course.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

A tip from backpacking trips: put the Al bottle in a thick wooly hiking sock to avoid burns, then in the morning when it has cooled down, you have some ready sterilised water for the day.

Regarding possible leaks: I would recommend testing the hot water bottle at home and not in bed before your trip!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

simonineaston wrote: 12 May 2021, 8:17am Take a hot-water bottle, with a big fluffy snap-on jacket - better still, take two - you know it makes sense - I would! And folding kettle here of course.
I'm trying to keep weight and bulk down so std hot water bottle isn't really an option. That folding kettle looks interesting!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

rotavator wrote: 12 May 2021, 9:56am Regarding possible leaks: I would recommend testing the hot water bottle at home and not in bed before your trip!
Definitely!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

What we want is compact, folding (and water-tight) hot water bottles !! Of course in the old days, all sorts of things were used to warm beds, eg pans-on-handles, bricks and stoppered stone-jars so not seeing why a Sigg bottle with its reliable screw-stopper should not be used instead...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

rotavator wrote: 12 May 2021, 9:56am A tip from backpacking trips: put the Al bottle in a thick wooly hiking sock to avoid burns, then in the morning when it has cooled down, you have some ready sterilised water for the day
This was standard practice on a Himalayan trek I went on many years ago. Never heard of anyone having a problem.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Go the whole hog; get an electric hook up and take an electric blanket. :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Ask a sensible question.... :roll:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Sigg in a sock.
Been using them for years no problem.
1 litre Platypus also works well and a bit more comfortable in the sleeping bag, but they do deteriorate a bit after some time due to the boiling water (maybe use slightly cooler).
horizon

Post by horizon »

iandusud wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:40pm I'm trying to keep weight and bulk down so std hot water bottle isn't really an option.
I totally take your point on that - they aren't the lightest of objects. Having said that, they do pay their way and possibly justify their weight. They are also the right shape for slipping down the side of a pannier. They provide a safe and usable form of heating inside a small tent where none other is really practical - and you don't need to be asleep to appreciate the warmth. As we all know, a sleeping bag doesn't provide warmth, it traps it, for which you need a source of that heat in the first place. I always take one (in the UK).

A couple of other points:

1. Rubber hot water bottles are heavier perhaps than plastic ones - I'm not sure.
2. I often take a child's size hot water bottle: it is enough in a sleeping bag.
3. There are smaller adult sizes too which can reduce weight and bulk.
4. If there is a hot water source, I use that and boil it to save fuel.

So that's the defence for the hot water bottle but, as you say, you are looking at lighter options.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

horizon wrote: 12 May 2021, 5:31pm
iandusud wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:40pm I'm trying to keep weight and bulk down so std hot water bottle isn't really an option.
I totally take your point on that - they aren't the lightest of objects. Having said that, they do pay their way and possibly justify their weight. They are also the right shape for slipping down the side of a pannier. They provide a safe and usable form of heating inside a small tent where none other is really practical - and you don't need to be asleep to appreciate the warmth. As we all know, a sleeping bag doesn't provide warmth, it traps it, for which you need a source of that heat in the first place. I always take one (in the UK).

A couple of other points:

1. Rubber hot water bottles are heavier perhaps than plastic ones - I'm not sure.
2. I often take a child's size hot water bottle: it is enough in a sleeping bag.
3. There are smaller adult sizes too which can reduce weight and bulk.
4. If there is a hot water source, I use that and boil it to save fuel.

So that's the defence for the hot water bottle but, as you say, you are looking at lighter options.
Thank you, all reasonable comments.
nikkip

Post by nikkip »

I use a (plastic) Camelback Podium bidon, wrapped in a tshirt or something as a precautionary measure.

Have you already got the aluminium bottle? How does it behave if you fill it with hot water in the comfort of your own kitchen? Have a play with whatever drinks bottles you've got to hand!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

nikkip wrote: 12 May 2021, 9:10pm Have you already got the aluminium bottle? How does it behave if you fill it with hot water in the comfort of your own kitchen? Have a play with whatever drinks bottles you've got to hand!
No I haven't but will pick one up at the weekend and try it out.

Cheers, Ian
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

rualexander wrote: 12 May 2021, 4:39pm Sigg in a sock. Been using them for years no problem.
And me. It's one of those blooming obvious things that done once on cold night you think why didn't I think of it before. Oh, and you can carry some water to drink during the day as well!