Snugpak Paratex sleeping bag liner

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Snugpak Paratex sleeping bag liner

Post by Sweep »

I like Snugpak stuff and have one of their sleeping bags.
I do have a silk bag liner but it is a tad delicate.
Wondering if the snugpak "paratex" liner might be an idea - tougher, good for extensive tours, still compact, still comfortable?
Anyone used one?
Does it breath OK?

edit May 31 - sorry folks - had a brainstorm - the heading should have said Paratex, as in the body of the post.
Have changed heading.
Last edited by Sweep on 31 May 2021, 8:46am, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
horizon

Re: Snugpak Pertex sleeping bag liner

Post by horizon »

I bought a RAB cotton liner for mine. More breathable and comfortable, very washable, extra warmth. It's for a down bag so I needed something. Oddly, it didn't come with a bit to cover the hood area (unless I've got it wrong). It also makes a nonsense of the long side zip as it isn't zipped. Having said that I'm very happy with it as it's cotton and I don't mind the extra weight - not everyone would agree.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

horizon wrote: 29 May 2021, 2:18pm I bought a RAB cotton liner for mine. More breathable and comfortable, very washable, extra warmth. It's for a down bag so I needed something. Oddly, it didn't come with a bit to cover the hood area (unless I've got it wrong). It also makes a nonsense of the long side zip as it isn't zipped. Having said that I'm very happy with it as it's cotton and I don't mind the extra weight - not everyone would agree.
I didn't think cotton added much warmth at all compared to other solutions.
In truth I can't think of any great advantage of cotton liners other than that they can be cheap.
I already have two or three, including a bizarre army one with velcro fastenings that I think is meant to aid fast entry and fast exit for a firefight, but I end up fighting with during the night.
Anyone out there used a Paratex one?
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Just googled that as I can't imagine Pertex being a suitable material, it seems to be Paratex, is that the same thing? googling that doesn't provide many answers.
I have a lightweight Poly-cotton one, 10% cotton (Or thereabouts), forget the make, I'm not very keen, it's either clammy when it gets warm, or doesn't add enough warmth. I suspect that's likely to be the case with any synthetic.
In the trad of not answering the question - I prefer lightweight PJ's or more likely PJ bottoms and a base layer top. It has the added advantage of not needing to put anything else on if you need to pop outside in the night.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 29 May 2021, 2:38pm Just googled that as I can't imagine Pertex being a suitable material, it seems to be Paratex, is that the same thing? googling that doesn't provide many answers.
I have a lightweight Poly-cotton one, 10% cotton (Or thereabouts), forget the make, I'm not very keen, it's either clammy when it gets warm, or doesn't add enough warmth. I suspect that's likely to be the case with any synthetic.
In the trad of not answering the question - I prefer lightweight PJ's or more likely PJ bottoms and a base layer top. It has the added advantage of not needing to put anything else on if you need to pop outside in the night.
some of the ones that give the impression of being cotton are I think actually polycotton - not good I agree.
I also wear PJ type stuff - blue thin syntheric thermals from Aldi - guaranteed to scare anyone I might encounter anight.
Back to Paratex - anyone?
Sweep
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

I have a Snugpak Softie Merlin 3 sleepimg bag, had it for 25 years but only use it occasionally these days.
It is made from Paratex, different grades on the outside and the inside.
Perfectly comfortable and I can't see why a liner made from Paratex wouldn't work well also.
I've always used silk liners though if I'm looking for a bit more warmth.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I have a pertex sleeping bag liner. It's lasted well (20+ years) and does add a bit of warmth but also feels cold to the touch.
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

I have a 20 year old pertex sleeping bag liner. Works well. Adds a bit of warmth and keeps the sleeping bag clean. Mine is and old Ajungilak (now Mammut) pertex sleeping bag liner. Much better than cotton. Hand wash it with mild detergent.
horizon

Post by horizon »

LinusR wrote: 29 May 2021, 11:01pm Much better than cotton.
In what way?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Best thing is it doesn't get sweaty. It vents vapour better. I've used both cotton and pertex. It's marginally lighter.
Oban

Post by Oban »

I prefer pertex to cotton because it is so slippy you don't get trussed up in it like you do with cotton.

The pertex is also windproof and it's surprising also how much extra warmth it gives, on summer nights I often sleep in it on it's own.

The downside is that it's not warm to get into but that feeling only lasts a few seconds.
horizon

Post by horizon »

LinusR wrote: 30 May 2021, 7:32am Best thing is it doesn't get sweaty. It vents vapour better. I've used both cotton and pertex. It's marginally lighter.
Thanks - that's interesting.
Sweep

Re: Snugpak Paratex sleeping bag liner

Post by Sweep »

Apologies folks.
Brainstorm
The thread title should have said
PARATEX

as in the body of my initial post.

Have changed the heading.
Sweep
LinusR

Post by LinusR »

Sweep wrote: 31 May 2021, 8:47am Apologies folks.
Brainstorm
The thread title should have said
PARATEX

as in the body of my initial post.

Have changed the heading.
This thread now reads like a Two Ronnies sketch...
nsew

Post by nsew »

Fork handles.

Rab silk liners are the best I’ve used. Can get ~20 months of use (3 adventures), sometimes requiring a simple field repair on the upper seam - though they are wide (36”?) at the opening. Wash doesn’t require soap and dry in no time. Can’t beat a quality silk for comfort in all temperatures, immediately warm to the skin in the cold and cool in the heat. Twice the price, half the weight and twenty times more comfortable.

I vaguely recall picking up a cheap silk liner some years ago which had to be binned pretty quickly.

Having said that I think the Snugpak jungle bag is Paratex, which I remember being quite comfy on the skin (800g for a 15c bag is crap though), but if you’re clammy after a days ride and haven’t washed, then any synthetic fibre is going to be a little uncomfortable. Horribly so as the temperatures climb.