Just Turning Up at Campsites

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Oldjohnw

Re: Just Turning Up at Campsites

Post by Oldjohnw »

leftpoole wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:29am
Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 5:03pm I don't mind paying a little more. I was quoted £26 for a tiny backpacker's tent.
They must be looking for people with money to burn!
Absolutely not me. I'm as tight as a duck's back side. And that's watertight.
John
PH

Post by PH »

Oldjohnw wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:31am
leftpoole wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 10:29am
Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 5:03pm I don't mind paying a little more. I was quoted £26 for a tiny backpacker's tent.
They must be looking for people with money to burn!
Absolutely not me. I'm as tight as a duck's back side. And that's watertight.
OK, I don't know the exact circumstances. But, if it's a business with X number of pitches to let and they're likely to be fully booked, why would anyone expect to pay less for one than someone else? I don't criticise the site for their business policy, it's their choice, as it's our choice whether to pay it or not, I wouldn't.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Just to say if it hasn't been said before that there are IME three things that affect being able to turn up on the day:

1. The weather: heavy rain on the day or in the forecast will clear out most campsites. Fine weather, especially a heatwave, will have the opposite effect.

2. Hook-ups: not needing a hook-up will generally get you in, almost certainly if (1) applies).

3. Arriving by bike: I remember arriving at a campsite (the only campsite?) in Bordeaux last year to face a Campsite Full sign. Yes, they got me in.

I think it goes without saying that Bank Holidays will be difficult but the Sunday night of a weekend or the Monday night of a Bank Holiday weekend is often easy. It might also be good to check out popular websites/guides and avoid the obviously attractive campsites. Some pop-up sites seem to have unlimited space even if they have very limited facilities.

I did a longish trip through eastern and southern England last summer. I had booked every site (and had difficulty booking some other sites that I had wanted to stay at). However I am now struggling to remember a single site that I couldn't have just turned up at on the day.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
beeb

Post by beeb »

In Scotland and similar problems, many sites not accepting tents. However, when I get home I will post a list of cycle friendly sites.
beeb

Post by beeb »

Meant to say, currently on tour.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

beeb wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 7:25pm In Scotland and similar problems, many sites not accepting tents. However, when I get home I will post a list of cycle friendly sites.
Have to admit the Lakes site I've previously used, aren't accepting tent users at present. Though on returning from Scafell Pike at 03.00am this morning, didn't have any issues having a shower and shave FOC, prior to catching my bus at 06.00am :wink:
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

That's no longer totally outrageous – I paid twenty quid last year (small backpacker's tent) for a site whose "facilities" ran to a flush toilet and tiny handbasin. I mean it's still totally outrageous, but...
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

nirakaro wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 12:49pm
That's no longer totally outrageous – I paid twenty quid last year (small backpacker's tent) for a site whose "facilities" ran to a flush toilet and tiny handbasin. I mean it's still totally outrageous, but...
It’s still outrageous. I saw one yesterday, several in fact, at £50. There are less and less available spaces because it appears that it is more profitable to have yurts and wigwams and shepherds’s huts. A tiny shed for £150.
John
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Not sure this thing about C&CC sites having to find you a space if you're on bike or foot is compatible with the requirement for those staying on many certificated sites to be "fully contained" due to the sites lacking toilet facilities.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 1:57pm Not sure this thing about C&CC sites having to find you a space if you're on bike or foot is compatible with the requirement for those staying on many certificated sites to be "fully contained" due to the sites lacking toilet facilities.
AFAIK all the C&CC sites have full facilities. Not to be confused with their certified sites which come under the C&CC umbrella but are not owned or managed by them. And also not to be confused with sites listed on their website but have no connection with the C&CC at all.

Lots of certified sites are very basic and yes, exclude cycle campers by virtue (or otherwise!) of not having toilet facilities (let alone showers) - nothing to do with covid. They all do have a disposal point and a water supply though.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

horizon wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 5:37pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 1:57pm Not sure this thing about C&CC sites having to find you a space if you're on bike or foot is compatible with the requirement for those staying on many certificated sites to be "fully contained" due to the sites lacking toilet facilities.
AFAIK all the C&CC sites have full facilities. Not to be confused with their certified sites which come under the C&CC umbrella but are not owned or managed by them. And also not to be confused with sites listed on their website but have no connection with the C&CC at all.

Lots of certified sites are very basic and yes, exclude cycle campers by virtue (or otherwise!) of not having toilet facilities (let alone showers) - nothing to do with covid. They all do have a disposal point and a water supply though.
So it does exclude the certificated sites. Glad to have cleared this up, thanks. :)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

C&CC last year rescinded the policy of always finding space for a solo walker of cyclist, as they had to make sure they knew who was going to turn up. I'm trying to find out if it has been offically reinstated. It is easy to book online for the Club's sites where this applies, but only as a car driver, which is more pricey as a non-member. So ring instaed - though it is very likely that you'd get your moeny back if you turned up with a bike instead, I did last week.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin