Just Turning Up at Campsites

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
iandusud

Just Turning Up at Campsites

Post by iandusud »

We're planning on a couple of weeks touring this summer around the Dales, north Pennines, upper Teesdale... using campsites. We haven't done this in over 30 years and that was in France. Our experience then was that you could just turn up they always found room for a 2 man tent. We even turned up in Millau on the day that the Tour de France was finishing there and the place was rammed including the campsites, but we still got in alright. Unfortunately we are confined to August when the schools are on holiday and of course staycations are de rigeur this year. We would prefer not to have to book everything in advance to give us more flexibility. So what is your experience here in the UK? Do full campsites find room for a small tent and no car?

Thanks, Ian
leftpoole

Re: Just Turning Up at Campsites

Post by leftpoole »

Generally. But... do not bank on it at some 'posh'(?) sites who are regimental. Camping in the Forest are usually happy. Camping and Caravan sites are hit and miss.
My experience has told me to phone a couple the day before, just to check.
Happy camping. I am camping from Sunday.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Do consider the impact of the pandemic and that it is possible/likely a lot more Brits will be holidaying in the UK and hotels, etc. already well booked-up so possible/likely camp sites will be crowded. Also whether this might have an impact on minimum booking stay (e.g. will a campsite desperate for income after nothing through 2020 be looking for maximum occupancy which might man full week stays?)

Not taking from experience as I guess as very likely there will still be overseas travel constraints/risks through 2021 and nobody can "know" what impact that will have on campsite spaces.

To complicate guesswork, the other day I heard on radio that it's thought quite a few people have multiple booked at different times through the summer holidays using free cancellation terms - so if early summer we are still in lockdown they cancel and use the mid-summer booking or worst case they cancel that and use the late summer booking or when they do get away they cancel the later bookings .... Basically cancel those they end-up not using either because they've already managed their holiday or lockdowns/restrictions prevented them getting a holiday.

Ian
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I'm working on the principle that all campsites will be fully booked hence the question about full campsites. Booking ahead generally means paying half on booking and the balance either on arrival or often two weeks ahead.
PH

Post by PH »

No one knows what it'll be like this year, my guess is it'll be busier than last year. I read a report from last season that said bookings were up 250%, so I'd expect the same this year. But I don't know what site capacity usually is, I've been on plenty that have been half full or less, even in high season.
Against that there's the relaxing of restriction on land use, the period it can be used as a pop up campsite without full planning has increased from 28 days to 56, so expect to see many farmers taking advantage of that.
Pre Covid, I hardly ever booked, only if a trip depended on being there at that time, or as part of a group. I've been turned away twice and rejected a couple on cost grounds, that's out of maybe 200. I'm not adverse to camping off site (I don't like to call it wild unless it actually is) If you're not comfortable with that idea the only way to be sure is to book.
Also - Some campsites are licensed by the number of pitches, when they're full, they're full, doesn't matter if you're a little tent or a five berth motorhome. I've seen comments elsewhere, that such campsites are also charging the same pitch price regardless. If they're expecting to be full, it makes no sense for them to offer the same pitch at a lower rate because you're using less of it. Whereas in the past, when they were not expecting to be full, they would have.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We're thinking of touring in the UK this year. We will fix our route and campsites booked before we head off. Partly that's how we roll but mostly because with a young child we need to be sure if a spot especially in these strange times. I think normal times you're probably ok except certain very popular and busy areas. Now all bets are off. After first lockdown was eased last year it was very hard to get into lake District sites even booking a month in advance we found out. Our favourite Keswick sites we couldn't get in but found a new favourite as a result of shopping around.
JMaude

Post by JMaude »

I am setting off on Monday for a 3 week tour. I normally just turn up at campsites and usually not had a problem. This year I have decided to book most places in advance. Double checking one that I hadn’t book I discovered that they were not accepting tents, neither was the alternative site they recommended. So I think it is worth this year checking and booking in advance.
mjr

Post by mjr »

leftpoole wrote: 4 Jun 2021, 2:20pm Generally. But... do not bank on it at some 'posh'(?) sites who are regimental. Camping in the Forest are usually happy.
Camping in the Forest say:
Can I arrive at the site without a booking?
Due to demand expected this year, and so we can manage numbers on site you must make a booking before arriving. Bookings can be made online, up to 6pm on the day of arrival.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Seems like more pop up camp sites are popping up, which might help with it increased summer demand

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-57364193

Cheers,

Keith
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

I live in Upper Teesdale and as far as I'm aware there are no campsites whatsoever beyond Middleton until you reach Alston.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

PhilD28 wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:33am I live in Upper Teesdale and as far as I'm aware there are no campsites whatsoever beyond Middleton until you reach Alston.
Yes, the ones I have looked at are High Side Farm, nr Middleton and from there Haggs Bank before heading towards Penrith.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

PhilD28 wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:33am I live in Upper Teesdale and as far as I'm aware there are no campsites whatsoever beyond Middleton until you reach Alston.
But loads of places to camp. But in respect to campsites? I've never booked a campsite, can't recall ever having had an issue, other than campsites in the Lakes / Dales being packed in peak periods and worth avoiding
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Traction_man wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 10:48pm Seems like more pop up camp sites are popping up, which might help with it increased summer demand

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-57364193

Cheers,

Keith
Funnily enough a couple of weeks ago I was speculating with my wife about the possibility of pop up campsites this summer and beyond as it would appear demand will outstrip supply. For many years I have been involved in the setting up of a large summer camp which involves bringing in portable toilets and showers (along with other necessary infrastructure), so I am aware of the practicalities of running a short term campsite. So it struck me that anyone with a bit of suitable land could earn themselves quite a bit of money running a campsite for the months of July and August. I imagine local temporary permission would be needed but I'm sure local authorities are only too happy to encourage tourists to spend their money. During the UCI World Championships in Harrogate a number of campsites were set up, one on a cricket ground, another on a farm. A nice little earner as they say (although with all the rain we had the cricket ground looked like a mud bath at the end of the week!).
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

gbnz wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:54am
But loads of places to camp. But in respect to campsites? I've never booked a campsite, can't recall ever having had an issue, other than campsites in the Lakes / Dales being packed in peak periods and worth avoiding
When you say "But loads of places to camp" to what are you referring?

Unfortunately the Dales and the edge of the Lakes is where we're heading. The Lakes we can avoid but not the Dales.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

iandusud wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:51am
Yes, the ones I have looked at are High Side Farm, nr Middleton and from there Haggs Bank before heading towards Penrith.
Of course Upper Teesdale doesn't realy start until you get above High Force. There are places you can wild camp but not legally and the local landowners and Raby estates keepers are not known for there sensitivity regarding wild campers.

I've wild camped all over the world but would be cautious of doing so in upper Teesdale, it's not as remote as you think and in many of places that people think are remote there's often someone watching. That said it can be done if you know the area and are cautious.