Just Turning Up at Campsites

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
iandusud

Re: Just Turning Up at Campsites

Post by iandusud »

PhilD28 wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 10:17am
iandusud wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:51am
PhilD28 wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:33am I live in Upper Teesdale and as far as I'm aware there are no campsites whatsoever beyond Middleton until you reach Alston.
Yes, the ones I have looked at are High Side Farm, nr Middleton and from there Haggs Bank before heading towards Penrith.
Of course Upper Teesdale doesn't realy start until you get above High Force. There are places you can wild camp but not legally and the local landowners and Raby estates keepers are not known for there sensitivity regarding wild campers.

I've wild camped all over the world but would be cautious of doing so in upper Teesdale, it's not as remote as you think and in many of places that people think are remote there's often someone watching. That said it can be done if you know the area and are cautious.
Whilst I would consider wild camping as a last resort if legal I'm not prepared to do so otherwise, so not an option.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PhilD28 wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 10:17am

I've wild camped all over the world but would be cautious of doing so in upper Teesdale, it's not as remote as you think and in many of places that people think are remote there's often someone watching.
gotta ask, who?
There are people just sat there awatching?:
Sweep
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

I ride that road over the tops almost every day, early morning and late evening. There are many gamekeepers and farmers checking their stock morning and night. I've seen a few people wild camping on that route and also being moved on by Raby estates gamekeepers, who are very protective of their shooting estate.
It doesn't really matter to me whether you wild camp or not there, your choice, I'm just offering some advice based upon local knowledge.

I enjoy wild camping in remote places, it's part of the joy of travelling by bike for me but I don't like getting moved on just after I get camped because I'm trespassing, so I avoid that situation.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

iandusud wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 9:31am
When you say "But loads of places to camp" to what are you referring?

Unfortunately the Dales and the edge of the Lakes is where we're heading. The Lakes we can avoid but not the Dales.
[/quote]

As stated above, wild camp. Both the Dales & the Lakes tend to be more difficult than less popular parts of the country, but I've never had an issue. The age old approach of turning up late, leaving early and ensuring you're out of sight always works.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

Note that Camping and Caravan club sites HAVE to find you a spot even if you are not a member.
I was told this by the site manager in St Neots in 2013.
It's because their founder put it into their constitution that anyone turning up and NOT in a motorised vehicle has to be found a place.
So if you are on foot, in a canoe or on a bicycle you just turn up and get a place.

Please let me know if anyone knows that this has changed.
PaulaT

Post by PaulaT »

rollinbone wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:03am Note that Camping and Caravan club sites HAVE to find you a spot even if you are not a member.
It's because their founder put it into their constitution that anyone turning up and NOT in a motorised vehicle has to be found a place.
So if you are on foot, in a canoe or on a bicycle you just turn up and get a place.

That's a very interesting nugget of information. Thanks for sharing it.
rollinbone

Post by rollinbone »

PaulaT wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:12am
rollinbone wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:03am Note that Camping and Caravan club sites HAVE to find you a spot even if you are not a member.

I'm still wondering though if cos of Covid etc they could just get swamped, so maybe just good check anyway?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

rollinbone wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:52am
PaulaT wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 10:12am

I'm still wondering though if cos of Covid etc they could just get swamped, so maybe just good check anyway?
I'd certainly check rather than relying on this.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Is anyone able to provide a link to such a statement or an official comment?

My problem has been the absurd prices they often want to charge
John
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I 'turned up' at New Forest site Ocknell recently. No problem find a space. I was actually in my car too.
However I can tell all. The toilets are disgusting. I have actually reported this to the sites owners who appear under Forest Holidays terminology but are in fact Camping and Caravan Club owned.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 1:46pm

Yup - would be great to get a citation of some sort :)

(might be worth paying a little more for the certainty of getting in?)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I don't mind paying a little more. I was quoted £26 for a tiny backpacker's tent.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mattheus wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 4:17pm

At a Glasgow caravan and motor home show around 4 yes ago. I visited the C& CC stand and asked a similar question.
I did not get a definitive answer. Some hadn’t heard of it and others weren’t confident enough to give a definite yes. Personally I think sites are licensed for X number/amount and another 4 people arriving by bike might tip the balance. Only the warden in charge will know and will make the decision. A problem I’m experiencing, more with CMHC is booking is centralised and calls go to people WFH who’s knowledge is dependent on the info they see on their screen. I’ve heard just today from wardens who have had spaces on their sites yet the computer said full!
As for pricing I’m sure I’ve posted this before but here we go again.
Backpacker Deals
If you’re a backpacker, who travels independently without the use of a car, you could be eligible for exclusive discounts.

Member backpackers can receive a discount of up to 30% off Club Site fees*, while non-member backpackers can receive up to 17% off Club Site fees*.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Oldjohnw wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 5:03pm I don't mind paying a little more. I was quoted £26 for a tiny backpacker's tent.
They must be looking for people with money to burn!
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Paulatic wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 6:48pm
mattheus wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 4:17pm

At a Glasgow caravan and motor home show around 4 yes ago. I visited the C& CC stand and asked a similar question.
I did not get a definitive answer. Some hadn’t heard of it and others weren’t confident enough to give a definite yes. Personally I think sites are licensed for X number/amount and another 4 people arriving by bike might tip the balance. Only the warden in charge will know and will make the decision. A problem I’m experiencing, more with CMHC is booking is centralised and calls go to people WFH who’s knowledge is dependent on the info they see on their screen. I’ve heard just today from wardens who have had spaces on their sites yet the computer said full!
As for pricing I’m sure I’ve posted this before but here we go again.
Backpacker Deals
If you’re a backpacker, who travels independently without the use of a car, you could be eligible for exclusive discounts.

Member backpackers can receive a discount of up to 30% off Club Site fees*, while non-member backpackers can receive up to 17% off Club Site fees*.
Correct!