Campsites near Dulverton

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Thehairs1970

Campsites near Dulverton

Post by Thehairs1970 »

I have really struggled to find a public campsite near Dulverton. Most in the area seem to be C&CC ones. Any ideas? Or any good wild camping spots near there. Heading on to Barnestaple from there but don’t want to go much further.
horizon

Re: Campsites near Dulverton

Post by horizon »

When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/calc ... 1009&sort=

This shows sites near Dulverton, that take tents and aren't members only, not too many to choose from
Richard M
Cardiff
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 8:47pm I have really struggled to find a public campsite near Dulverton. Most in the area seem to be C&CC ones.
They aren't C&CC (where you can camp), they're Caravan and Motorhome Club sites, where you can't. The C&CC certified site which I listed should be fine.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 12:16am they're Caravan and Motorhome Club sites, where you can't.
except on some you can :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
horizon

Post by horizon »

Paulatic wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 8:34am
horizon wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 12:16am they're Caravan and Motorhome Club sites, where you can't.
except on some you can :D
Unfortunately both the ones in Dulverton say you cannot (which I think is standard). But otherwise I agree with you, I know of a couple where you can.

Having said that, I would still steer clear of them, not having a squeaky clean £30,000 caravan and equally priced shiny "tow car" with which to join a group of what appear to me to be somewhat OCD "campers".
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

horizon wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 11:28am Having said that, I would still steer clear of them, not having a squeaky clean £30,000 caravan and equally priced shiny "tow car" with which to join a group of what appear to me to be somewhat OCD "campers".
:lol: :lol: Once true but a little outdated. I think you have to have a>80K motor home and never stay anywhere longer than two nights making it hard for anyone to get a full week everywhere.
Posted from a fantastic C&CC CS site near Alston £12.50/night with hook up. :D

E2E info
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Thanks for the answers. So I can stay at c&cc sites if I’m not a member?

I’m hoping not to pre-book as it will depend on how I am feeling to know how far I go.

Wish me luck…
horizon

Post by horizon »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 23 Jun 2021, 3:20pm Thanks for the answers. So I can stay at c&cc sites if I’m not a member?
Generally yes.

But do be careful to distinguish between C&CC's own sites (usualy large, all facilities, open to non-members, busy in summer) and C&CC's certificated sites (usually small, basic if any facilities, not owned or managed by C&CC) which nowadays are not supposed to let you on if you aren't a member. This is a hugely controversial requirement that has led many small sites to leave the auspices of the C&CC and set up their own certification organisation. IME though they will always let you on and don't ask for membership.

Wish me luck…
Of course! :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Club sites will state "open to non members"
Certified sites will say members only, I’ve stopped at some who never bother asking for your membership number these are linked to a commercial field and find listing as a CS beneficial.
The C&CC site seeker app is very good as you could filter your search for facilities you require. Worth looking at but I’m not certain what information is available to non members.

E2E info
griggsy

Post by griggsy »

Get up onto the ridge road after Dulverton and you could wild camp somewhere, big old hill getting there though. I’ve wild camped on Room Hill above Exford.