Cycle camping with a dog - advice please

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
rabbiton

Cycle camping with a dog - advice please

Post by rabbiton »

Hi
does anyone cycle camp with their dog? If you do what is the best way to transport him? I keep swinging from dragging a trailer to a basket mounted on front or rear pannier rack. Mine is a 6kg terrier. Any recommendations gratefully received.
Thanks
thirdcrank

Re: Cycle camping with a dog - advice please

Post by thirdcrank »

I was going to post we had a thread about this recently but you seem to have started it

[threads merged by moderator]
rabbiton

Post by rabbiton »

Thank you I am inspired. It was really to get to campsites. I have found most are dog friendly. Of course if I was off road he would be let out for a run. As for shopping etc I never leave my bike. I only shop at markets or garage forecourts at the side window, so my buddy would never be left. It would seem such a shame to get to be experiencing an area walking etc and not have him with me.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

I toured with my dogs in a trailer years ago. I had 2 smallish dogs and we toured Isle of Wight and Norfolk/Suffolk. I then switched to an Xtracycle and had them on the back.

Based on my experiences, I'd suggest the following:-

Keep weight in mind. A trailer is heavier than a basket at the front of the bike.

Safety. I harnessed the dogs into the trailer. A basket is visible to you all the time, so easier to keep an eye out for any issues. A basket could, however, affect bike handling, so practice runs might be useful.

Quality. If you go for a trailer, I'd go for something decent. Carry Freedom, for example, do quality flatbed trailers, which can be adapted to carry a dog.

Route choice. My dogs got a bit restless in the trailer. Off road options are great for giving the dog chance to exercise.

Terrain. I remember the Isle of Wight tour being a tad strenuous on the hills, because of the combined weight of the trailer/dogs/luggage.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

A few years back met a couple touring on Arran with their dog and a trailer (kiddie style).
Apparently the dog ran alongside them until tired then rode in the trailer.
This arrangement seemed to work, but Arran has very quiet roads.