Cycle camping with a dog - advice please

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
rabbiton

Touring with a dog

Post by rabbiton »

Hi does anyone tour with their dog? I would like to take my small terrier with me. I sometimes use bridleways as well as road. Anyone have any recommendations for the best way to transport him on a cycle camping tour?
Thanks
Paulatic

Re: Touring with a dog

Post by Paulatic »

I don’t but
I did meet on the road a guy from Kings Lynn on his holidays to Scotland. Two panniers and tent at the back a wooden box on the front holding a very happy Jack Russel.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There's a chap near here, with a Border Collie in his trailer behind his bike. The trailer is one of the those people transport children in. One very much like this.
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-a ... 30508.html
Seen him around and about in the roads near Tavistock, and even in Lidl's with his doggie left on guard of the bike whilst sitting nicely in the trailer! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

Chap near me regularly cycles with his Jack Russell dog in a box/cage on the rear rack of his MTB
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The couple I met touring with a dog in a trailer told me that the dog ran alongside up hills, but rode downhill.
Sounds to me like a good idea.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

If your dog is chilled enough not to jump out a box seems to be a good way to go. I met this family from Colombia halfway through a year long world tour carrying their very happy dog in this way.
FB_IMG_1623096283737.jpg
FB_IMG_1623096210134.jpg
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

I don't recall ever seeing dog or cat in a box or h/b basket at "Birthday Rides" but quite common at Semaine Federal.
I suspect mostly Dutch.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I did have a picture of a man doing Paris Brest Paris with his dog on the front
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We do day rides with our dog in a trailer. We also have a small terrier type dog and have a DoggyRide Mini trailer.
The trailer was about £200 and they do bigger versions if your dog is bigger.

We’ve been out today as a matter of fact - about 20 miles from Barnard Castle to Middleton in Teesdale and back. Part off road and part on road.

Old railway paths are usually good for taking your dog -some bridleway are a bit rough - the dog can get shaken about a bit. We’ve done several of the Peak District rail paths. The top picture is on another our rides in Norfolk (to give an idea of the size of our dog) and the bottom picture below is my rig. Room for panniers for touring, but you need very low gears as the trailer creates a fair amount of drag, especially on hilly rides.
Attachments
4E51E03F-99EB-4FE7-B5D0-F37D9DFA321F.jpeg
58046326-11EF-4185-8022-DBC980DE6141.jpeg
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
jb

Post by jb »

Dogs get pleasure from exercise and smells. Taking them out on a trailer is fine as long as they can jump out and run along and sniff excrement and pee and all the other wholesome canine delight's. Just letting them ride in a basket is like showing a monkey a picture of a banana.
My dog used to go mountain biking with me and run along side. So long as I had plenty of stops for it to sniff around it was a happy pooch.
Cheers
J Bro
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I know a couple of people who regularly take long days with their dog using a pet trailer, and I met someone touring with one last year. It looked like good fun :)

Quite a few of the pet trailers are quite open at the front. If this is the approach you go for, from using a child trailer, I would recommend adding a mudflap to your mudguards, if you don't have one. You might also want to consider a splash guard on the trailer, or buying a pet trailer that has a little better rain/mud protection in the front. I think Burley do a little better at this, but I haven't seen the small pet version of their trailer.
gregoryoftours wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 9:06pm If your dog is chilled enough not to jump out a box seems to be a good way to go.
The boxes and baskets made for carrying pets have harness clips, so you don't need to worry about the dog jumping out.
TrevA wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 7:04pm Room for panniers for touring, but you need very low gears as the trailer creates a fair amount of drag, especially on hilly rides.
As someone who has toured with kids, I wouldn't worry too much about this. We just walked the bits I could't pedal up. I expect a dog will like that more than my kids did :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Not going to happen with mine (border collie and a colie/whippet cross), squirrel chasers, deer chasers, rabbit chasers, one doesn't like cockapoos the other is scared of loud noises. Must be a well-trained dog that doesn't react so mine are oot! I'm not even doing bikejor with them.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

TrevA wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 7:04pm We do day rides with our dog in a trailer. We also have a small terrier type dog and have a DoggyRide Mini trailer.
The trailer was about £200 and they do bigger versions if your dog is bigger.

We’ve been out today as a matter of fact - about 20 miles from Barnard Castle to Middleton in Teesdale and back. Part off road and part on road.

Old railway paths are usually good for taking your dog -some bridleway are a bit rough - the dog can get shaken about a bit. We’ve done several of the Peak District rail paths. The top picture is on another our rides in Norfolk (to give an idea of the size of our dog) and the bottom picture below is my rig. Room for panniers for touring, but you need very low gears as the trailer creates a fair amount of drag, especially on hilly rides.
Barnard Castle ? Is your dog a guide dog then?
I am here. Where are you?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Up until a couple of years ago I was thinking and rethinking the possibility of touring with a dog and travelling solo and some questions in my mind:

1. EU: Ferries don't accept dogs other than in cars (or they didn't)
2. EU: Pet Passport regs for return journey may be more difficult with vet bookings (though Pet Passport is probably a whole lot harder these days)
3. Camping: UK seems increasingly dog unfriendly so would camp sites be harder to find with a dog? (France seems very dog friendly, no idea about NL/DE/etc.).
4. I'd have been travelling with a Border Collie: Food: not good to keep changing foods so for a longer tour either a lot of panning or a lot of weight/bulk
5. Security: Even then dog theft existed but these days it sounds a lot lot worse - what to do stopping at supermarket for food or to a restaurant?

Ian
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

jb wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:44pm Dogs get pleasure from exercise and smells. Taking them out on a trailer is fine as long as they can jump out and run along and sniff excrement and pee and all the other wholesome canine delight's. Just letting them ride in a basket is like showing a monkey a picture of a banana.
My dog used to go mountain biking with me and run along side. So long as I had plenty of stops for it to sniff around it was a happy pooch.
Ours is only a small dog but she can walk 6 or 7 miles. We do stop every 5-10 miles to let her out for a walk. Took her out today in the trailer from Whitley Bay down the coast to Tynemouth, where she had an extended walk around the Castle/ Priory, then she went on the Ferry across the Tyne and had another long walk at Souter Lighthouse. I think we did 23 miles in 5 hours on the bikes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com