Campsite Near Stourport

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
richardfm

Campsite Near Stourport

Post by richardfm »

I want to do a ride from Gloucester to Shrewsbury, camping overnight in the Stourport area. Ideally I'd like a small campsite not too far from a pub or shops. I don't need any facilities other than water and a toilet. I've done some searching but can't find anything that appeals. Can anyone suggest anywhere?
Richard M
Cardiff
Oldjohnw

Re: Campsite Near Stourport

Post by Oldjohnw »

richardfm wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 7:24pm I want to do a ride from Gloucester to Shrewsbury, camping overnight in the Stourport area. Ideally I'd like a small campsite not too far from a pub or shops. I don't need any facilities other than water and a toilet. I've done some searching but can't find anything that appeals. Can anyone suggest anywhere?
I wait with interest. Too many seem to be glamping sites, not interested in simple one man tents.
John
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

My go-to website is ukcampsite.co.uk and the nearest one it shows to Stourport is Lickhill Manor Caravan Site, it'll cost £17 for a small tent. Wolverley Camping and Caravan Club site will cost around £10 if not less, but it's north of Kidderminster, not really near Stourport. Reliable though.
Oddly some of the most basic sites charge quite a lot!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Join the Fell Club their magazine editor lives in Stourport and allows camping by members in his garden.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Slowroad wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 8:50pm My go-to website is ukcampsite.co.uk and the nearest one it shows to Stourport is Lickhill Manor Caravan Site, it'll cost £17 for a small tent. Wolverley Camping and Caravan Club site will cost around £10 if not less, but it's north of Kidderminster, not really near Stourport. Reliable though.
Oddly some of the most basic sites charge quite a lot!
Yes, ukcampsite is what I use mostly. Lickhill Manor Caravan Site has no availability for one man and a tent on the date I had in mind and looks a bit big and commercial for my liking. Wolverley is an option though, it's not too much of a detour
Richard M
Cardiff
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Wolverley's a nice spot - good pub by the canal. The Severnside sites tend to be a bit caravan-y but the Unicorn at Hampton Loade could be worth trying. If you'd consider somewhere nearer Worcester, the Camp House at Grimley is a legendary pub, but I'm not sure if they've yet reopened their campsite post-Covid.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 10:07pm Wolverley's a nice spot - good pub by the canal. The Severnside sites tend to be a bit caravan-y but the Unicorn at Hampton Loade could be worth trying. If you'd consider somewhere nearer Worcester, the Camp House at Grimley is a legendary pub, but I'm not sure if they've yet reopened their campsite post-Covid.
The Camp House was one that I found, I couldn't find anything to indicate that they still do camping and recent reviews on Trip Advisor talked of unfriendly service and poor value food. I didn't find the Unicorn so will investigate that but the C&CC site at Wolverley is looking good.

[EDIT]
Hampton Loade looks to be a bit further than I want to go in one day from Gloucester
Richard M
Cardiff
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

richardfm wrote: 27 Jun 2021, 10:11pmThe Camp House was one that I found, I couldn't find anything to indicate that they still do camping and recent reviews on Trip Advisor talked of unfriendly service and poor value food.
It's a proper old-fashioned pub. I can imagine the TripAdvisor crowd turning up wanting a Hungry Horse or a gastropub... it's about as far removed from that as possible. But we go there regularly (by boat) and love it. The elderly owners live on the premises so they're understandably on the cautious side re: Covid, which might explain why some find it unfriendly, but we've always found them very welcoming. The fact there's a Camp House Appreciation Society on Facebook illustrates that lots of people like it!

There is definitely a campsite field - I wouldn't be surprised if they're not taking caravans at the moment, but you could try ringing them and asking if they'd take a tent. They don't take cards though (no reliable internet connection).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

The last time I was at the Camp House (about 18 months ago) the campsite was closed. Also from the A443 it is quite a detour down a dead-end lane to get to the pub. If you are looking at that area, I believe the riverside campsite at Holt Fleet is open. This is a better option as it is only few miles further. If you decide to go there, after passing Top Barn Farm complex on the A443 take the right turn to Holt Church. Carry on past the church and don’t be put off by the lane getting narrower, it will bring you out just above the Fleet. Also, from there you could stay on the East side of the river using the lanes through to Kidderminster.

If you decide to go further, stay on the West side of the river to Bewdley here are a couple of sites I know cycle campers have used in the past but you would have to go direct to find the current situation.

Bannut Tree Farm, Pound Green. Tel 01299 401251. All year. Casual visit. Rough meadow, level, hedge shelter. Water on site. Toilets at farm 350yds. Pub (meals/real ale) nearby.

Far Forest: Yew Tree Farm, Pound Bank. Tel 01299-266300. Casual visit, usually busy at Easter and Spring Bank Holidays. All year. Level, sheltered, secluded pitch. Water, toilets and showers. On the edge of the Wyre Forest.

The latest information I have about Wolverly is that they require advanced bookings even for cycle campers, so check with them before turning up there. It is reachable on the canal towpath from Stourport, the simplest way if you don’t know the roads around there.

BTW. I was being serious about the Fell Club suggestion.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Thanks for this. I shall look at these options.
Richard M
Cardiff
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I'm getting the train from Cardiff tomorrow morning to Gloucester then cycling to Wolverley where I am booked in the Camping and Caravanning Club site. The following day I will cycle to Shrewsbury then get the train home. I expect to get wet on Tuesday if not tomorrow. The trains are all booked so too late to change my mind now, at least it won't be cold even if it is wet.
Richard M
Cardiff