Hubba Hubba NX broken strut

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
matt2matt2002

Hubba Hubba NX broken strut

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I'm pretty sure it was my error but I managed to damage one end of a central strut. It kind of split. I don't think I had inserted it completely

I emailed the msr support folk and after clarifying the exact part (some are curved), one is on its way to me FOC.

Great service.

Anyone any experience of fitting a replacement?
The shock cord could make it tricky.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
nsew

Re: Hubba Hubba NX broken strut

Post by nsew »

Prise the end cap off and note how the cord is attached. Undo the cord and remove the pole sections, placing them in the order they were removed. You’ll need to stretch the shock cord out, leaving a length that will drop down through each pole section as they’re replaced. You may find it easier to attach fishing line or wire to the shock cord to pull through each pole section.
Attachments
7964F1D5-1B5A-49AE-A056-CD9962F997AF.jpeg
Antbrewer

Post by Antbrewer »

I have just 3 wks ago bought a Hubba Hubba NX. I have yet to use it on the road but have put it up in the garden a few times. I will remember this procedure if it happens to me.
Looks an ideal cycle camping tent I hope.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I've used it 9 times. There are a couple of ( for me ) tricky points to learn in the beginning but soon mastered.
I also use a tarpaulin ground sheet. I would suggest that's a must, to prolong tent life.
And fully insert the pole struts. I didn't, & caused the issue described.
Oh, and some of the struts are slightly curved. Make sure you position those accordingly when assembling.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Antbrewer wrote: 3 Jul 2021, 4:04pm I have just 3 wks ago bought a Hubba Hubba NX. I have yet to use it on the road but have put it up in the garden a few times. I will remember this procedure if it happens to me.
Looks an ideal cycle camping tent I hope.
I’m okay with mine but it’s not a favourite. I got a big Agnes for solo stuff that I think I prefer (haven’t used it enough to come to a final conclusion).

I still miss my single skin 1-2 person Vaude (early Taurus I think) that then boyfriend and I could squeeze into ok. Daughter saw that tent on its final outing and looked at rather rotund parents and for every afterwards has expressed amazement that a)we like camping and b) used to share a single person tent!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

out of interest is this part something specific to the tent - ie: non generic?
Am always a bit wary of such things/try to minimise the use of.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Sweep wrote: 7 Jul 2021, 4:55pm out of interest is this part something specific to the tent - ie: non generic?
Am always a bit wary of such things/try to minimise the use of.
The part that split is specifically for the Hubba Hubba. Maybe there are temp repair options.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Fantastic service.
Today I received X3 replacement struts for the one broken.
Plus a guide for fixing.
Not a hard job but took my time and perfect result.
The struts do vary in length ( & some are pre curved ) but I think I'll carry a spare on my trips.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The actual pole sections are pretty generic, although the exact diameter & length, and any pronounced curve will be specific to a particular model of tent.

A replacement section is needed for a permanent repair, but it's quite common for people to carry a temporary repair splint like this:
https://www.openair.co.uk/camping-c11/g ... 026/s40009
With many of the better brands, you get an appropriate splint included in with the tent.
As it say on it (in this case) you need to tape it in place so it stays put over the damaged section.

In order to minimise the chances of damage, make sure that the joints are fully pushed home, that you don't manage to partially separate them when threading the assembled pole into a sleeve, and that you don't allow the shock cord to just snap the pole segments together.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

" In order to minimise the chances of damage, make sure that the joints are fully pushed home, that you don't manage to partially separate them when threading the assembled pole into a sleeve, and that you don't allow the shock cord to just snap the pole segments together."

Good advice. I think I hadn't pushed the joint fully home when my section split.

I take my time now but am still amazed at how quickly it goes up.
Ground sheet down first if course.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

" In order to minimise the chances of damage, make sure that the joints are fully pushed home, that you don't manage to partially separate them when threading the assembled pole into a sleeve, and that you don't allow the shock cord to just snap the pole segments together."

Good advice. I think I hadn't pushed the joint fully home when my section split.

I take my time now but am still amazed at how quickly it goes up.
Ground sheet down first if course.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

www.extremtextil.de is a good source for such parts.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Are you rubbing it in, Willem? Looks like a cracking store but they no longer ship to GB.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Sorry did not mean to. But yes, it exemplifies the situation.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Our situation is further made worse by ‘substantial origin’ of materials in a product. For example, Hilleberg fabrics, poles, fittings are South Korean in origin and consequently cost more to import from the EU. Same applies to products we export to the EU. A remarkable loose loose deal.