Campsite Pricing

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
beeb

Re: Campsite Pricing

Post by beeb »

would it be a good idea to start a spreadsheet of campsites that offer backpacker rates, or has somebody already done this ?

is there somewhere that this could be done as a collaborative effort,which could be updated by people as the notice change

would need someone more IT competant than I.

just a thought
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

beeb wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 5:40pm would it be a good idea
I don’t think so. Would it ever be comprehensive and how quickly much of it would out of date.
By the time I’d remembered to find and look at the database I’d have rang where I was thinking to go and enquired.
Sometimes I think we, and I include myself, spend too much time browsing web sites looking for info. Speaking and discussing with a person can take less than a couple of minutes. Providing they answer of course.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The CC (Caravan Club) is now the Caravan and Motorhome Club (as mentioned above). As far as I know the CC never allowed tents apart from young uns in 'pup' tents next to 'vans. I presume this is still the case with the newly named C&MC - so you can keep these out of the tourers with tents discussion.

I have found a few old school C&CC club sites that are under a tenner for a pitch. Off to one that's only a fiver soon. I am not a member but have an old Big Book which was their listing, probably only on the net now, but still searchable. Some of these old places left the club because they didn't want to pay the fees and/or comply with new more onerous rules. One of these is a place that I have been using for over 30 years. Only a few regulars go now - only £6 a night.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 6:24pm The CC (Caravan Club) is now the Caravan and Motorhome Club (as mentioned above). As far as I know the CC never allowed tents apart from young uns in 'pup' tents next to 'vans. I presume this is still the case with the newly named C&MC - so you can keep these out of the tourers with tents discussion.

I have found a few old school C&CC club sites that are under a tenner for a pitch. Off to one that's only a fiver soon. I am not a member but have an old Big Book which was their listing, probably only on the net now, but still searchable. Some of these old places left the club because they didn't want to pay the fees and/or comply with new more onerous rules. One of these is a place that I have been using for over 30 years. Only a few regulars go now - only £6 a night.
well where is it? - do tell - and add to the list of recommended sites.
please.
Sweep
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

PH wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 10:13am
iandusud wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 8:12am Where did I misrepresent their charging?
They quoted me £17 per person per night. I queried this with them as their website quotes £30 per night for 2 adults with a caravan (and car) including electric hook up (they also quote camping at £17 pppn but I thought that must mean per pitch per night). They have confirmed that it is in fact £4 more expensive to spend a night there for two people arriving by tandem
As already pointed out - they're not offering the same pitches at different prices depending on usage, but different pitches. A car free landscaped wildflower meadow or woodland site for the tented campers, a car park for the motorhomes and caravans.
That's no different to a hotel having different rates for different rooms.
I still don't see where I misrepresented their charging. From their website:
Motorhomes/Caravans (with electric hookup)
£30 per night including 2 adults
Extra guests age 3 to 15 years+ £5 per person
15 years + £10 per person

Camping
£17pppn for age 15+
£12pppn for ages 3-15
Under 3s free
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sweep wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 7:13pm
simonhill wrote: 9 Jul 2021, 6:24pm The CC (Caravan Club) is now the Caravan and Motorhome Club (as mentioned above). As far as I know the CC never allowed tents apart from young uns in 'pup' tents next to 'vans. I presume this is still the case with the newly named C&MC - so you can keep these out of the tourers with tents discussion.

well where is it? - do tell - and add to the list of recommended sites.
please.
The fiver one is on the C&CC website. It's in Rutland, near Corby. The six quid one is in Essex, but is now a mates place since he left the Club, so I won't advertise.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

Today I booked with https://www.burnbake.com/, The Purbeck in Poole, normal rate for a car and one person is £20 and a bunch of extras, however, for cyclists is £14.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Sixty years ago I was on a camping tour of Ireland with my parents.
A farmer charged us five bob to camp in a field with no facilities.
When Dad said this was expensive the farmer said, "It's a grand view."
So Dad took a photo, which was always referred to as the five bob view in family slide shows.
It was in truth a grand view over the sea.

I have realised that young people might need "five bob" expressed in 2021 terms.
It's twenty five pence, or, by one online inflation calculator, £5.90.
Dad was a frugal minded school teacher, with five children.
Irish pounds were valued as UK pounds, one to one.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 13 Jul 2021, 10:11am, edited 2 times in total.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:43am Sixty years ago I was on a camping tour of Ireland with my parents.
When Dad said this was expensive the farmer said, "It's a lovely view."
So Dad took a photo, which was always referred to as the five bob view in family slide shows.
😀👍
John
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:43am Sixty years ago I was on a camping tour of Ireland with my parents.
When Dad said this was expensive the farmer said, "It's a grand view."

I have realised that young people might need "five bob" expressed in 2021 terms.
It's twenty five pence, or, by one online inflation calculator, £5.90.
Dad was a frugal minded school teacher, with five children.
Irish pounds were valued as UK pounds, one to one.
Great story!

I'm always a bit suspicious of those inflation calculators though.

In England in 1960 a loaf of bread was 6d.

Not sure what it was in Ireland then but say it was about the same, the five bob would then work out at around £12 by today's costs of a loaf of bread (ie £1.20).

Cheers,

Keith
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Another slide from that trip that I remember shows our VW Kombi van being hoisted by crane aboard the Dublin Ferry in Glasgow.
For some reason, perhaps late booking, we had to drive from Spalding to the Clyde to get to Ireland.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mike Sales wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 6:56pm Another slide from that trip that I remember shows our VW Kombi van being hoisted by crane aboard the Dublin Ferry in Glasgow.
For some reason, perhaps late booking, we had to drive from Spalding to the Clyde to get to Ireland.
ro-ro ferries hadn't arrived back then, our first trip to Scandinavia in 1965 involved the car being lashed to the open deck for the North Sea crossing, by the following year the MS Winston Churchill was in service and our next trip was a lot less 'interesting' as a result (although the crossing was the worst in living memory, even the Captain was sick!)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!