New tent?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: New tent?

Post by Sweep »

ossie wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 10:12am . I previously tried 8.5mm but its indeed the 9.02mm required.
9.02mm!! what sort of measurement/emerging standard is that?
I always try to stick to commonly available pole diamaters - generic replacements very easy to find/cut to length.
Sweep
nsew

Post by nsew »

Vaude / Yunan ~55cm long, I can see why some have to strap their tents lengthways on a rack. Hilleberg / DAC are ~42cm. The Wild Country Compact / Superflex are ~35cm. The industry standard is DAC in South Korea.

https://www.dacpole.com/tent-poles
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

nsew wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 11:47am Vaude / Yunan ~55cm long, I can see why some have to strap their tents lengthways on a rack. Hilleberg / DAC are ~42cm. The Wild Country Compact / Superflex are ~35cm. The industry standard is DAC in South Korea.

Yunan are equally as good as DAC in my opinion.
Last edited by leftpoole on 14 Jul 2021, 3:25pm, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Not in my experience. Helsport used them for a while, and those poles had a nasty habit of breaking. They may be better now, but it was a nightmare for Helsport at the time - which they handled elegantly.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

willem jongman wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 2:41pm Not in my experience. Helsport used them for a while, and those poles had a nasty habit of breaking. They may be better now, but it was a nightmare for Helsport at the time - which they handled elegantly.
I believe you are well out of date.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Could be, but quite a few of my friends were less than pleased, and when mine started to break as well two years later, I was not happy either. I notice that Helsport now have enough faith in them to use them in their cheaper models, but not in their top of the line ones.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Judging by manufacturers of the worlds strongest backpacking / expedition tents it’s a toss-up between Easton XX75 and DAC Featherlite NSL. Yunan appear to be used in lower / mid-range tents.
ossie

Post by ossie »

nsew wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 11:47am Vaude / Yunan ~55cm long, I can see why some have to strap their tents lengthways on a rack. Hilleberg / DAC are ~42cm. The Wild Country Compact / Superflex are ~35cm. The industry standard is DAC in South Korea.

The OP's tent poles are 42cm..juct checked and I had to cut down to size I recall when I purchased those in the link. That said I do pack my Vaude Taurus UL lengthways, any tent I've strapped that way for some reason, it gives easier access to panniers I find.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

got a replacement pole for my Taurus - nothing wrong with the rest of the tent and a pole is cheaper than a replacement! (look i'm from Yorkshire)
Thanks - was that the pole segment, or did you manage to find a whole set?
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

The OP's tent poles are 42cm..juct checked and I had to cut down to size I recall when I purchased those in the link. That said I do pack my Vaude Taurus UL lengthways, any tent I've strapped that way for some reason, it gives easier access to panniers I find
I've always done that too - the sleeping mat then goes at right angles on top of that.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I like the look of this: https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/ ... hn-2-tent/
A bit heavier than my Taurus but the two porches wuld be useful.
Anyone actually used one?
― Peter Golkin
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

We have a similar tent from Decathlon (same shape, same size, same weight), and it is indeed a convenient shape for solo use. I bought it as a festival etc tent for the children, but have occasionaly borrowed it for myself, until I bought some really lightweight ones (a Helsport Ringstind for bad weather and an MSR Zoic 1 for warm weather). My daughter has used it for two, but that is tight and will only work if the weather is good but not too hot.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Slowroad wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 3:21pm I like the look of this: https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/all-tents/ ... hn-2-tent/
A bit heavier than my Taurus but the two porches wuld be useful.
Anyone actually used one?
That tents pole structure is absurdly weak. When the wind flattens that tent, poles will snap and tear the tent up. The tent pitches inner first which is a pain in poor weather. The fly attaches with fiddly Velcro loops. I can’t believe how bad that tent is.

https://youtu.be/EsIj55-GpTc
nsew

Post by nsew »

ossie wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 7:32pm

The OP's tent poles are 42cm..juct checked and I had to cut down to size I recall when I purchased those in the link. That said I do pack my Vaude Taurus UL lengthways, any tent I've strapped that way for some reason, it gives easier access to panniers I find.
I can see how that’s necessary when panniers are attached at the platform level. There are a few racks that position the pannier hooks beneath the platform. Were you able to plug the cut pole section by using it at an end? If not the sharp edge will be shearing the shock cord when the pole is packed.
ossie

Post by ossie »

nsew wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 8:49pm Were you able to plug the cut pole section by using it at an end? If not the sharp edge will be shearing the shock cord when the pole is packed.
Cheers, yes, the cut ends are inserted down on some alloy S clips connecting to the outer / inner but excellent point to highlight those chopping Alu poles. I doubt many carry shock cord. That said I do a fair bit of plumbing so its second nature to file off the mess.