Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
willem jongman

Re: New tent?

Post by willem jongman »

And for those of you interested in such parts: https://www.extremtextil.de/
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

When I bought the vango omega 350 I also bought a pole pack which was about £20 but before I used the tent I cut 2 of the poles to the exact length of the 2 different sizes of pole used before I set off leaving one pole uncut in case two of one size got bent. As it turned out we had 40MPH winds on one trip but no poles got damaged.
I am here. Where are you?
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

An interesting and useful discussion, thanks!
I'm now looking at one of these... https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/wild- ... ?colour=98
Some compromises re space, but it would be good to reduce weight. My little bike does feel over-loaded rather easily! (I'm looking at bikepacking front fork options, don't want to go the front pannier route - but that's another discussion...) Plus the tent above is cheaper than I am prepared to pay so I may get a very lightweight sleeping mat, if I can convince myself they won't spring leaks like my last one! Again, that's another discussion...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
PH

Post by PH »

One of these might be worth a a place on the shortlist, I was looking at one recently and tempted, no experience but the reviews seem decent
https://alpkit.com/products/soloist
nsew

Post by nsew »

Slowroad wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:17am An interesting and useful discussion, thanks!
I'm now looking at one of these... https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/wild- ... ?colour=98
Some compromises re space, but it would be good to reduce weight. My little bike does feel over-loaded rather easily! (I'm looking at bikepacking front fork options, don't want to go the front pannier route - but that's another discussion...) Plus the tent above is cheaper than I am prepared to pay so I may get a very lightweight sleeping mat, if I can convince myself they won't spring leaks like my last one! Again, that's another discussion...
It’s a decent choice, relatively easy set-up, proven storm proof design. The 1 person is small though (I had the ultralight 2 person version which was borderline). You’ll spend near enough half your travels inside that space - potentially 24 hours or more in a storm. The shelter is your most used piece of kit. 300g (and far more) is best saved by leaving behind a superfluous item(s).
PH

Post by PH »

nsew wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 1:04pm
Slowroad wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 10:17am An interesting and useful discussion, thanks!
It’s a decent choice, relatively easy set-up, proven storm proof design.
As always, there's a huge amount of personal preference in what makes a good tent.
I had the TN version of that and didn't like it at all - For me the fabric was too close to my face when sleeping, it flapped in a wind, the headroom was very limited, and the big one for me was that the all in one pitch design meant as an early riser it was always packed wet with dew. In the season I used it I had a damp inner more often than in the fifteen years since with a tent that pitches inner first.
There's so much choice that once you get beyond the bargain basement, they'll all function fine. I'd make a list of the things you like and dislike about your current tent and use that as a starting point.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Wouldn’t be my choice either but it’s decent compared to the OP’s previous choice. That design can withstand fierce storms. As an aside, some people buy an ultra lightweight tent, fit 1.2kg Marathon Plus’s and pack an 800g pair of jeans for evening wear.
nsew

Post by nsew »

I can’t get my head around tents that pitch inner first. Nor can Hilleberg who launched in the 70s with a tent that pitches inner and outer together. If condensation is an issue, wipe away with a towel either while in the tent or from outside before breaking the tent down - that’s if you’ve got a minute. Also serves as a free wash that saves precious water supply.
PH

Post by PH »

nsew wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 3:55pm I can’t get my head around tents that pitch inner first.
Viva la difference or whatever they say :wink:
It was the one thing as an inexperienced camper put me off buying my current tent, a TN Solar 2.2, but everything else ticked my boxes so I bought it anyway. I don't deny that it is a disadvantage but can honestly say it hasn't once been enough of an issue to concern me. I can have the fly over the inner in less than half a minute and any rain the DWP coating doesn't see off is quickly wiped away. If it's raining I can't get into a tent without bringing more wetness than that inside with me.
On the plus side - such tents are naturally more rigid and likely to be closer to self standing, the inner doesn't hang, the fly doesn't flap.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PH wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 2:42pmAs always, there's a huge amount of personal preference in what makes a good tent.
I had the TN version of that and didn't like it at all - For me the fabric was too close to my face when sleeping, it flapped in a wind, the headroom was very limited,
I too have tried a couple of tents like that, starting with the Hilleberg Akto. Just cannot get on with them. Hate the inner sitting so close to my face. Not enough headroom to be able to throw my arms around when dressing. I was lucky that I never endured being stuck inside for a day.

Pitch in one tents - I have had a couple, and they are my preference. If things are wet, you can uncouple the inner to be stowed separately, and all this packing away can be done in comfort with the outer still standing. Currently have a Hilleberg Niak which replaced an old Unna. Light enough for me (1.7kg) and compact packed dimensions. For two people it would be very cosy but for one it is spacious and fills my needs.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

One of these might be worth a a place on the shortlist, I was looking at one recently and tempted, no experience but the reviews seem decent
https://alpkit.com/products/soloist
I do like the look of some of Alpkit tents - the Ordos 2 for instance, which is pretty similar to my Vaude Taurus. I might have got one if they still had them available in green, only red now. Less sure about the pitching inner first, but pitching as one has other disadvantages - yes, the inner gets wet on summer dewy mornings! Dries quickly, but presumably some extra weight to carry.
The closeness of the inner fabric to me face was something I noticed too, but the tent was pitched indoor with velcro 'pegs' and couldn't be pulled as taut as it should be. I'm short so if my feet are at one end my face won't be right at the opposite end!
I think I'll get one of the Zephyros, I think the compromises are OK to get a lighter pack - I've not got much else I could reduce in weight! But I'll carry on having a look round, six weeks till my next camping trip... may also look out for a somewhat bigger tent too for next year...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

I love being in a tent in a storm but only if I'm confident in the tent itself otherwise it's very stressful.
I am here. Where are you?
nick12

Post by nick12 »

I have a zephros 1 tent. If you get it taught and tension the straps I find it doesn't hang in your face. I'm 5'8" and can just sit up. I did have one issue camping in the winter in heavy rain , the ground had become waterlogged and the rain .
was bouncing under the flysheet and with the mesh end section of the inner I woke in the morning with a soggy sleeping bag at the foot end .
Porch is just big enough to cook in.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

PH wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 4:18pmI can have the fly over the inner in less than half a minute and any rain the DWP coating doesn't see off is quickly wiped away. If it's raining I can't get into a tent without bringing more wetness than that inside with me.
Can you still get the fly over the inner in 30 sec when there's 30 mph wind and it's flailing about?
In addition, rain with the added speed of a bit of wind just goes straight through the inner, as fine spray rather than drops. DWR is only good for low velocity impacts.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I have a zephros 1 tent. If you get it taught and tension the straps I find it doesn't hang in your face. I'm 5'8" and can just sit up. I did have one issue camping in the winter in heavy rain , the ground had become waterlogged and the rain .
was bouncing under the flysheet and with the mesh end section of the inner I woke in the morning with a soggy sleeping bag at the foot end .
Porch is just big enough to cook in
Useful! Thanks. I'll pull a bin bag over my sleeping bag foot if I get into that sort of weather!
― Peter Golkin