New tent?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Slowroad

New tent?

Post by Slowroad »

This is my Vaude Tuarus Ultralite looking sadly lopsided! I've had it around 10 years and one of the poles has split. It's unlikely that a fix will give me the confidence to go away with it for more than a weekend, so I'm looking for a new tent. I could get another Taurus (though they seem less available than then) - or I could go for something else? Specs are: sit-upable-in (but I'm short); vestibule for storage and shelter to cook in; weight 2kg or less; price up to £250ish.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
IMG_20210710_080047148.jpg
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
ossie

Re: New tent?

Post by ossie »

I have the same tent, same age. I managed to spot the split in the pole in time before it completely went a year or so back, purchased a segment for about £15, cut it to length and all now good.

That said don't let me put you off a new tent thread, always good reading :wink:
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

I have many tents - mostly for backpacking - and can highly recommend the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. weighs 2lb
But don't overlook a tarp instead. Much easier access - and setup and take down a zip. Mine weighs 12 ounces. stakes and poles extra. Hiking poles work well to support it - or a tree branch.
drossall

Post by drossall »

If it's just a pole gone, I'd replace it. Amazon offer Vaude spares, for example. And there's no harm contacting Vaude to enquire about replacements.

I don't know that tent, but presumably a generic replacement pole might also work?

Edit: those Amazon ones all look like they are aluminium. Yours presumably aren't?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Aluminium poles is correct
The Amazon poles seem to be the same as the official Vaude poles
https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Equipment/S ... =128560060
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

New pole. Pretty obvious really. Nothing to worry about afterwards at all!
ossie

Post by ossie »

andrew_s wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 12:12am Aluminium poles is correct
The Amazon poles seem to be the same as the official Vaude poles
https://www.vaude.com/en-GB/Equipment/S ... =128560060
Thanks, yes can confirm that's the correct replacement for their tent . I previously tried 8.5mm but its indeed the 9.02mm required. If the OP is intending on replacing the pole rather than the tent, I'd encourage them to look closely at all the sections. I also found another pole with a very small split that was a future failure. Its also worth noting that the sections that tend to split may be manufactured 'pre curved' (mine were but I recall someone on here saying theirs were straight ).Vaude have confirmed they cannot source direct pre curved replacements anymore, just straight sections but they do the job just fine (as advised to me at the time by several learned members on here).
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

A new pole or pole section is the obvious solution, but after about ten years of real use most tents have more or less had it, and ultralight ones in particular.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Assuming the tent hasn’t been exposed to prolonged UV light over the years (has the colour faded significantly?) or subjected to heavy floor abrasion, then a simple pole section replacement is the obvious fix. Now is a good time to take a close look at the condition of each pole section, condition of the shock cord, overall condition of the tent. The seams likely need re-sealing. Do the zippers run smoothly? Maybe it’s a bit tired from a lot of use and you envisage using a tent for a few more years. Buy another.

Incidentally, about eighteen months ago I bought a brand new Hilleberg from a private seller for £500. That tent & footprint is now £1000.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Really useful comments, thanks.
I have to confess that the pole segment (and another one) have had small splits for years and I've taped them up successfully up to now. It is a pre-bent segment, and I assumed I needed another one the same. For the price trying a straight segment would be worth a try - I could then at least pass the tent on to the local scouts for camping in their grounds! The only thing is the elastic cord, there's no apparent way of removing it except by cutting it? On the Vaude site it shows how to swap a pole segment, but it's a more recent version with a plug at the end.
I had also wondered about trying an off-the shelf fibreglass pole if I can find one the right length, I could see if I can use the repair segment which came with the tent so the new pole fits over the hooks at the bottom (the repair segments are pretty useless as they don't go over the pre-bent segments...)
Finally - yes, the tent is showing some signs of wear, the groundsheet is letting a little damp in, and the footprint isn't waterproof any more. But I'd not be looking at new tents just yet were it not for the pole!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
drossall

Post by drossall »

I have replaced elastic for my Scouts' tents on occasion. You can buy widgets, but I made one from an old brake cable :D
nsew

Post by nsew »

New sturdy tent then! A quick look shows these for about £170

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wild-Country ... 635-2958-0

https://youtu.be/_lMQZ4vNHfQ
ossie

Post by ossie »

nsew wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 9:19pm New sturdy tent then! A quick look shows these for about £170

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wild-Country ... 635-2958-0

https://youtu.be/_lMQZ4vNHfQ
2.35kg? OP wanted 2kg max, agree a good looking tent but what would it be wet ? That said I had a major run in with Terra Nova over a down bag where they falsely advertised the weight by some considerable measure.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Depends if OP wants the extra space / versatility. The 1 person is 1.75kg. 40cm less width, 5cm less length, 12cm less height, one less door. Otherwise the tent ticks a few durable / ease of use boxes - 2 poles, semi-freestanding, pitches inner & outer together. I’d take the extra comfort for 400g penalty.
Attachments
5626AFA5-9B7D-4A5A-B6C8-C711BC7A18EB.png
8DD3B560-0C5B-4FFF-8893-C72A696D681E.png
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

got a replacement pole for my Taurus - nothing wrong with the rest of the tent and a pole is cheaper than a replacement! (look i'm from Yorkshire)

I did eventually buy another tent but not because the Taurus had any issues, rather I moved to a lighter Power Lizard model, the Taurus is part of my 'second' kit set (i have 4 plus extra bits!), mayhap i should get it out and revisit the experience :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!