'Off-grid' campsites - how do you charge your stuff?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bohrsatom

Re: 'Off-grid' campsites - how do you charge your stuff?

Post by bohrsatom »

Jdsk wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 9:48am
bohrsatom wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 7:44am I use a high capacity power bank that supports fast recharging.
What is it, please?
It’s this: https://www.review-hub.co.uk/omars-type ... nk-review/

Sadly it no longer appears to be available to purchase but others are available. Unfortunately, finding out which devices support fast recharge can be a bit tricky as many will fast charge the devices connected to the power bank, but not the power bank itself. Careful analysis of the product description is often needed!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Power bank, I have a solar charger but it doesn’t do much (maybe there are better ones now?). Some people have a hub on the bike and although pricey this seems like the way to go for seriously off grid use as you’ve mentioned. Someone I have housed via warm showers rarely stays anywhere with power- she’s Helsonwheels on Facebook and Instagram.

Agreed leave the iPad at home- it sucks power, the new iPhones have batteries that last longer than the old ones. I take a kindle and iPhone. I’ve always taken a garmin in the past but no longer see the point, sadly I rarely use a map any more either.
Last edited by MrsHJ on 5 Aug 2021, 7:08am, edited 1 time in total.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Fundamentally, I try to limit power usage, in large part to reduce clutter and complexity. So I have a Son hub, but I only use it for my lights. I have a gps, but it is a Garmin Etrex 30 that lasts for some 4-5 days of riding on one set of rechargeables. So with a handful of spare batteries I do not even take a charger on most tours. I do not take a tablet, an E reader or any other gadget. I do take a phone, but I leave it off for much of the day, although I admit it gets more use every year, now that we have live satellite weather data and what not. I take a small external battery pack to avoid having to charge the phone in the toilet building of a campsite, or run the risk of forgetting to retrieve it from the reception when I leave. Losing it only costs a small sum, and I have indeed had a battery pack stolen from the toilet building on one occasion. So my advice would be to keep it simple. One day I might get a Forumslader integrated into my stem/headset, but not yet.
Last edited by willem jongman on 5 Aug 2021, 7:23am, edited 3 times in total.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Switch phone on to report in every evening then switch it off.
My front light also serves as a power pack and will recharge my Garmin multiple times. No other power needed and if I can avoid reporting in I leave the phone at home as well.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 8:43pm Depends what you mean by off grid. No electricity at all? ...
That's my understanding. There are portable toilets of the sort where you pump water with your foot, covered outdoor sinks and a covered and open roof shower in the woods! Two hot showers, one cold.
Jdsk wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 9:01pm I use a 16,000 mA h USB battery pack, about £20. That will recharge all of our devices for two people for several days. Should recharge a mobile 'phone for a week if it isn't used for navigating.

And if you have two you can leave one somewhere friendly to be recharged.

How does that sound?

Jonathan
Yeah, about twenty quid sounds a fair price and since it's not cycling specific it can be a justified expense, ta.

Thanks, everyone. The Anker jobbies seem a popular choice.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

In response to the opening post. One does not need any modern equipment. Take a break. Camp and enjoy. If you need a Mobile phone (just in case) turn it off until it is needed!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

leftpoole wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 11:17am In response to the opening post. One does not need any modern equipment. Take a break. Camp and enjoy. If you need a Mobile phone (just in case) turn it off until it is needed!
Or get a £7 PAYGO + £10 top up for emergencies. Works for me: I just have to use it every six months. The charge lasts all week.
John
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Again it it alters due to how long your out.
I only get 2x10 hour days plus time enough to plug the next days ride in by hand off a pair of AA rechargeables in my Garmin 30 when not powered by the dynamo.
So 4 batteries each recharged once will last me for a week tour.
So a big cache battery will easily do that plus a couple of charges on my kindle will and also a bit on the phone as needed.
If I was going out for longer than a week then 2 or 3 cheap cache batteries may well better.
You will have to recharge them more often than 1 big one, but it a lot less of a disaster if one dies or goes missing.
The most expensive part I use where recharging in a toilet block may be the USB cable.
I did this on a 4 month tour before I got my solar panel/hub dynamo combo working.
In western Europe I was grabbing power in campsites, in eastern Europe it was 6 nights wild camping and then 1 night in a hotel to recharge everything.
It's just that a solar panel and/or hub dynamo makes it a lot less hassle.

Luck .......... :D
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

I noticed that rechargeables vary enormously: my estimate is for the Ansmann 2500 Eneloop type. Orginal Panasonic Eneloops will not last as long, and many others less again.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I use shimano DH-UR700-3D(622) and a forumslader charge controller (kit built)
the shimano dynamo is designed for slower speeds you get often on offroad routes and the forumslader is very good at getting the best from its output.
It has its own 2cell battery bank and I also charge a powerbank from it while riding when not using the lights.

forgot to add, only stuff I charge while out is my garmin edge (map) my sony camera and my sony reader ( if it ever run down)
I dont use a smart phone just an old Nokia which can be charged from the forumslader (max3amp output) or power bank.
Last edited by TimeTraveller on 5 Aug 2021, 5:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete... I think
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

leftpoole wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 11:17am In response to the opening post. One does not need any modern equipment. Take a break. Camp and enjoy. If you need a Mobile phone (just in case) turn it off until it is needed!
I think it depends on the individual. I’m often remote and don’t see anyone for hours so it feels reassuring to have the phone which even in the USA usually has reception and I like to keep in touch when travelling solo and I use it for some of the limited navigation that’s required.

So the phone is a small piece of kit that does a lot of work and replaces the garmin and most maps (I’ve tended to do pre designed routes lately which don’t require much mapping but pre phone I would have taken a map). Similarly with the kindle- its small and avoids the problem I used to have with my fast reading pace and needing at least three large books when on holiday by myself- I used to chop bits off and bin them as I went to keep weight down!

To summarise I take an iPhone XR, cable and plug and a power bank with cable. Plus kindle and cable (it shares a plug with the iPhone). That’s actually a lot less than a load of maps and books, a basic phone and the very irritating garmin.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I know what you mean, but the reality these days is that some people like to follow a GPX track rather than having to whip out a map at every other turn, especially if trying to follow a route that isn’t signed in an area that isn’t familiar to them.

I plotted my last ride in Garmin Connect, but didn’t bother to download it to my device because I knew the area. Except that it had been a while and a signpost to a village had been knocked off (I think), and I nearly went up the longest ascent in the Yorkshire Wolds instead of turning left and coming down it later!

I don’t think my wife has ever telephoned me while I’ve been out on my bike, but you can be sure she’ll do precisely that if I were to switch off my phone :D
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I don’t think my wife has ever telephoned me while I’ve been out on my bike, but you can be sure she’ll do precisely that if I were to switch off my phone :D

Interesting.........
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

https://road.cc/content/blog/riding-acr ... ile-285705
If you want to raise funds for the Bobby Moore Fund, set up in 1993... best ride like it's 1993! It also turned out to be a life-changing journey...
Sing it like Prince!