Pressure Stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
iandusud

Re: Pressure Stoves

Post by iandusud »

LollyKat wrote: 23 Aug 2021, 8:49pm
iandusud wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 3:49pm What liquid fuels for pressure stove are readily available in small quantities, i.e. 0.5L? Would white spirit work?
Going back a couple of pages... white spirit, available from any supermarket, works fine - I use it in my 1/2 pint and 1 pint stoves. It burns very cleanly and is slightly less smelly than paraffin. However don't be tempted to use barbecue lighting fluid as it has additives that will clog the burner.
That's good to know as white spirit is universally available. thanks
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 1:08am
iandusud wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 3:49pm What liquid fuels for pressure stove are readily available in small quantities, i.e. 0.5L? Would white spirit work?
Going back a couple of pages... white spirit, available from any supermarket, works fine - I use it in my 1/2 pint and 1 pint stoves. It burns very cleanly and is slightly less smelly than paraffin. However don't be tempted to use barbecue lighting fluid as it has additives that will clog the burner.
Are you interested in what's available in other countries as well as the UK? Which will inevitably lead to the different meanings of "white spirit".

Jonathan
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Boom boom! :D

(I’ve edited my post to clarify)
Last edited by LollyKat on 24 Aug 2021, 10:00am, edited 1 time in total.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:58pm
slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:38pm
iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 4:51pm The idea of going for a pressure stove is to allow for prolonged controlled temperature cooking, so I don't really think an alcohol stove is great option. I'm trying to get away from gas.
What sort of meals would you be cooking, and why would an alcohol stove not be a good option?
Well, I enjoy all sorts of cooking so for me the appeal of a pressure stove is the ability to heat up quickly but also so be able to simmer slowly. In other words instant temperature control.
Professional kitchens across the world need to do what you're looking for.
By and large, they use gas hobs.

A remote can, wide base gas stove like the MSR WindPro or Primus Gravity isn't very different from a kitchen gas hob.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pjclinch wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 9:51am
iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:58pm
slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:38pm
What sort of meals would you be cooking, and why would an alcohol stove not be a good option?
Well, I enjoy all sorts of cooking so for me the appeal of a pressure stove is the ability to heat up quickly but also so be able to simmer slowly. In other words instant temperature control.
Professional kitchens across the world need to do what you're looking for.
By and large, they use gas hobs.

A remote can, wide base gas stove like the MSR WindPro or Primus Gravity isn't very different from a kitchen gas hob.

Pete.
Hi Pete, I don't know if you've read my original post but there I explain my reasons for wanting to go from the set up you describe to a pressure stove. It is worth noting that a pressure stove, by virtue of the fact that it vaporises the fuel, is a in effect a gas stove and, IME has the same benefits of controllability. :)
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

iandusud wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 11:26am
Hi Pete, I don't know if you've read my original post but there I explain my reasons for wanting to go from the set up you describe to a pressure stove. It is worth noting that a pressure stove, by virtue of the fact that it vaporises the fuel, is a in effect a gas stove and, IME has the same benefits of controllability. :)
The devil is in the detail, and some are less good than others in that respect, but compared to a pure gas stove they weigh more, cost more and are a lot more faff to light. Which is why, despite having a multi-fuel pressure stove (Primus MFS), the only times I ever take it is on a long trip where I expect fuel resupply to be an issue. Note that the spreader head of a pressure stove tends to be rather simpler than that on a gas stove so there's slightly less of an orderly burn. This is pretty obvious when you compare a pressure stove that does gas (like the MFS) to a gas stove doing gas. It's less efficient, noisier and not as easy to fine tune.

It is nice to have it as backup for those trips, but those trips are actually pretty rare, so even if you get a pressure stove I would suggest that for a lot of trips you leave it at home.

Pete.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

pjclinch wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 11:56am
iandusud wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 11:26am
The devil is in the detail, and some are less good than others in that respect, but compared to a pure gas stove they weigh more, cost more and are a lot more faff to light. Which is why, despite having a multi-fuel pressure stove (Primus MFS), the only times I ever take it is on a long trip where I expect fuel resupply to be an issue. Note that the spreader head of a pressure stove tends to be rather simpler than that on a gas stove so there's slightly less of an orderly burn. This is pretty obvious when you compare a pressure stove that does gas (like the MFS) to a gas stove doing gas. It's less efficient, noisier and not as easy to fine tune.

It is nice to have it as backup for those trips, but those trips are actually pretty rare, so even if you get a pressure stove I would suggest that for a lot of trips you leave it at home.

Pete.
Fair comments. My choice is based on our experience of two weeks touring this summer where, despite only using our gas stove for tea and porridge (plus one evening meal) I was always carrying two gas cannisters (the one on the go plus a spare) and as soon as the spare ran out looking for another. I would happily use the gas stove for a weekend away but would prefer a pressure stove for a longer trip like this summer if I plan to do more cooking (which I do). With regard to your comment re burning characteristics of some pressure stoves, it is one reason why I'm leaning towards the Opitmus Nova as it is not designed to also run on gas, and it would therefore appear that the jetting is optimised for liquid fuel, notably paraffin (or similar). Re the extra weight, my remote gas stove with an adapter to take the ubiquitous bayonet fitting gas cartridges plus two cartridges (minus fuel) weighs 558g. The Nova plus a 0.6L fuel bottle (minus fuel) weighs 619g, giving a weight penalty of 61g. It's fair to say that I would carry a small quantity of meths for priming so lets add a further 100g. It's still not a huge difference. Personally I never found the priming process a particular faff when I used my Primus stove but I certainly appreciated the speed at which it could heat up water.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
I slso think Pete's comments are correct.
Though some issues may have been addressed in more modern designs, I don't know and only read write ups.

I would add that on really low adjustment, (as in absolute minimum) a paraffin (or multi fuel on paraffin) stove can stop heating the vaporizing tube sufficiently over time and can flare.

For myself those issues are not a problem and the multi-fuel capability, high level of adjustability, good stability and fast powerful boiling capability are why I only always carry just the one stove.

But horses for courses.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

iandusud wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 1:08am
You may have converted me to a multi-fuel stove (this post looks like being expensive!).

Even in EU I find buying gas can on occasions be hassle (screw fitting stove but I do carry a bayonet adapter as well as an aerosol format adapter). So often when I need gas the supermarket only has the pierce top cartridges and Decathelon is miles away or in next town .... In Germany I ended-up having to buy a 6 pack of aerosol format canisters and left 3 at the campsite reception for next cyclist needing gas.

But white spirit in my own fuel bottle would be easy.

Ian
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

iandusud wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 11:26am Hi Pete, I don't know if you've read my original post but there I explain my reasons for wanting to go from the set up you describe to a pressure stove. It is worth noting that a pressure stove, by virtue of the fact that it vaporises the fuel, is a in effect a gas stove and, IME has the same benefits of controllability. :)
Have you considered going back to your trusty 1/2-pint primus? How old is it - did you buy it new? This site, Classic Camp Stoves is full of advice on refurbishing and sources of spares, which are mostly readily available. Modern replacement seals and pump washers are cheap to buy (get them through the CCS/Fettlebox, not ebay) and modern replacements last much longer. Fixing the non-return valve can be trickier, though. I sorted my two stoves, including decoking the burners, for just a few pounds.

Apparently the Nova is really loud - which you may like!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I replaced a stove pump washer with leather cut from an old shoe I bought in a charity shop.
It was still working when I sold the stove, several trips later.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

LollyKat wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 12:58pm
iandusud wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 11:26am Hi Pete, I don't know if you've read my original post but there I explain my reasons for wanting to go from the set up you describe to a pressure stove. It is worth noting that a pressure stove, by virtue of the fact that it vaporises the fuel, is a in effect a gas stove and, IME has the same benefits of controllability. :)
Have you considered going back to your trusty 1/2-pint primus? How old is it - did you buy it new? This site, Classic Camp Stoves is full of advice on refurbishing and sources of spares, which are mostly readily available. Modern replacement seals and pump washers are cheap to buy (get them through the CCS/Fettlebox, not ebay) and modern replacements last much longer. Fixing the non-return valve can be trickier, though. I sorted my two stoves, including decoking the burners, for just a few pounds.

Apparently the Nova is really loud - which you may like!
Good question. Yes I have but as I'm trying to keep weight down where I can I think a significant saving can be made here. Also the flexibility of being able to run on other fuels (petrol etc) is a bonus, and being closer to the ground the Nova would be more stable. Out of interest I dug my old Primus out about 10 years ago to see if it was still working. I couldn't get any pressure up so I pulled out the pump to find that the leather washer was dry and shrivelled. I treated it to some oil or grease (I don't remember which), refitted it and pumped away. Primed with some meths and let it go. It roared into life as good as ever. The paraffin in it was there from the last time it was used about 30 years previously!
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 10:20am OP.

But gas and paraffin sit pretty happy together.
Those willing to use slight of hand can light the thing on gas and do a quick (and it needs to be quite quick) swop from gas ( for a quick initial brew) to paraffin bottle by dint of getting the feed line full of liquid gas (turn the cylinder upside down for several seconds when stove is hot) and turning off the supply tap.
The gas continues to pressurize the jet for perhaps 30 seconds as the trapped liquid gas evaporates, which can be enough to fit the pumped up paraffin bottle and carefully open the control tap. And saves preheating with meths, of course!
Always performed away from the tent on case of initial flaring.
With a little practice works very well.
This idea puts the wind up me. We were touring last week and saw a couple with a gas stove who turned the gas supply upside down. We have a multi-fuel stove that runs in gas too. Having a nearly empty gas bottle we decided to try this trick and it improved the pressure very well. However, when I came to light it again later, it gave a massive flare up that removed the hair from my hand and was quite spectacular. I hate to think would could have happened had it been near the tent.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 24 Aug 2021, 3:22pm
PDQ Mobile wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 10:20am OP.

But gas and paraffin sit pretty happy together.
Those willing to use slight of hand can light the thing on gas and do a quick (and it needs to be quite quick) swop from gas ( for a quick initial brew) to paraffin bottle by dint of getting the feed line full of liquid gas (turn the cylinder upside down for several seconds when stove is hot) and turning off the supply tap.
The gas continues to pressurize the jet for perhaps 30 seconds as the trapped liquid gas evaporates, which can be enough to fit the pumped up paraffin bottle and carefully open the control tap. And saves preheating with meths, of course!
Always performed away from the tent on case of initial flaring.
With a little practice works very well.
This idea puts the wind up me. We were touring last week and saw a couple with a gas stove who turned the gas supply upside down. We have a multi-fuel stove that runs in gas too. Having a nearly empty gas bottle we decided to try this trick and it improved the pressure very well. However, when I came to light it again later, it gave a massive flare up that removed the hair from my hand and was quite spectacular. I hate to think would could have happened had it been near the tent.
It does however work very well, but obviously the stove has to be properly hot,
so the liquid gas (or paraffin) doesn't reach the jet.
But then after brewing it is hot.

Indeed as changeover method it is arguably better than having to add meths to a hot stove.
A sort of seamless symbiosis!

But sure, don't do it in the fly porch.
Or not until you've practiced!
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Inverting gas cans... note that to play this game you need a pre-heat loop that goes through the flame (this is typical, certainly on "quality brand" stoves, but not a Given). And as noted above, wait until that loop has had a good warm-through before doing it.

Addressing danger points in general, back to pressure stoves, priming with petrol is possible but certainly rewards practice and flares are far more likely than if using meths or (so I read) priming paste. I don't use a pressure stove enough to trust myself to prime one cooking inside, but I know people who use them regularly who never seem to get flares and are happy starting them up inside.

There is the issue of CO poisoning. Never come across a case personally, but have no doubt it can be a real issue: cooking inside, make sure there's plenty of ventilation. I prefer to cook outside for safety, space and overall just Being Out There, but if there's a blizzard, When Midges Attack etc. it's good to be able to work inside, despite the dire warnings in the stove and tent manuals.

Pete.