Pressure Stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
iandusud

Re: Pressure Stoves

Post by iandusud »

What liquid fuels for pressure stove are readily available in small quantities, i.e. 0.5L? Would white spirit work?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

OP^^
I believe it burns ok.
I have tried it quickly and it seems ok.
There is somewhere on this forum an at some length discussion about it.

Residue in the delivery pipe is an issue with some fuels, though the pipe is cleanable with the in situ tool "thingy".

(I have an supply of old TVO!
Few gallons left!
Which is basically paraffin.
Burns well.)
hufty

Post by hufty »

Whether or not forum experts think petrol is the most dangerous fuel known to man, worse than plutonium even, I've never had a problem filling my MSR approved fuel container (basically a Sigg) by the tried and tested method of piggybacking on a friendly motorist's fill. The nozzle fits. In some areas abroad they have fully self service petrol pumps with no attendant - fill your non-approved fuel container too if you want. Slightly further abroad you can buy petrol by the litre in old pop bottles.

For once I'm not even going to mention the Optimus Svea as the bombproof and polishable alternative to a multifuel stove, as I don't think you get a particularly controllable simmer off it, which I think was one of the OP's requirements.

For priming, may I suggest zippo lighter fuel is still available wherever you can buy cigarettes.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
PH

Post by PH »

If I cook, it's a Trangia for me, I know that doesn't answer your question... but IMO it's ideal for full meals.
For two, I'd take a small gas stove as well, bringing something quickly to the boil then onto the Trangia to simmer while you cook something else, sounds perfect to me.
On my own, I don't usually bother, I see meals as a real treat or fuel, I'm not likely to carry enough kit for the first and am easily pleased for the second.
slowster

Post by slowster »

iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 4:51pm The idea of going for a pressure stove is to allow for prolonged controlled temperature cooking, so I don't really think an alcohol stove is great option. I'm trying to get away from gas.
What sort of meals would you be cooking, and why would an alcohol stove not be a good option?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:38pm
iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 4:51pm The idea of going for a pressure stove is to allow for prolonged controlled temperature cooking, so I don't really think an alcohol stove is great option. I'm trying to get away from gas.
What sort of meals would you be cooking, and why would an alcohol stove not be a good option?
Well, I enjoy all sorts of cooking so for me the appeal of a pressure stove is the ability to heat up quickly but also so be able to simmer slowly. In other words instant temperature control.
Last edited by iandusud on 20 Aug 2021, 6:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

My research has been leaning me towards the Optimus Polaris, however I'm wondering if the Nova might be a better stove for my needs. It doesn't have the ability to burn gas canisters but would appear to be a better stove for burning liquid fuels (presumably the jet is optimised for this, or the jet on the Polaris is a compromise). As my aim is to steer away from gas to liquid fuel it would seem to be a better option. I could always carry one of those tiny fold gas burners that screw onto a gas canister in case of not being able to only find gas but not liquid fuel. However I think that highly unlikely.
nsew

Post by nsew »

This thread is further reason to not stay on a campsite for any longer than the time it takes to shower or get some easy action.
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

For pressurised multi fuel. Pressurise. Let a bit of fuel out into burner. Turn fuel off. Light the small amount of fuel in burner. Wait for it to go out. Turn fuel back on and either it’ll self light or you can relight. Avoids the clouds of soot and orange flames whilst burner warms up. I.e. preheat.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

As for the noise, I just love the roar of a pressure stove
Correspondingly, an advantage of a meths stove is that you can use it in the middle of the night without waking everyone round you. Gas is somewhere between the two in terms of noise.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 7:32pm
As for the noise, I just love the roar of a pressure stove
Correspondingly, an advantage of a meths stove is that you can use it in the middle of the night without waking everyone round you. Gas is somewhere between the two in terms of noise.
(I've only used gas) though the noise issue is a good feature when using campsites. On tour I generally get-up around 6:00 am (or a bit earlier) and make a coffee whilst packing-up. In the Europe 40℃ heat wave 2019 I was getting up 4:00 am to finish riding before it got "unhealthy". Most others in the campsite were not getting up that early yet for me a coffee before departure is a requirement.

Not so much of a concern if in plots (e.g. with hedge boundary and motorhomes in neighbouring plots) but if in a crowded open tent area then stove noise early is unsociable so something quite a good feature.

Ian
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 6:04pm My research has been leaning me towards the Optimus Polaris, however I'm wondering if the Nova might be a better stove for my needs. It doesn't have the ability to burn gas canisters but would appear to be a better stove for burning liquid fuels (presumably the jet is optimised for this, or the jet on the Polaris is a compromise). As my aim is to steer away from gas to liquid fuel it would seem to be a better option. I could always carry one of those tiny fold gas burners that screw onto a gas canister in case of not being able to only find gas but not liquid fuel. However I think that highly unlikely.
Obviously horses for courses.

But for myself the multi fuel capability is exactly what I had long wanted.
So for day rides or a quick brew one only needs to take a gas cylinder.
Longer trips just see the addition of the fuel bottle. Usually just leave the little meths container in the front pannier where it all always "lives".
One can brew on gas, with care, in the footwell of a vehicle in bad weather.

The noise aspect is also personal.
I mostly wild camp so it's only us that get affected.
The roaring sound doesn't carry far though and a few yards from a tent is little more than a whisper.

Looking at the spec and write ups of more modern stoves the noise seems to have been addressed.
As does the changing jet faff.
The paraffin jet will work perfectly well with gas on an older model, runs a tad lean. Fine for quick brew or more.

Stability is a factor for me too.
The multi burner type with 3 wide fold out legs and separate bottle are very stable indeed.
More stable than the higher old Primus or gas cylinder below burner types.

Overall I prefer my Optimus to any stove I have ever used.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Another option as a back up for a Nova would be to make one of these:

As would I carry meths for priming it would only add around 10g or so to our kit! :D
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^ :D
Or just collect sticks and have a small fire!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 9:50am ^^ :D
Or just collect sticks and have a small fire!
Might not be the best option when it's raining and wanting to brew up in the tent :D