Pressure Stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jdsk

Re: Pressure Stoves

Post by Jdsk »

iandusud wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:58pm
slowster wrote: 20 Aug 2021, 5:38pm
iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 4:51pm The idea of going for a pressure stove is to allow for prolonged controlled temperature cooking, so I don't really think an alcohol stove is great option. I'm trying to get away from gas.
What sort of meals would you be cooking, and why would an alcohol stove not be a good option?
Well, I enjoy all sorts of cooking so for me the appeal of a pressure stove is the ability to heat up quickly but also so be able to simmer slowly. In other words instant temperature control.
We use a Trangia on meths. I've been following this thread to see what we're missing.

I'd be interested in more on this point about speed of response and variable output from people who have used more than one type.

Thanks

Jonathan
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

iandusud wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 9:58am
PDQ Mobile wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 9:50am ^^ :D
Or just collect sticks and have a small fire!
Might not be the best option when it's raining and wanting to brew up in the tent :D
Indeed, though sometimes a small sheltered nook can suffice.
I have lived and cooked for extended bad weather periods in tents.
It requires an almost surgical attention to detail and level of care!
I think I'll give the beer can stove a miss for that.

But I do like a small fire when practicable too.
Traversing the Alps on foot and on other mountain capers a camp near the tree line was selected whenever possible. It extends the range and weight carried by saving on fuel.
And give food and tea and one's person that "oh so special" frangrance!
The longer the stronger.

Good luck on your choice.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 10:12am
iandusud wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 9:58am
PDQ Mobile wrote: 21 Aug 2021, 9:50am ^^ :D
Or just collect sticks and have a small fire!
Might not be the best option when it's raining and wanting to brew up in the tent :D
Indeed, though sometimes a small sheltered nook can suffice.
I have lived and cooked for extended bad weather periods in tents.
It requires an almost surgical attention to detail and level of care!
I think I'll give the beer can stove a miss for that.

But I do like a small fire when practicable too.
Traversing the Alps on foot and on other mountain capers a camp near the tree line was selected whenever possible. It extends the range and weight carried by saving on fuel.
And give food and tea and one's person that "oh so special" frangrance!
The longer the stronger.

Good luck on your choice.

I certainly understand where you're coming from. One of my sons is currently walking from our home in North Yorkshire to Holyhead and onto Ireland. He's doing the whole trip wild camping with only a tarp for cover and only cooking with wood (he made his own wood burning stove from a tin box before leaving). He's recently returned from 20 months in Canada where he spent last winter in the woods in the Rockies. He built himself a log cabin using just an axe and survived -40C temperatures. He loves it! My wife and I however at our age prefer a little more comfort and the ability to quickly and easily heat water and cook food is a must for us. Having said that we like our campsites as basic and remote as possible with the caveat that it must have hot showers. I can't abide getting into a sleeping bag after a day's riding and sweating if I haven't had a shower.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^
I was referring really to one's clothes after long trips using wood fires.
Personal hygiene is an area one needs to keep on top of and failiure to do so can lead to "issues" on long trips.
I have resorted to public fountains on occasion in France.
The French and other Continentals having a rather enlightened attitude to nudity or almost nudity. :shock:

Sometime in high and cold mountains the personal hygiene does suffer a tad.
You know you've been and done a decent big climb when lots of space appears upon entering some sort of public transport ! :shock:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Warm water, flannel, soap. It's not a shower but good enough to keep face and smelly bits clean-ish (might want two flannels, one for face and one for smellies!).
nsew

Post by nsew »

Some people just smell bad. Even after a wash. There are myriad ways of keeping clean and smelling good while travelling if you’re not blighted. Most involve water and a cloth. Soap is optional. Some involve UV light. Carrying enough bio-degradable wet wipes to cover a trip isn’t exactly difficult.
Last edited by nsew on 22 Aug 2021, 4:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

nsew wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 4:31pm Some people just smell bad. Even after a wash.
It's the difference between Flannel and Chanel. :shock:

I just smell permanently of woodsmoke.
I am reliably informed it's demon sexy. 8)
nsew

Post by nsew »

I resent having to move from wood smoke. Besides, it follows you.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

nsew wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 4:45pm I resent having to move from wood smoke. Besides, it follows you.
Many moons ago picking commercial fruit with some "travellers" they would laugh as campfire smoke chased folk around, and say " the smoke always goes to the best lookin'"! :wink:
nsew

Post by nsew »

It’s one of life’s eternal mysteries.

Other methods: Remove shoes, insoles and socks (if it’s warm) while at rest. Expose to bright light. Ignore local attitudes.
Attachments
8E2C91C4-AD68-4DCA-A4C5-FAB9447B8415.jpeg
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

nsew wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 4:31pm Some people just smell bad. Even after a wash. There are myriad ways of keeping clean and smelling good while travelling if you’re not blighted. Most involve water and a cloth. Soap is optional. Some involve UV light. Carrying enough bio-degradable wet wipes to cover a trip isn’t exactly difficult.
Disposing of them responsibly can be a problem. Some might claim to be bio-degradable but I don't think any genuinely are.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 9:05pm
nsew wrote: 22 Aug 2021, 4:31pm Some people just smell bad.
Disposing of them responsibly can be a problem.
Bit harsh. Nobody's forcing you to stand next to them.
nsew

Post by nsew »

lol. I’ve just ordered a couple of packs of these

https://uk.cheekypanda.com/collections/ ... 1156397225

These super soft biodegradable bamboo baby wipes are completely natural, vegan and never tested on animals. Naturally anti bacterial, anti fungal, hypo allergenic and skin friendly, they are also B.P.A, formaldehyde, chlorine and fragrance free with no de-inking agents and no ocean polluting polyester. These wipes are suitable from birth and have multiple uses, the best ethical and eco friendly alternative to standard baby wipes.

Bamboo grows 20-30 times faster than trees, produces 35% more oxygen and absorbs 35% more carbon dioxide, making it a much more sustainable and eco-friendly material. It is naturally anti-bacterial and anti-fungal, odour resistant and hypo-allergenic so it is great for sensitive skin.
Cheeky panda make eco friendly and sustainable products in order to help protect the environment. Part of every purchase goes to protect plant and animals in endangered rainforests through The Worldland Trust.
Packaged in PET 1 recyclable packaging.
FSC certified, Sustainable, Eco-Friendly, Vegan, Vegetarian, Biodegradable, Certified Cruelty-Free, No animal testing, Paraben Free, SLS Free, Phthalate Free, Triclosan Free, Palm Oil Free, Recycled or Recyclable Packaging, Supports a Charity.
nsew

Post by nsew »

Back on topic, wood fires serve to repel problematic animals such as wild boar, wild dogs, wolves etc. They eliminate flying pests from camp. Primal acts are psychologically rewarding.

The Speedster alcohol burner mentioned upthread will simmer for about an hour (30ml size). Full burn 15-20mins. 50ml size is available for larger pans. Multiple simmer ring sizes. Is easily extinguished by blowing out. Doesn’t unpredictably flare like jetted burners can. Safe for vestibule brews. Cheap as chips, takes up little space and weighs next to nothing.

A wood gasifier stove used in conjunction with the above burner and 500ml of meths will cover up to two weeks of travel.
Attachments
54A9FD45-D02F-4F75-8224-148B7054E7E5.png
7FD0CF58-23FA-4765-9F76-47B2BD94146B.png
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

iandusud wrote: 19 Aug 2021, 3:49pm What liquid fuels for pressure stove are readily available in small quantities, i.e. 0.5L? Would white spirit work?
Going back a couple of pages... white spirit*, available from any British supermarket, works fine - I use it in my 1/2 pint and 1 pint stoves. It burns very cleanly and is slightly less smelly than paraffin. However don't be tempted to use barbecue lighting fluid as it has additives that will clog the burner.
— —
*Edited to clarify that ‘white spirit’ is the British name for a type of paraffin/kerosene. It is NOT white gas/petrol, which would be highly dangerous in such a stove.
Last edited by LollyKat on 24 Aug 2021, 9:58am, edited 1 time in total.