Wood Burner Compact Camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Cyclewala

Wood burning stoves

Post by Cyclewala »

Are there stoves that can easily interchange between gas (or meths) and wood?

I know gas is most efficient, but like the option to be able to burn wood if fuel runs out or I'm somewhere remote.

Seen an American cycletourist on Youtube collecting grass, bark and acorns during the day's ride for the evening fire.

I can see this working in warm countries but how feasible would this be in damp Britain?
Jdsk

Re: Wood burning stoves

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

You can get other, more basic stoves too. The one in the above link is a very efficient wood burner but you can get simple, folding wood burners which might be a good option too. These include the following from the top of my head: -

Vargo outdoors hexagon stove
Honey stove (backpacking light UK)
Pocket stove (BPL UK)
Toaks woodburning stove
Solo stove titan stove
Lixada wood burner (BPL UK copy design I think)
IIRC there's a woodburning caldera cone stove in titanium that is designed to be efficient using wood, meths and there's even a solid fuel burner unit for it called the gram cracker.

These are from what I can remember from when I last looked into this stove option. There's a few copies of these too. I think most of these you can work a meths burner into but some are designed to like honey stove and pocket stove. These two even have a designed in way to hold a trangia meths burner. The pocket in side slots, the honey with a base plate for it.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you can get copies of them on EBay for about £12 or so. The one I got is fine. I got a small cup incl to use I think for sold fuel. Came in a nice string case. Fun to use as long as there are twigs around . I had some spare Hamster wood shavings bedding that I use as starter and have used spare wooden pellet cat litter as fuel. But twigs also work well

100_7157.JPG

100_7159.JPG

They boil water very fast also. was quite surprised
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

That's the sort of stove I was thinking of.

Does one have to use special pots and pans? I understand Trangia are made of aluminium which don't like wood flame - I read they get black.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:

you can get copies of them on EBay for about £12 or so. The one I got is fine. I got a small cup incl to use I think for sold fuel. Came in a nice string case. Fun to use as long as there are twigs around . I had some spare Hamster wood shavings bedding that I use as starter and have used spare wooden pellet cat litter as fuel. But twigs also work well

100_7157.JPG

100_7159.JPG

I have that - and that kettle. Excellent.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:

100_7157.JPG

100_7159.JPG

I have that - and that kettle. Excellent.

may be not the kettle - it is a cheap alloy Halfords one was part of a set incl a couple of pans for £20 or so.

I do have stainless steel version that cost £25 alone that I only use for making tea as a tea pot, as you can see from the pictures the wood does black the kettle bottom - so you should carry it in a plastic bag ( no big deal) but the soot does get baked on.

https://www.alloutdoor.co.uk/cooking/kettles/gsi-outdoors-glacier-stainless-tea-kettle.htm

its a common pattern.

re the cooker. There are versions that pack flat made of flat panels but I dont think they are so safe to use as one side is open to pass wood into and I suppose some sparks could escape - I was able to use mine at Tanners Hatch when it was really dry and the warden there forbade open fires but said mine was ok as more less self contained
Last edited by mercalia on 3 Aug 2020, 6:40pm, edited 3 times in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyclewala wrote:That's the sort of stove I was thinking of.

Does one have to use special pots and pans? I understand Trangia are made of aluminium which don't like wood flame - I read they get black.

They all get black but alloy would be hard to clean - I just dont bother, just store in a plastic bag. see the above comment about a Halfords cook set for £20. Is good enough.
whoof

Post by whoof »

I've got one of these steel pot/mugs which I use for brewing up and drinking from.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500ml-Stainl ... Swq2xb53rj
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

One thing to remember about alloy kettles - build up of hard water deposits - hard to remove from alloy kettles which may in the long run add how the water tastes?
whoof

Post by whoof »

mercalia wrote:One thing to remember about alloy kettles - build up of hard water deposits - hard to remove from alloy kettles which may in the long run add how the water tastes?

I find tea tastes a bit strange if using an aluminium pot/kettle, hence the steel pot.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

whoof wrote:
mercalia wrote:One thing to remember about alloy kettles - build up of hard water deposits - hard to remove from alloy kettles which may in the long run add how the water tastes?

I find tea tastes a bit strange if using an aluminium pot/kettle, hence the steel pot.

not just me then

I have found that also but could also be just how water tastes in the area where you are away? I may get my self another s.steel kettle for boiling the water also. The flavour can also taint boiled rice so I may invest in some ssteel pots also

regarding kettles it is important to get a single piece one not like this one that is crimped at the bottom

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Regatta-1-Litre-Durable-Stainless-Steel-Camping-Kettle/193433614765?epid=1667741300

this seems to be a good cheap one?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh500-stainless-steel-kettle-id_8504347.html

whilst I was poking around I came across this warning
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Aluminium safety

Aluminium can accumulate in your brain, lungs, bones, and other tissues, causing tangles in nerve fibres and leading to muscular dysfunction and memory loss.

Aluminium HASN’T been shown to be a cause of Alzheimer’s disease, but increased levels of aluminium in the brain have been noted in autopsies of Alzheimer’s patients which suggests that aluminium toxicity may be a risk factor in the disease.

Go for anodised or coated aluminium is a better bet, but don’t keep it so long that the coating degrades.

https://campfiremag.co.uk/camping-kettle/
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Poking around where you found all that red?
As i understand it this is effectively a non story.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I wouldn't worry about dementia from anything to do with aluminium.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/metals-and-dementia

But it probably isn't sensible to eat a lot of anything that's been cooked in aluminium pans in acid solution.

And if you have impaired renal function you should seek professional advice on aluminium intake.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Why would cooking in pans made of some other material be any safer? You'll find that not enough work has been done on those either.

Jonathan

EDITED: This was in response to a deleted post.