Wood Burner Compact Camping

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
mercalia

Re: Wood burning stoves

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:Poking around where you found all that red?
As i understand it this is effectively a non story.

dont know why you say that. The main point is the alloy can accumulate in the body. The question is then so what given the science is incomplete? Thats how I read it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The association has been postulated, but it doesn't hold up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer%27s_disease#Other_hypotheses
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131942/
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/metals-and-dementia

All science is incomplete. That's essential to it being science rather than a belief system.

Jonathan

PS: Why "alloy"?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Jdsk wrote:The association has been postulated, but it doesn't hold up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alzheimer%27s_disease#Other_hypotheses
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4131942/
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/metals-and-dementia

All science is incomplete. That's essential to it being science rather than a belief system.

Jonathan

PS: Why "alloy"?

Theoretically/in principle incomplete ,not the last word is not the same as given the current state of things. Newtonian Mechanics is complete in its own terms just not for very fast or very small. From brief scanning those articles I get the impression that much is still very much up in the air with few solid results, the science is still developing and there are ifs and buts. My experience has been alloy kettles/cookware seem to taint the water etc whereas s.steel doesnt: I remember when away cooking some rice in an alloy pan and the taste was horrible, dont see why I would want to ingest more metal than necessary just becuase the scientists say eat as much as you want it dont matter - we have seen how badly wrong "scientists" can be with the covid-19

ps. many people use alloy to refer to aluminium or aluminum.
Last edited by mercalia on 3 Aug 2020, 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

No, science is always incomplete. Experiments can always overpower the previous state of knowledge.

Saying that anything is complete "in its own terms" is profoundly unscientific by any modern definition. It has to hold up against every experimental study.

Jonathan

PS: Newtonian mechanics is useful as an approximation for the not very fast and the not very small. It isn't complete or true.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Anodising is just applying an oxide layer to aluminium by typically electrolytic process, however aluminium naturally oxidises anyway. It's just about controlling the thickness of the oxidation layer. If you scratch through the oxide layer the scratch oxidises.

If aluminium gets into your system through cooking in aluminium pans it's through the oxide layer. So is it just the thickness of the oxide layer that affects the amount of aluminium that gets into your system or does anodising really not make much difference to aluminium getting into the system?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Tangled Metal wrote:So is it just the thickness of the oxide layer that affects the amount of aluminium that gets into your system or does anodising really not make much difference to aluminium getting into the system?

I don't know of any studies of how that affects ingestion.

But NB the effect of the acidity of the cooking fluid.

Jonathan
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Here is the very nice s.s 1l kettle I got from Decathlon recently. It is one piece. It seems often not in stock so has to be ordered and collected eg in my case from Asda. Basic price is just £13 so add on postage. A good buy I think

WP_20200817_09_32_50_Pro.jpg

It has Quechua brand marked on the side.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh500-stainless-steel-kettle-id_8504347.html
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mercalia wrote:Here is the very nice s.s 1l kettle I got from Decathlon recently. It is one piece. It seems often not in stock so has to be ordered and collected eg in my case from Asda. Basic price is just £13 so add on postage. A good buy I think

looks nice, so nice you could use it at home, but don't like the look of the handle on the lid. could be improved.
Sweep
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Sweep wrote:
mercalia wrote:Here is the very nice s.s 1l kettle I got from Decathlon recently. It is one piece. It seems often not in stock so has to be ordered and collected eg in my case from Asda. Basic price is just £13 so add on postage. A good buy I think

looks nice, so nice you could use it at home, but don't like the look of the handle on the lid. could be improved.

well just use some kind of hook to lift it off. ( a bent spoke?) The lid itself isnt a tight fit into the kettle just rests on top and over I think the small handle is quite common on the ones I have seen. I thought you might take exception to the main handle which you will need gloves of some thing to handle.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Tangled Metal wrote:If aluminium gets into your system through cooking in aluminium pans it's through the oxide layer. So is it just the thickness of the oxide layer that affects the amount of aluminium that gets into your system or does anodising really not make much difference to aluminium getting into the system?

I don't know the answer either, but the first time I heated sausages in brine in an (old) aluminium mess tin, the oxide layer looked significantly thicker afterwards.

I've also found that an empty aluminium cooking vessel can easily melt on an open wood fire, and an aluminium pan holds less heat than a steel one, enough to be annoying when cooking pancakes. On the plus side I'm told aluminium restricts at least some bacterial growth - not as well as copper, but better than iron - and unlike copper it doesn't catalyse the breakdown of vitamins during cooking. Not that I see many copper cooking utensils these days.

Back towards the topic, my go-to for boiling water is a ghillie kettle and I find it works pretty well burning methylated spirit instead of wood, though it helps to have a stick or two to act as wicks.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pastychomper wrote:On the plus side I'm told aluminium restricts at least some bacterial growth - not as well as copper, but better than iron - and unlike copper it doesn't catalyse the breakdown of vitamins during cooking.

I wouldn't worry about any of those in this setting.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 19 Aug 2020, 11:59am, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Oh Yes!!
Oh and... nice :-)
Basic price is just £13 so add on postage. A good buy I think
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

The Ooni is a thing of loveliness - if you're a home-made-pizza nerd, they're brilliant - but I wouldn't want to take one cycle camping... Portable enough for car camping, mind.
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

You can use the Evernew DX and and a meths burner, the DX stand is good for wood fuel as well as a stand for the burner, nice and small packs nice, maybe not the best wood stove but you can boil water for a drink..
Pete... I think
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Cyclewala wrote:aluminium which don't like wood flame - I read they get black.

Tip from when I used to work with the Scout Association (who always use aluminium billies on fires then expect them to be polished up like new)

Rub some washing up liquid on the outside before putting it over the fire, quick scrub in hot water will remove the soot.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”