Re: Free/wild camping - toilet paper

Post by rualexander »

Sphagnum moss.

Or plain old fashioned water and non dominant hand
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:31pm
kylecycler wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:21pm A dog reading this thread would find it hilarious.
Would a bear be interested?

Jonathan (Asking for the Pope)
Bears are interested in everything – they have catholic taste. But they might protest about this unorthodox practice.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 7 Nov 2021, 6:57pm https://youtu.be/MnrR3GHQHUs
thanks - rather long vid so jumped around.
Interesting to see that he poo-pooed the idea of carrying out the paper - makes sense to me.
That tool he uses - have seen - rather pricey as I recall.

The GSI trowel has served me fine so far.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

He owns the company that makes that tool, the Deuce of Spades trowel. So obviously it's a bit of promo for the qualities of that particular trowel. AFAICS from talk on the web, the chief advantages are its very light weight. I've always found a Coghlan's trowel does the job, though I feel it would be useless in hard ground. It's very similar to the GSI but orange.

The leave no trace principles were developed for American wilderness – it's actually the name of an American conservation organisation* https://lnt.org – and it might be that burying toilet paper is destructive to the soil ecology of the Western deserts but not so essential in European farmland. Peat bogs might be another matter again.

*Curiously, they've chosen a photo of what looks like a UK urban litter bin to illustrate 'Dispose of waste properly' – look at their seven principles page.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 9:12am He owns the company that makes that tool, the Deuce of Spades trowel. So obviously it's a bit of promo for the qualities of that particular trowel. AFAICS from talk on the web, the chief advantages are its very light weight. I've always found a Coghlan's trowel does the job, though I feel it would be useless in hard ground. It's very similar to the GSI but orange.

The leave no trace principles were developed for American wilderness – it's actually the name of an American conservation organisation* https://lnt.org – and it might be that burying toilet paper is destructive to the soil ecology of the Western deserts but not so essential in European farmland. Peat bogs might be another matter again.

*Curiously, they've chosen a photo of what looks like a UK urban litter bin to illustrate 'Dispose of waste properly' – look at their seven principles page.
Have always had the idea that that superlight tool might be tough on your hands if not gloved. The GSI has a very good handle and isn't exactly heavy.
I do also have the orange Coghlan's trowel (how sad is that :) ) but find that the serrations on the GSI make the digging significantly easier. Hasn't had a mega amount of use so will be interesting to see how that "cutting power" holds up.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I've heard of people winding tape round the handle of the superlight metal trowels for that reason.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 12:01pm I've heard of people winding tape round the handle of the superlight metal trowels for that reason.
sounds like a design fail though?
But such is the endless search for saving grams.
Sweep
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I'd agree but with two caveats: some people are happy to use that handle without tape, and tape probably weighs less than if they'd made it out of smooth metal. And a third, which is the handle serves a digging function, as he points out in the video.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 8 Nov 2021, 5:43pm I'd agree but with two caveats: some people are happy to use that handle without tape, and tape probably weighs less than if they'd made it out of smooth metal. And a third, which is the handle serves a digging function, as he points out in the video.
mm - combined blade/handle?
Sweep
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Vorpal wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 2:08pm I've read that there is no scientific evidence to support the efficacy of dock leaves for nettle stings, and they do nothing for me, but my daughter, who is rather more bothered by nettles than I, is also helped very much by dock. She will get large, red, swollen splotches from nettles, but they go down immediately when dock is applied (crushed leaves, rubbed on the area). Even anti-histamine isn't as effective, as that takes a while to work, and she still sometimes experiences itching for a few hours.
As children we used to split the stem of the dock and use the sap. It was much more effective than the "sting relief" cream available at the time. These days I'm better at avoiding nettles! :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

LollyKat wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 3:15pmAs children we used to split the stem of the dock and use the sap. It was much more effective than the "sting relief" cream available at the time. These days I'm better at avoiding nettles! :D
That might be trick that hasn't been picked up on or lost over time; I think most of us only used the leaves.

Slightly off topic but if you're cooking up a stew when camping, try adding a big bunch of nettle tops (they 'wilt' a lot when cooked so you can be generous with the amount). Might be an acquired taste but I prefer it to any other green leafy vegetable, it's highly nutritious and costs nothing.

Tbh, mind you, I can't say I've ever 'cooked up a stew when camping' except in my head - my limited camping experience so far hasn't stretched to cooking! But I've been using nettle tops in stews or stir-fries or just about anything at home for a while.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Will bear that in mind and try out nettle stew in spring. They also make good shampoo!
nsew

Post by nsew »

Nettle tea while travelling is easy to knock up. Half fill the cup or pan with fresh leaves and fill to the top with boiling water, brew for a few minutes and add honey. While travelling I’ll sometimes seek out nettles when feeling dodgy.

“Nettle is a herb that is known for its medicinal properties. It is mostly consumed in its tea form to improve several health aspects like heart issues, gut health, immunity development, kidney function enhancement, allergy reduction, UTI treatment and arthritis pain. It is a powerful blood purifier that drives out toxins from the body, making it the perfect addition to your daily routine to stay healthy. The herb has antibacterial, antifungal, astringent, and anti-inflammation properties. What’s more, it is rich in vitamins A, B, C, and K, along with containing carotene and iron”
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Spit on the leaves first.