Free/wild camping - toilet paper

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Free/wild camping - toilet paper

Post by Sweep »

Delicate subject maybe, possibly why a search found not a lot on the matter.

Do folks carry it out in a bag or bury it with your "personal product"

I have carried it out in the past, and have seen some folk saying that this is a MUST.

But seriously, what harm is burying it going to do?

In the grand scheme of things.

I stress that I always leave no trace and have very strict views on litter, so please no-one flame me.

Genuine question.
Sweep
Oldjohnw

Re: Free/wild camping - toilet paper

Post by Oldjohnw »

Talking of flames, I usually burn it. Burying with the waste product seems perfectly reasonable, so long as the hole is deep enough.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 11:10am Talking of flames, I usually burn it. Burying with the waste product seems perfectly reasonable, so long as the hole is deep enough.
Perhaps better to return the carbon to the ecosystem by burying than to the atmosphere by burning?
I bury.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I agree. In fact that just hit me as I typed my reply above. So in future I will bury.

Thanks for the suggestion. Happy to learn and change.
John
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I looked up the subject of doing #2s in the wild some years ago. I used to cycle-tour quite a lot in northern France and found the combination of lots of food and the larger rural open spaces poses a challenge. If that happened in the UK, I'd just hold on 'till I either passed a public loo or a pub. In France, I felt I needed to adopt a more flexible solution. The conclusion I came to was to use what's known as a cat's scrape, amongst those who discuss such things. In which case I would often use the vegetation available at the time. Here is an artical which talks specifically about loo paper. The paras about loo paper are near the bottom (hoho) of the page.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My experience is limited to wild camping the hills. It doesn't arise on a normal bike ride.
John
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks folks - I think unless I get some very convincing argument on why I shouldn't I'll be burying it then - after all I'll be moving on - not inflicting myself on a spot long term - and lots of natural creatures are up to worse things in those woods.

I have used this trowel in the past:

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/coghlan ... owel-p9598

but must admit I find it a bit weak in all but the most forgiving ground.

At least from so-far short term use I can recommend this instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002YT4DJO? ... th=1&psc=1

Light, seems tough, good grip - the serrations help a lot with cutting down. Even has instructions on it :)
Sweep
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I have to say the whole burying #2's is quite amusing. Perhaps we should tell all the sheep/deer/horses/foxes/cats/dogs/cows etc to do likewise :lol:

Bury the paper (just make sure its not Izal!) by all means but the poo will actually decompse quicker on the surface than buried - as an archaeologist copralites could be an occupational hazzard and I recently had to remove a lot of buried poo from next doors cat in the potato patch!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

While burying it may mean slower decomposition, the thought of seeing it, treading in it or lying on it instead is less appealing.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

no paper needed, just use grass or leaves. (not so nice on a wet day) Spent a lot of time working in foresty would often have to use the great outdoors. (also, don't need as much cleaning after an outdoor squat compared with using a sit down lav)
Last edited by Pebble on 8 Oct 2021, 8:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thehairs1970 wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 9:56pm While burying it may mean slower decomposition, the thought of seeing it, treading in it or lying on it instead is less appealing.
agree totally - I wouldn't dream of not burying it - a few times I've popped into a bit of wood/a copse, maybe just for a P, and seen that someone has been there before and left an absolute mess, paper and all.

Slower decomposition doesn't bother me - the planet can take its time with it - there's often other stuff in woods not decomposing much at all - old tree planting things etc.
Sweep
hufty

Post by hufty »

I bury/cover the poo but carry out the paper. My thinking is if it got uncovered for any reason the paper will still be there long after the poo has decomposed/dried to dust/been dispersed by rain.

I have burned the paper in the past but unless you have a fire going (leaving a trace!) there are obvious reasons why this is not ideal and may not work effectively.

For carrying out, if I've used a wet wipe too would wrap the paper in that first, then will probably have a food wrapper or similar to finish off the parcel. Then it's okay in a pannier pocket or under a bungee until the next litter bin.

Have been testing supposedly fast-decomposting bamboo wet wipes by burying a few in the garden and seeing what happens. It's really not good. After six weeks the first one up was still completely recognisable as a wet wipe, was still white when rinsed off, and was still strong enough to wipe things.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

As unenchanting as it is, at least the bright white of loo paper gives fair visual warning of what's about...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

simonineaston wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 9:08pm As unenchanting as it is, at least the bright white of loo paper gives fair visual warning of what's about...
Except (sh)it should be buried 8” deep. And paper blows around.
John