new winter sleeping bag

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Aquila

new winter sleeping bag

Post by Aquila »

Am I over thinking it? I've never been one for buying top of the range camping gear, I normally read a lot of reviews and go for the best bang for buck option but with sleeping bags I just can't make my mind up as to which bag to go for.

My budget is around £200 but I'd like cheaper if possible and I'm looking for a 4 season down bag that has a bit room as I'm normally a side sleeper, I've seen the OEX Leviathan 900 for around £120 but being 6'1" its a little on the small side at 220cm ( I need to try one) and there is no option for a longer bag. I've noted the Rab Ascent 900 and 700 that have XL versions (the 700 is classed as a 3/4 season bag) but they come in at £279 and £232. I know Alpkit do longer bags and I aim to pay the shop a visit next week, but is there anything else I should be considering.....Thank you for any other suggestions.
horizon

Re: new winter sleeping bag

Post by horizon »

If you are looking at down then the price is in the down - the more down, the higher the price. I went for a Rab Ascent 700 and then looked for a low price (from memory about £160). But that is 200 gms less down than the OEX. It would be be interesting to know the differences between the two bags. A 900 gms Rab Ascent would set you back about £250 or more. The material may be the difference - Rab is Pertex and I don't know about the quality of the down in the OEX. Lightweight warmth doesn't come cheap.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nsew

Post by nsew »

There’s Fill Weight that Horizon describes and Fill Power which is the quality of the down. FP ranges from 500-1000 and is a measure of the fineness of the down which as the number increases provides more loft and insulation using less down.

At that price and fill weight I’d be surprised if the OEX was not a Chinese bag using Chinese down with horrific standards of care (zero). Rab use European down which has to meet certain standards of care. Responsibly sourced down.

I’m certain you’ll be alright in a standard Rab Ascent length at 6’1”as that’s within their recommendation. In fact that length will be perfect as there’s no unused area of the bag to create cold. Any taller and you’d want a long. If you went for a Rab Ascent 900 (or any 4 season bag) for the cold, you’ll hate it in the warmer months and also be lugging around unnecessary weight. Being too warm in a bag clogs the down.

My advice would be to get a Rab Ascent 500 or possibly 300 for spring/summer/autumn and supplement it with a cheap summer bag for winter. After years of messing about I now use a two bag system that together weighs 1080g and can handle -8deg. There isn’t one bag that can cover the whole year.
hufty

Post by hufty »

May also be worth looking at Cumulus? A few years ago now since I had to go through all this, but I ended up with a Panyam instead of a Rab. One thing that hasn't changed is bag comfort ratings are still hopelessly optimistic. Or maybe I'm just old and cold.
https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/ - don't forget there's VAT and shipping to add.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
nsew

Post by nsew »

Correction - It’s a discounted bag with a verifiable source of down. Good value if you fit in it but not much use outside of the cold months.

“The Allied Down Feather in this sleeping bag meets the Responsible Down Standard (RDS): ETHICALLY PRODUCED - ENVIRONMENTALLY RESPONSIBLE - 100% SUSTAINABLE.”
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think we are looking at duck down and goose down being on opposite ends of a warmth/cost spectrum. I would have thought that this is reflected in the 600 fill power figure, but maybe not. The OEX is duck, the high-end Rabs are goose and the Ascent falls somewhere in the middle with a mixture of duck and goose. Where it is sourced from is also, I agree, a key factor.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
horizon

Post by horizon »

hufty wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 1:11pm One thing that hasn't changed is bag comfort ratings are still hopelessly optimistic. Or maybe I'm just old and cold.
I think they are bonkers but the better manufacturers, to their credit, do often point this out. Who you are, what you eat, what you are lying on, who else is in the tent with you - it all counts, probably far more than the bag rating. And a "summer" rating (we had 5 deg overnight in Devon, camping in early September) is nonsense when compared to the "winter" 13 deg it will be tonight in mid November.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Thank you kindly for your replies ...... It was never a pi***** competition between the Rab and OEX... I know about RDS certified down, fill weight and fill power, I also know what size bag I like regardless of manufactures stated figures I also like to try before I buy (if possible) I've tried the Rab Ascent series and I'm not against buying one even the regular size though I'd probably go for the XL as i like to be able to pull the hood in the bag with me ( a habit I picked up dressing as a tree, putting my right hand next to my head and calling a few people sir) something only just possible with the Rab though my feet are up against the bottom of the bag.

The Cumulus bags look great if a little narrow below the knee for my liking but once you change the bag size the price makes them more expensive than the Rab. Have to agree with the comfort ratings always taken with a good pinch of salt.

Leading the race at the moment is the RAB ascent 700 XL until I can try the Alpkit bags and the OEX....Thanks' again for the input much appreciated any more suggestions gratefully received.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

horizon wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 1:25pm
hufty wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 1:11pm One thing that hasn't changed is bag comfort ratings are still hopelessly optimistic. Or maybe I'm just old and cold.
I think they are bonkers but the better manufacturers, to their credit, do often point this out. Who you are, what you eat, what you are lying on, who else is in the tent with you - it all counts, probably far more than the bag rating. And a "summer" rating (we had 5 deg overnight in Devon, camping in early September) is nonsense when compared to the "winter" 13 deg it will be tonight in mid November.
Crazy weather at the moment, I work nights it was 14c last night here in NE England, I may just stick with my little 2 season bag if these winter temperatures continue :D
nsew

Post by nsew »

Aquila wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 2:53pm I know about RDS certified down, fill weight and fill power, I also know what size bag I like regardless of manufactures stated figures I also like to try before I buy.
The £42 “3 season” Millets bag purchased a couple of years ago didn’t work out then?
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

I tried a number of bags. I was looking for a wide comfortable bag. The chinese clones were much too narrow. Most european brands were just a little too tight. I ended up looking at american bags for their wide girth. I ended up with a Kelty Cosmic (L). A good three season bag at a reasonable price. I am quite satisfied with it
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

The £42 “3 season” Millets bag purchased a couple of years ago didn’t work out then?
How lovely of you to go through my post history to find my sleeping bag thoughts, thank you for reminding me how good the £42 maggot has been. Mind you I wouldn't call it a winter bag which is why I'm now looking for one i can use in colder temperatures but its served me well and will continue to do so....... It would be nice to be able to afford Gucci touring and camping gear, I'm not a wealthy person and try to budget my gear accordingly.
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

MarcusT wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 5:28am I tried a number of bags. I was looking for a wide comfortable bag. The chinese clones were much too narrow. Most european brands were just a little too tight. I ended up looking at american bags for their wide girth. I ended up with a Kelty Cosmic (L). A good three season bag at a reasonable price. I am quite satisfied with it
Thanks' these look good, is there much room for feet? pictures can be deceiving but they do look a wee bit tight at the bottom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Aquila wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 2:32pm It would be nice to be able to afford Gucci touring and camping gear, I'm not a wealthy person and try to budget my gear accordingly.
You really wouldn't :lol:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/14653 ... eping-bag/
Aquila

Post by Aquila »

Bonefishblues wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 2:41pm
Aquila wrote: 10 Nov 2021, 2:32pm It would be nice to be able to afford Gucci touring and camping gear, I'm not a wealthy person and try to budget my gear accordingly.
You really wouldn't :lol:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/14653 ... eping-bag/
:lol: :lol: