new winter sleeping bag

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: new winter sleeping bag

Post by pjclinch »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:34am
Just remember that it depends on the sleeping system you're using i.e. external coverings tent whether it's three or four season, this will have a dramatic affect on which bag you would need.
Quite so: the thing here is the temperature you're looking for is the one inside your tent, not the one on the weather forecast. And if it's a twin-skin with the fly to the ground and no mesh on a windy, cold night that will make several degrees difference compared to a high-cut fly with loads of mesh on the inner.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:34am And ideally if you have a down bag you need to double bag it securely.
i'll not be a lot of good if the water gets at, if its one of the feather variety.
For a down bag to be "not a lot of good" it needs to be properly soaked. If you put it in a functional dry-bag with a roll seal that's not going to happen unless you crash in to a canal and fail to retrieve the bag for some hours and it gets punctured in the impact. Not that likely. I don't double bag mine even if I'm going by boat, but I make sure the single bag is a good one.
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:34amLiners are a bit of a talking subject and a bit controversial, if you like them and like a comfort all very well but I wouldn't rely on them in weighing up the warmth of your sleeping system.
For some values of "liners". If it's e.g. a fleece one of course it'll make the whole setup warmer. The main thing with adding warmth through liners of PJs is it's less effective than adding to warmth by using a bag with more effective primary insulation. However, it's more practical to decide to sleep in your clothes than carry a spare, heavier sleeping for colder nights during a week long tour, and it might make more sense to get a £50 fleece liner for a one-off than a £300+ warmer bag.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
horizon

Re: new winter sleeping bag

Post by horizon »

pjclinch wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:53am
Quite so: the thing here is the temperature you're looking for is the one inside your tent, not the one on the weather forecast. And if it's a twin-skin with the fly to the ground and no mesh on a windy, cold night that will make several degrees difference compared to a high-cut fly with loads of mesh on the inner.
This I'm afraid takes us back to my long-running point that the temperature inside the tent is significant. This means that the oft-touted fix for condensation (excessive venting) is a non-starter. I was recording up to 8 degC difference in outside/inside temps in the summer/autumn. I'm happy with whatever other people choose to keep themselves warm but for me there is a relationship between tent and sleeping bag (amongst other things) that the manufacturers brush aside in their claims to have dealt with condensation.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher