Alpkit dirtbag?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Alpkit dirtbag?

Post by Sweep »

Sleeping mat.
Anyone use/d one?
Any comments on its comfort/packability/what temps have used it down to?

I realise that it's not the lightest most compact of things but thought maybe its 5cm depth might be handy for colder weather.

Have a few bits from Alpkit and have been impressed with.

By the by, I see they have a new shop in Ilkley - will probably be popping in there sometime soonish.
Sweep
PH

Re: Alpkit dirtbag?

Post by PH »

Had one for a while, two week Sept Scottish tour, a weeks summer car camping and a few long weekends. It was fine without being anything exceptional, exactly as you'd expect from a thick self inflating mat. I'm a three season camper, so never tested in when really cold, but it was fine when chilly. Quite bulky, I rolled it at full width and stuck it on top of the rack, heavy as well, I wouldn't mind the extra weight if it resulted in a good nights sleep - but for me it didn't.
Despite three failures, I keep going back to inflated mats, I just sleep so much better on them, I'm hoping the current button cell design lasts longer than the tube type.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 5:32pm I wouldn't mind the extra weight if it resulted in a good nights sleep - but for me it didn't.
thanks for the reply PH.
What was the problem you found with the comfort?
Am intrigued as it is thicker than many.
I must admit to being a tad shocked when I saw the packed full width dimensions but I could live with that if needs must.
Sweep
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 5:42pm What was the problem you found with the comfort?
These things are very individual - I'm heavy and a side sleeper, so even at 5cm I could feel the ground at hip and shoulder unless I have it inflated so firm as to make the thickness irrelevant. Or... well maybe I don't know, either I sleep right through the night and wake refreshed, or wake up several times and suffer the following day, it isn't always obvious why I'm waking.
My current mat, an Exped SynCellMat, isn't any thicker, but without the foam feels completely different. It was also three times the price, but as with weight, getting a good nights sleep is top of the list.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 6:07pm
Sweep wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 5:42pm What was the problem you found with the comfort?
These things are very individual - I'm heavy and a side sleeper, so even at 5cm I could feel the ground at hip and shoulder unless I have it inflated so firm as to make the thickness irrelevant. Or... well maybe I don't know, either I sleep right through the night and wake refreshed, or wake up several times and suffer the following day, it isn't always obvious why I'm waking.
My current mat, an Exped SynCellMat, isn't any thicker, but without the foam feels completely different. It was also three times the price, but as with weight, getting a good nights sleep is top of the list.
thanks for the extra info PH - sounds like a possibility for me - will check it out when in Ilkley.
Other opinions/feedback welcome of course.
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We've got two. Work well but slippy I find. Need to add a few silicone dots on the base i think. Heard it helps. Most annoying to wake up with the mat ejected out the side. Never happens with thermarest mats somehow.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 9:57am We've got two. Work well but slippy I find. Need to add a few silicone dots on the base i think. Heard it helps. Most annoying to wake up with the mat ejected out the side. Never happens with thermarest mats somehow.
What temps do you use them doen to Tangled?
Am assuming you find them comfortable.
Pity about the slippiness - I get this sometimes with some mats - personally would be wary of sticking anything to a mat.
Do you carry them on a bike/bikes?
Sweep
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We toured in summer with them pre covid. I used a synmat instead though.

Currently I use it under a blanket in the lower R&R bed. It gets cold down to zero in the van but the dirt bag stops me getting cold. This weekend it was minus 2 outside and in the morning inside it wasn't much higher. We've used it in a tent in temperatures where I cracked the ice off the tent as I got out. No idea of the temperature then but it gives you an idea. That was car camping though in the great langdales campsite.

It's bulky but decent for the money. Kind of typical alpkit kit I think.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tangled Metal wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 10:08am We toured in summer with them pre covid. I used a synmat instead though.

Currently I use it under a blanket in the lower R&R bed. It gets cold down to zero in the van but the dirt bag stops me getting cold. This weekend it was minus 2 outside and in the morning inside it wasn't much higher. We've used it in a tent in temperatures where I cracked the ice off the tent as I got out. No idea of the temperature then but it gives you an idea. That was car camping though in the great langdales campsite.

It's bulky but decent for the money. Kind of typical alpkit kit I think.
Thanks tangled - sounds fine for my purposes - winter trips will be short and the tent will be light and compact so will save weight/bulk there.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

I’ve got the Dumo, which to me seemed to hit the sweet point between cost, weight, and comfort. The 10cm thickness is extremely good. Has absolutely no insulation in it though. So not great for cold weather by itself.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 10:25am I’ve got the Dumo, which to me seemed to hit the sweet point between cost, weight, and comfort. The 10cm thickness is extremely good. Has absolutely no insulation in it though. So not great for cold weather by itself.
Interesting - thanks - some of the reviews seem to indicate that folk have been happy down to some prettly low temperatures with it - which surprised me a bit, as, as you say, it has no insulation.

Some reviews also seem to say it is a bit narrow - do you find it a problem?

The inflation system sounds good.

I have the Numo by the way - have freecamped in October with that no probs, though nights were relatively mild.
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Sweep wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 10:55am
Interesting - thanks - some of the reviews seem to indicate that folk have been happy down to some prettly low temperatures with it - which surprised me a bit, as, as you say, it has no insulation.

Some reviews also seem to say it is a bit narrow - do you find it a problem?

The inflation system sounds good.

I have the Numo by the way - have freecamped in October with that no probs, though nights were relatively mild.
I have no problems with the width at all. As long as you don’t inflate it so it’s hard it’s very comfy and the built in pump works really well.

I usually have a 3 season down bag, so haven’t really felt too cold on it, but I can feel the ground, if that makes sense.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Do they publish an R value for it (or whatever the variable us called)?
It's quite possible to have thick mats that are poor insulators. The tubular blow up ones are like this. I have used radiator backing with a mat of the tubular type for spring/autumn to get the insulation up.
PH

Post by PH »

Pendodave wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 11:46am Do they publish an R value for it (or whatever the variable us called)?
Alpkit don't use R values and give their reasons here
https://alpkit.com/blogs/develop/what-a ... t-r-values
But one thick self inflating mat with cut foam is going to be much the same as any other, 4ish.
It's quite possible to have thick mats that are poor insulators.The tubular blow up ones are like this.
Some of them are, but there's far more variation with the inflated mats - the size of the chambers, what if any insulation they contain, surface shape - all paly a role. Thermarest for example have inflated mats with R values from 2 to 7.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

This guy appears to have slept on a Numo in a bivi in the snow.

https://alpkit.com/blogs/deeds/snow-cov ... OH,1YRH5,1

True it appears that in the middle of the night he put a down jacket on, but am still surprised.

I didn't think the Numo was intended for those sorts of conditions.
Sweep