Pictures of your tents.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
pjclinch

Re: Pictures of your tents.

Post by pjclinch »

philsknees wrote:I always lock my bike even on remoter small islands following a conversation with the cycle hire guy on Barra several years ago. Bikes he hired out were regularly "appropriated" by the local yoofs as a handy way to get home at closing time.

If you're camping between a local hotel and a village that's a fair point, but if you've chosen a remote dune-top reverie it's a bit of a non-issue. Also the case that Barra with its 1100 population and several distinct villages is a teeming metropolis compared to the likes of Muck (27 people), Eigg (105) and Canna (21) where "closing time" has possibly less meaning...

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

foxyrider wrote:
ossie wrote:Vaude Taurus Ultralite

So I don't own the only one! Never seen another out on the road (or Power Lizard for that matter), always get admiring glances from other campers when the Vaude's go up in double quick time!

I'm pretty sure I owned the predecessor to this one. It was the same shape but bright orange and single skin. It also had the most hilarious set of instructions for achieving an erect tent. I believe it was the scorpion II. We had to ditch it in 2014 when him indoors joined the rest of us on a cycle camping tour when we had a 3 person tent. It gradually delaminated itself during the (luckily dry) trip.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MrsHJ wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

So I don't own the only one! Never seen another out on the road (or Power Lizard for that matter), always get admiring glances from other campers when the Vaude's go up in double quick time!

I'm pretty sure I owned the predecessor to this one. It was the same shape but bright orange and single skin. It also had the most hilarious set of instructions for achieving an erect tent. I believe it was the scorpion II. We had to ditch it in 2014 when him indoors joined the rest of us on a cycle camping tour when we had a 3 person tent. It gradually delaminated itself during the (luckily dry) trip.

Yours was a different model altogether from that description. If I remember rightly they did several tents that looked similar, Taurus range, Hogan range and yes, something like Scorpion 1 season stuff.

Mine is actually a 2002 Taurus SL which is green, double skinned, no outrigger poles/guys just two poles which you can't get wrong. Great tent which I really should use more.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

MrsHJ wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

Yours was a different model altogether from that description. If I remember rightly they did several tents that looked similar, Taurus range, Hogan range and yes, something like Scorpion 1 season stuff.

Mine is actually a 2002 Taurus SL which is green, double skinned, no outrigger poles/guys just two poles which you can't get wrong. Great tent which I really should use more.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

foxyrider wrote:

I thought it was probably the thought process for later tents -mine was around 1995 and the single skin was pretty adventurous but I loved the experimenting with the humpback shape and minimal poles and light weight. The shape is very similar to your one and I thought quite distinctive (not that I'm an expert but I looked at the shape of your tent and it was very familiar and I don't see many of that style). Mine was single pole together with a strap running all the way underneath end to end to brace the hump. You could squeeze two friendly people in and that's basically why I bought it.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

Gattonero wrote:
Jezrant wrote:I'm new to this concept of taking photos to show off your tent. It's just a place to pass the night.

May help a discussion with other people regarding some features/likes-dislikes/pitching options/etc.?
Forums are about discussion and exchange of ideas, not just "showing off" :D

Is that what forums are about? All this time I thought it was just about showing off, point-scoring and slagging off strangers anonymously from the safe distance of your keyboard. :lol:
albal1

Post by albal1 »

Terra Nova Laser Competition 2. I like this tent lot. Good in the wind.
Attachments
TN laser . Tour in Canada 2018
TN laser . Tour in Canada 2018
TN laser this time canal side eastern France.
TN laser this time canal side eastern France.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

albal1 wrote:Terra Nova Laser Competition 2. I like this tent lot. Good in the wind.

Have to take your word for it, can't see anything in the pics they are so dark!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Jezrant wrote:
Gattonero wrote:
Jezrant wrote:I'm new to this concept of taking photos to show off your tent. It's just a place to pass the night.

May help a discussion with other people regarding some features/likes-dislikes/pitching options/etc.?
Forums are about discussion and exchange of ideas, not just "showing off" :D

Is that what forums are about? All this time I thought it was just about showing off, point-scoring and slagging off strangers anonymously from the safe distance of your keyboard. :lol:

some people live with optimistic views, others seem to need negativity all the time...
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Calm down girls.
I'd rather a misty optic than an optimistic.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Gontlib

Post by Gontlib »

Summer 2018 at Pappenheim, Germany on the Altmühl cycle route.
Attachments
image.jpeg
pete75

Post by pete75 »

My tent is shown on the York Rally web site whenever they use this picture which they do frequently though it dates from 2015.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
londoncommuter0000

Post by londoncommuter0000 »

Edwards wrote:I love to see pictures of where other's have camped, especially if there is a bike in the picture as well.

Sorry I have not got one to post yet but as soon as I find the file on the camera I will do so. :oops:

Our Big Agnes 3-man (minus fly, which is lying next to the tent) in Krems an der Donau.
Attachments
20170902-IMG_1905.jpg
--
Surly LHT | Genesis Flyer | Giant Defy Advanced Pro | CBoardman 29er Pro
London is a cesspit
SeedCycle

Post by SeedCycle »

1 person Doite Tent 600 gr
thumb_SAM_5751_1024.jpg
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

SeedCycle wrote:1 person Doite Tent 600 gr
thumb_SAM_5751_1024.jpg

That's not a tent, its a cloth coffin! :lol: