Pictures of your tents.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Re: Pictures of your tents.

Post by foxyrider »

That inner looks like a right cowbag to use - that door is so narrow!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

The door's not too bad, when there's only one person using it, but yes it is narrow compared to other tents. The only negative points I have against it is the lack of porch space for cooking or storage, no inner loops to hang a mini Tilly lamp (I probably wouldn't hang a gas one anyway) and the overall packed length is a little long, governed by the length of the poles, compared to other small tents. It is very light, well made and holds its shape very well - although I've not experienced strong winds, I've had medium winds? enough to distort other tents on the same campsite without bothering this one. So I am fairly pleased with it!
fossil

Post by fossil »

Hi Phil,
What campsite was that , it looks rather good judging by the photo.

Ade
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Yes, it was an excellent site - the Boroughbridge Camping and Caravan Club site, just south east of Ripon. We did our own, but faster version of Way of the Roses from Morecambe to Bridlington (before going up to Newcastle, across to Maryport, through the Lakes and down to Manchester) and that was about half way.

The good thing about C&CC sites is that they will always take in backpackers and this was a busy bank holiday weekend. The first site on the WOR route was already full when I pre-phoned, but this site has its own quiet area set aside for back packers! It was very busy as well, but we managed to get washing machine and tumble dryer access and then only a short walk into town for food and the pub! That was Sun 3rd June and singularly the most unpleasant summer day I've ever cycled in!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Here is a useful summer addition to the Hilleberk Akto - a mesh inner (with carbon pole!) which can be erected as a stand-alone for those wild camping, long summer nights (obviously not in UK then?). I've now sold this on to a mate as I've changed over to a Soulo.

jags

Post by jags »

so how much better do you think the soulo is over the akto..
have to say the akto is a super tent but i just don't like it :lol: :lol:
i know i know stupid statement but i like loads more room.
any idea how much my akto would be worth if i were to sell.
perfect condition with footprint.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

jags wrote:so how much better do you think the soulo is over the akto..

It is all down to purpose for use - and in some instances the Soulo would not suit many people including Akto users.

The Soulo is smaller inside and has a smaller usable Porch area. It is much heavier and much larger when packed. I can sit up in it without my head touching (which I can't in the Akto) and it suffers less from condensation than the Akto. I needed a free-standing tent (to pitch on rocky ground when mountaineering - not that I do much these days) and although the Akto is rated at 4-season there are some UK conditions that it would not be as suitable for as the Soulo. The Soulo is very well built and oozes quality - I also think it is more durable and robust especially compared to my Easton Kilo, which will be summer use only. I am, however, happy enough to carry the extra weight of the Soulo for all other times of the year knowing I have a very good tent.

My friend has just bought the Hilleberg Anji and I was impressed with how much room that had for how light it was and how small it packed - his only disappointment was that the footprint didn't cover the porch area! Although it is rated at 3-season compared to the Akto's 4-season it is more than sufficient for cycle-camping use year round in the UK i.e. staying at a campsite and not in the hills.

I sold my Akto no this site, complete with footprint, to an hopefully happy customer for £200, which I think is about average and a fair price. They can make more on eBay depending upon the circumstances, and one also sold on this Site shortly before mine for £180, which I thought was good value (no footprint though).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

jags wrote:so how much better do you think the soulo is over the akto

Had an Akto, did not like it. Looked at a Soulo (shop erected one for me), decided it was similar in space to Akto. Bought an Unna for lots of space and greater head room. Like Phil Parker I appreciate the free standing capability of both the Soulo and Unna.
jags

Post by jags »

thanks lads great tents these hillies but my mountain hardware spear gt 2 wins hands down .
but only because of the loads more room. :roll:
still think i would sell both and buy a nallo gt 2 myself anyone interested in a trade . :wink:
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

still think i would sell both and buy a nallo gt 2 myself anyone interested in a trade .

Sorry, I've already got a Nallo 2 GT as well! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jags

Post by jags »

nice one phil rub it in :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jags

Post by jags »

btw are you a guitar player could always do a deal on that. :wink:
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I'm afraid you would be even less impressed if you saw my guitar portfolio - that would really be rubbing it in! :D
jags

Post by jags »

ah go on i can stand it. :lol:
hazecellar

Post by hazecellar »

vango banshee in march just outside wem when all the fog was about - 3am i was so cold and damp with all my kit on i wanted to pack up and ride but just too foggy

wem
wem