Pictures of your tents.

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Re: Pictures of your tents.

Post by foxyrider »

The Power Lizard SUL 1/2 has seen some interesting weather contrasts this year from torrential Yorkshire rain last weekend in Markington
DSCN1900.JPG

to glorious sunshine on the August tour of southern Sweden
DSCN9029.JPG
not that it was all so nice as on Oland,
DSCN8767.JPG
Tingsryd was decidedly damp!

still not convinced i'd want two sleeping in it mind!
DSCN2406.JPG
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
ossie

Post by ossie »

Vaude Taurus UL on a lovely little campsite in the Netherlands last month.

sunnydunny63

Post by sunnydunny63 »

Here's my almost 30 year old Pheonix Phlighter A, pitched in May this year at Tan Hill.

I bought the tent second hand for £80 in 1991 in "As new" condition having only been used for 1 week by a Scout doing DofE. ancient a bit like myself though that's where the similarity ends as it is still in perfect working order. Always 100% dry when packed away and between uses brought out to air regularly, occasional proofing applied but not regularly and it's never leaked. Recently started using a home-made Tyvek ground sheet for additional protection otherwise used as bought, not had to replace a single part !!
Attachments
20190512_080845.jpg
phoog

Post by phoog »

IMG_20191002_180707.jpg
My Robert Saunders spacepacker at a campsite in Siena (Tuscany) a brilliant tent that I'm gutted I got rid of!
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Saunders triton big and spacious just one end opens
Attachments
IMG_20210418_171342_2.jpg
IMG_20210418_173531_0.jpg
jdthebrit

Post by jdthebrit »

pjclinch wrote:
Thehairs1970 wrote:Force Ten. That cam from the original Force Ten tents. They WERE bombproof. It the late 80's I was camping in the Cairngorms, somewhere up behind Ben Macdui. We had three Force Tens and a Peapod (Saunders?).
Peapods were made by Ultimate IIRC.
Thehairs1970 wrote: Not sure modern Force Tens will manage and hope you don't have to find out!
The original was the Vango Force 10, i.e., a model range. These days F10 is Vango's premium brand with a whole arrayof models, some of which emphasise being very light so will certainly not take the same beating as a F10 "Classic" (still available from F10, see https://www.force-ten.co.uk/gb/blog/14_ ... tents.html). Having said that, something like the current XPD3 ought to be properly bomber, and is less towards the "ideal for an expedition with porters and pack-animals" end of the weight/bulk spectrum.
I've spent a lot of time in F10 Classics over the years, and they are great tents. As long as you're not carrying them far...

Pete.
The Peapod was great, but you had to erect it backed up into the wind.
Once upon a time you could wild camp above Lulworth Cove without being set upon by the local farmers, and I was hit by a force 10.
The Peapod was set up for a sea view, and so bent double from the head on gale. Life wasn't much better in the mangy air raid shelter alongside.
The concrete bunker was pulling on it's foundations and what Hitler had failed to shift I could have sworn a Channel storm would..... Thankfully the Peapod was quality gear and was untouched when the storm abated, hand built in Halifax ( I visited the mill, circa 1986...)
Ultimate RIP.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my motorola one macro using hovercraft full of eels.

andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

My heavyweight tent (the right-hand one), some long time ago.
zenitb

Wild Country Zerpheros 1

Post by zenitb »

Here is my Wild Country Zepheros pitched up at Geoff's (aka Breton Bikes) campsite in Gouarec, Brittany on EuroVelo route 1 (highly recommended campsite btw).
Wild Country Zepheros 1 / Cannondale M700
Wild Country Zepheros 1 / Cannondale M700
This was only two years ago..cant wait to get back.

BTW ...is the Zepheros just the old Spacepacker design with poles at the ends of the inner to to keep the flysheet off your face? Having slept in both I think the Zepheros (and the up market Terra Nova Marathon versions) are the logical successor to the old Saunders classic.?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

As I see it, the Zephyros is a cheaper version of the Terra Nova Laser Comp, which was a copy of the Hilleberg Akto with one pole at each end rather than two, for weight saving.
The Spacepacker was the first transverse hoop tent, but it was quite a bit larger, and wouldn't have worked as a single person design (need the height on the arch for face clearance reasons, which dictates enough width for two). The Akto was the first to introduce end poles, which is what makes a single person transverse hoop tent possible.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

andrew_s wrote: 5 Jun 2021, 2:46pm As I see it, the Zephyros is a cheaper version of the Terra Nova Laser Comp, which was a copy of the Hilleberg Akto with one pole at each end rather than two, for weight saving.
The Spacepacker was the first transverse hoop tent, but it was quite a bit larger, and wouldn't have worked as a single person design (need the height on the arch for face clearance reasons, which dictates enough width for two). The Akto was the first to introduce end poles, which is what makes a single person transverse hoop tent possible.
Sounds a fair analysis of the development Andrew...I've had a bit of a break in backpacking and cycle touring from the 1980s until picking up again a few years ago...so lots of changes since then which I have missed out on. I did find the "flysheet in your face" of the Spacepacker offputting even back then though with just a Karrimat....i guess it would be worse now with the thicker sleep mats. The zepheros seems to get it right though..at least for my 5'11" height...
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

A short 3 day trip. Inverness to Lochcarron.
Stopped off at Achnasheen railway station.
Good area for the Hubba Hubba. Toilets and free wi-fi.
Attachments
Hubba Hubba
Hubba Hubba
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

matt2matt2002 wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 8:12pm A short 3 day trip. Inverness to Lochcarron.
Stopped off at Achnasheen railway station.
Good area for the Hubba Hubba. Toilets and free wi-fi.
A freecamp?
If so, a bit close to a road/in plain view?
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

Hilleberg Niak
A60E9171-14AE-498F-BD38-562C8ADA55DA.jpeg
Last edited by leftpoole on 9 Jun 2021, 3:42pm, edited 1 time in total.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

image.jpg
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

Just spent six days trying out my helm 1 compact in the Trough of Bowland and the Yorkshire dales so far so good with enough room for me , and the 4 panniers in the 2 vestibules
Attachments
image.jpeg