Trangia stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bretonbikes

Re: Trangia stoves

Post by bretonbikes »

b1galus wrote:i was never a fan of the Trangia . my friend had one and it always took forever to get a brew . i have lots of stoves probably about ten or so but now i have a Trangia and it is my main stove . i found out the problem with the stove was operator error and once i'd cured the 1d10t problem they are simple and efficient and most of all quiet

This always amazes me - I find a trangia pretty quick, if there is any breeze they are quicker than an unshielded gas burner! The important think is to set it up properly and use the lid the right way up to form the classic Trangia chimney - it's quicker than the kettle for boiling too.

The biggest advantage though is you can do proper cooking and not spend your time shaking half-empty cannisters and wondering how long they will last before you have to take a 30 mile detour to find a replacement...

I've written a thousand words about it all here - http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cyc ... gia-cooker - I have posted this before but I've since moved the page so the old link might not work.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for that breton, i well remember waiting forever for a gas canister stove to boil pasta water above durdle door and in the outer hebrides,
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for that breton, i well remember waiting forever for a gas canister stove to boil pasta water above durdle door and in the outer hebrides,

I dare say your canister was getting empty.
If you have an inappropriate gas stove, and/or don't know how to use it (not unrelated facts), gas stoves can be very slow towards the end of the canister.
If you have an appropriate stove and know how to use it, the performance at the end of the canister will be just as good as a new canister.

bretonbikes wrote:This always amazes me - I find a trangia pretty quick, if there is any breeze they are quicker than an unshielded gas burner!

I dare say the people who comment about how slow a Trangia is aren't the people who fail to equip themselves with a wind shield for their stove.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

andrew_s wrote:
Sweep wrote:Thanks for that breton, i well remember waiting forever for a gas canister stove to boil pasta water above durdle door and in the outer hebrides,

If you have an inappropriate gas stove, and/or don't know how to use it (not unrelated facts), gas stoves can be very slow towards the end of the canister.
If you have an appropriate stove and know how to use it, the performance at the end of the canister will be just as good as a new canister.

bretonbikes wrote:This always amazes me - I find a trangia pretty quick, if there is any breeze they are quicker than an unshielded gas burner!

I dare say the people who comment about how slow a Trangia is aren't the people who fail to equip themselves with a wind shield for their stove.

My Trangia does a 1/2 of water in under five minutes regardless of wind (gales included), rain, whether the meths bottle is half empty or not. I can wait that long for a cuppa...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

andrew_s wrote:

e.

Thanks for your thoughts. Durdle door was because of a lack of windshield. Can't remember details of hebrides affair - twas a long time ago - you forgot to mention using too much water (don't believe everything italians tell you) and that may have been a factor.what do you consider to be an "inappropriate" gas stove?
Sweep
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

"Appropriateness" of gas stoves...

The main design differences in gas stoves are can-top, where the stove head is directly mounted on the can, and remote-can, where a hose joins the can and the burner. When you're actually cooking the remote-can has a few potential advantages. First of all it can be made lower and more stable, as it doesn't have to perch on top of a bottle, and secondly with a bit more leeway in the route the gas takes it's far more common for remote-can stoves to have the feed going over the flame to pre-heat the fuel. The point of doing that is it ensures you have gas coming out rather than any liquid, which makes it a lot safer to invert the canister and get every last wee bit of fuel out. When its really on its last legs you can even give it a shake... those tactics obviously won't work with a can-top, or not in such a way that you can keep cooking!

Another point about a low-down design with the fuel off to the side rather than underneath is you can shield the burner from the wind more easily and effectively. That'll save a lot of time and fuel if you're outside in a stiff breeze.

And that's why I prefer remote-can to can-top for gas, though we do keep a wee can-top for weight weenie trips with cooking less significant than weight and bulk saving.

The Trangia gas conversion is pretty much an end point in stability and wind shielding against weight and bulk for light camping stoves. It's more stable and better wind-proofed than pretty much anything else out there, and consequently much the nicest thing to cook on if you're in any sort of wind.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

pjclinch wrote:"Appropriateness" of gas stoves...

The main design differences in gas stoves are can-top, where the stove head is directly mounted on the can, and remote-can, where a hose joins the can and the burner. When you're actually cooking the remote-can has a few potential advantages. First of all it can be made lower and more stable, as it doesn't have to perch on top of a bottle, and secondly with a bit more leeway in the route the gas takes it's far more common for remote-can stoves to have the feed going over the flame to pre-heat the fuel. The point of doing that is it ensures you have gas coming out rather than any liquid, which makes it a lot safer to invert the canister and get every last wee bit of fuel out. When its really on its last legs you can even give it a shake... those tactics obviously won't work with a can-top, or not in such a way that you can keep cooking!

Another point about a low-down design with the fuel off to the side rather than underneath is you can shield the burner from the wind more easily and effectively. That'll save a lot of time and fuel if you're outside in a stiff breeze.

And that's why I prefer remote-can to can-top for gas, though we do keep a wee can-top for weight weenie trips with cooking less significant than weight and bulk saving.

The Trangia gas conversion is pretty much an end point in stability and wind shielding against weight and bulk for light camping stoves. It's more stable and better wind-proofed than pretty much anything else out there, and consequently much the nicest thing to cook on if you're in any sort of wind.

Pete.

High Pete - good summary. The only thing I'd disagree about is the Trangia gas attachment. I bought one and it was quickly abandoned - not just because of the usual problems with gas, but because I found the flame concentrated the heat very much on one spot on the pan so that even on low heat it would burn my cassoulet beans to the bottom;-) With the meths burner the flames rise up to surround the pan and the heat is much more even - which is why it's so good for proper cooking - because it will allow much more heat transfer without burning. For boiling water it's obviously not an issue.
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

I had a Trangia....for a couple of years. Then I found the Optimus Terra Solo Cook Set coupled with the Optimus Crux Lite burner - 272g as opposed to the 1100g of my Trangia setup. I can cook all I need on this gear. Takes up half the space too!
http://www.joe-brown.com/22524/products/optimus-crux-lite-gas-stove.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CJjsg5-QicsCFcYcGwodk_EEiQ
http://www.joe-brown.com/6346/products/optimus-terra-solo-cookset.aspx
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Anyone find the 27 a bit too tiddly? The frying pan looks almost unusable for you do have to move stuff around a bit. Also the two pots are I think the same size in the 27 which maybe removes a certain flexibility?

Are the 27 pots/pans tiddly if you are stirring stuff around in them?

I perversely use the 25 for single use but am aware that it takes up more room in my pannier than is ideal.
Sweep
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Nareloc wrote:I had a Trangia....for a couple of years. Then I found the Optimus Terra Solo Cook Set coupled with the Optimus Crux Lite burner - 272g as opposed to the 1100g of my Trangia setup. I can cook all I need on this gear. Takes up half the space too!
http://www.joe-brown.com/22524/products/optimus-crux-lite-gas-stove.aspx?origin=pla&kwd=&currency=GBP&gclid=CJjsg5-QicsCFcYcGwodk_EEiQ
http://www.joe-brown.com/6346/products/optimus-terra-solo-cookset.aspx

No argument with that - but you couldn't cook a family meal for 4 on it;-)
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Sweep wrote:Anyone find the 27 a bit too tiddly? The frying pan looks almost unusable for you do have to move stuff around a bit. Also the two pots are I think the same size in the 27 which maybe removes a certain flexibility?

Are the 27 pots/pans tiddly if you are stirring stuff around in them?

I perversely use the 25 for single use but am aware that it takes up more room in my pannier than is ideal.

A man after my own heart. Mind you last time I took one of our led trip I cooked a copious cous-cous (lamb chops, merguez, chipolatas, veg and cous-cous) for 14 people on 5 Trangias;-) Mind you I did look a bit like Cozy Powell playing his drum kit...
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

bretonbikes wrote:No argument with that - but you couldn't cook a family meal for 4 on it;-)

Yes though if you have a family of four you can make them carry the pots.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bretonbikes wrote:
A man after my own heart. Mind you last time I took one of our led trip I cooked a copious cous-cous (lamb chops, merguez, chipolatas, veg and cous-cous) for 14 people on 5 Trangias;-) Mind you I did look a bit like Cozy Powell playing his drum kit...

:) loved the cozy powell image, though it does date you, and me of course.

Happy to find that i'm not totally mad using the 25 - have felt like a bit of a pan [derogatory word removed] until now.

Feel free to post that recipe breton.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Didn't like the innocent joky word i put after pan!

How about: [derogatory word removed]
Sweep