Trangia stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
ajj

Re: Trangia stoves

Post by ajj »

On our recent trip to France we had temperatures of 30C+ well into the evening. We found that we couldn't extinguish the burner with the simmer ring in the usual way, but had to leave the remaining meths to burn away. Has anyone else experienced this, or found a solution to the problem? Thanks.
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Did you get a little candle like-flame out the simmer ring pivot hole?

In that case just block off the pivot hole with something set on top: eg a pan base; I used to use the upside down burner screw-cap.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Des49

Post by Des49 »

ajj wrote:On our recent trip to France we had temperatures of 30C+ well into the evening. We found that we couldn't extinguish the burner with the simmer ring in the usual way, but had to leave the remaining meths to burn away. Has anyone else experienced this, or found a solution to the problem? Thanks.

Wonder if you were away the same time as we were? One day in particular was very uncomfortably hot, max. of 39 C.

Also used a Trangia, no problem putting it out. Once the burner is really hot after being used a while I doubt a few degrees of ambient heat will make much difference. If I don't manage to place the extinguisher on properly and a flame is still burning I have found I can just blow it out. Or move the extinguisher with a fork or tent peg and put it on properly.

As SA_SA_Sa mentioned another way is to just place something on top of it like a pan base, best way if the simmer control is already in use on the burner. This is where there is a draw back of the latest Trangia, the new ones seem to have a clip mechanism for the windshield to base connection. This means one cannot so easily lift off the windshield and lower a pan base onto the burner to put it out.
hufty

Post by hufty »

By clip mechanism do you mean the three nibs that lock the windshield to the base? If cooking under the fly we tend to use the pan lifter on the windshield: turn and lift both windshield and pan as one, then slip in something flat as normal to extinguish the flame.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Des49

Post by Des49 »

hufty wrote:By clip mechanism do you mean the three nibs that lock the windshield to the base? If cooking under the fly we tend to use the pan lifter on the windshield: turn and lift both windshield and pan as one, then slip in something flat as normal to extinguish the flame.

Yes, only came across these recently. My Trangia is over 30 yrs old and has no nibs. Brought a new one recently for one of my daughters (also couldn't find mine, it wasn't where I "knew" it was!) This new one has the nibs. I did find I could use the pan grabs on the windshield and unscrew it from the base without too much effort once it had been done a few times. Not sure why the nibs are really necessary, as the orginal was stable enough.