Trangia stoves

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sweep

Re: Trangia stoves

Post by Sweep »

Tea alert - proper tea should of course be made with boiling water.

Water from a flask won't cut it.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

oh no! :shock:

Boiling water will scald the tea leaves. It has to be a few minutes off boiling.

Now, this thread can go off on a tea-making tangent :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

What happens if the poor delicate leaves are scalded?
Sweep
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Sweep wrote:To be honest meic i think you were trying to use tha trangia for something isn't designed for - short tea stops rather than in-camp tea.

This^^^ - The Trangia is really best for people who want to cook in camp - in fact the best for that purpose. For 5 minute brew-ups then there are obviously better options - like going into a cafe;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

Vorpal wrote:oh no! :shock:

Boiling water will scald the tea leaves. It has to be a few minutes off boiling.

Now, this thread can go off on a tea-making tangent :wink:

Burn the heretic ! You must be thinking about coffee.

The water must be boiling when it hits the leaves. Pot to the kettle not kettle to the pot, so the water is a tad hotter, quite apart from the unspeakable practice of milk and teabag in cup resulting in trying to brew tea with lukewarm water. One of the reasons for shitty tea whilst camping is the water cools so quick
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

The single most important part of a good cup of tea is the milk. If unpasturised straight from the cow it is a different drink...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Sweep wrote:What happens if the poor delicate leaves are scalded?

They release too much tannin and the tea is bitter.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

I was going to start a new thread but given there are 11 pages dedicated to the Trangia, here seems good enough!

My current MSR pot needs replacing. It's all very good - a single 2L pot, two bowls and two mugs which nest into each other. We like to cook food (as opposed to just boiling water) and twinned with a remote gas stove it does a reasonable job preparing meals of pasta/rice with chilli/bolognese out of a can. However it's not great for frying - too deep and despite being ceramic non stick I found things still got burnt on.

I'm in two minds about whether to replace it with another MSR pot + frying pan, or get a Trangia instead. I have a reasonable idea of the pros/cons of each but have some specific Q's about the Trangia:

The 27 series is advertised as being suitable for 2 people but the pots are only 1 litre. This is half the size of the one we have at the moment. Surely cooking for two hungry campers is going to overfill a single 1L pot?

I'm not keen (yet) on a meths stove so would get the gas conversion kit. Does anybody have experience with this, in particular reliability, simmering capability, etc.

Is there any space inside to nest plates/bowls/mugs?

Standard vs hard anodised vs non-stick - any recommendations? I think the best for me would be HA pots and a nonstick frying pan
meic

Post by meic »

As I said before.
The pans were called 1L pans in the blurb that I read, they are only 900cc and I wouldnt like to use them with 750cc in, 600cc is a reasonably full pot.
I think the kettle will remain at home, it is reasonably full at 450cc.

I am probably (OK certainly) a bit on the greedy side but these pots are challenged cooking for one.
Yma o Hyd
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I agree. The 27 is very tiddly, particularly the frying pan. It also seems way less flexible to me as i think both pots are pretty much the same size. If you want to do anything like a stir fry in the 27 I tend to think it would be a bit of a nightmare.
Sweep
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Thanks - that is exactly what I expected. It's not so much the weight of the 25 series which concerns me, but the volume. The existing pot lives in a drybag on my girlfriends pannier rack and I'm not sure if the 25 will fit in there.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bohrsatom wrote:Thanks - that is exactly what I expected. It's not so much the weight of the 25 series which concerns me, but the volume. .

Agree as well. We'll just have to lump it i suppose. I use the 27 for one. Maybe i'll try the minimalist 27 sometime. I have the kettle but don't use it camping, despite its cuteness** - i need a separate mini gas stove for vital espresso anyway so just boil tea water very quickly in a mini pot atop that.

** not wasted - i use it at home in the kitchen for boiling single cups of water on gas stove - am working towards integrating my camping and non camping cooking styles :)
Sweep
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

At the risk of seeming to blaspheme on a Trangia thread:

the optimus style clones place that store windshield inside pots are almost as big as a trangia 25 whilst packing smaller. The better Trangia burner and simmer ring would fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PC-ALUMINIUM-CAMPING-COOK-STOVE-SET-PAN-2-POTS-ALCOHOL-BURNER-TRAVEL-BUSHCRAFT-/271644504721?
Note the photo shows windshield upside down!!

syklist mentioned his findings on this board...
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

leftpoole wrote:http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/image/159931365
meaning what?
Sweep