Camping towel

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
horizon

Re: Camping towel

Post by horizon »

I try and avoid synthetic products and we have lots ol old thin (from wear) cotton towels around at home. Yes they do take longer to dry and I presume they are heavier so I'm not going to make any claim for them. But what I do notice is that it's possible (I think) to dry yourself with a wet towel (no, I didn't think so either). If you squeeze a wet towel, it emits water, so that is the amount of water it can hold even if wet. So a wet towel is capable of absorbing more water, in fact enough to remove the water that's on you, even if you are left a little damp.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

One thing I find that works well is using a flannel to wipe yourself down after you've had a shower, wringing it out as necessary. This removes most of the moisture, and you can then use a small (hand) towel to fully dry yourself.
paddler

Post by paddler »

JakobW wrote:One thing I find that works well is using a flannel to wipe yourself down after you've had a shower, wringing it out as necessary. This removes most of the moisture, and you can then use a small (hand) towel to fully dry yourself.

More or less what I do, except that I use an old micro fibre dish cloth from home and no towel. Less weight when I got moving then, although this was hiking on The Appalachian Trail rather than cycling and weight really mattered. Not so nice when it's cold though as you are damp for a bit longer.

Dave
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

JakobW wrote:One thing I find that works well is using a flannel to wipe yourself down after you've had a shower, wringing it out as necessary. This removes most of the moisture, and you can then use a small (hand) towel to fully dry yourself.

First ... wipe yourself down with your hand - like a squeegee to get rid of the surface droplets.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I use a Green Hermit UL towel - some sort of microfiber material. Folded it's about 3cmx5cmx1cm and it weighs all of 26g in its bag. (about 40x40cm open) I've previously used a similar Trek Mates towel but this is lighter and bigger.

It is very absorbent and dries the body very well - if it gets to the sodden state just wring it out and you're good to go again. After use, wring and it'll dry pretty quickly - as quick as 30 minutes in warm weather.

I know it won't suit everyone but where space and weight are important it's a solution that works.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

foxyrider wrote:I use a Green Hermit UL towel - some sort of microfiber material. Folded it's about 3cmx5cmx1cm and it weighs all of 26g in its bag. (about 40x40cm open) I've previously used a similar Trek Mates towel but this is lighter and bigger.

It is very absorbent and dries the body very well - if it gets to the sodden state just wring it out and you're good to go again. After use, wring and it'll dry pretty quickly - as quick as 30 minutes in warm weather.

I know it won't suit everyone but where space and weight are important it's a solution that works.

I use a Karrimor branded towel that is like that. Probably the same material. It is amazing how well it works for such a small bit of cloth. it makes you realise how rubbish normal full size towels are.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Valamo wrote:I sorry for bump....just my two cents.
here are different products - all marketed as 'microfibre towels'.

The Lifeventure ones are excellent but expensive - I use the XL one. I've also bought ones from eBay from Splaasssh https://womentake.com/best-gym-towel/ (Compact Ultra Absorbent Microfibre Towels 120x60cm) - they are slightly cheaper, but very similar material & properties.

Some camping shops sell a different kind of 'microfibre' towel, but instead of being soft they start off quite hard, and after use, they apparently soften. Didn't look very nice to use. Also, I have an observation, A couple of years back I walked from Vienna to Monaco through the Alps for 2 months carrying all my gear in a rucksack and a travel towel was obviously part of my kit for its weight and quick-drying features.

It is great for laying out in the sun, used as a pillow or used as an extra blanket when cold as other posters have noted. However, as a towel to dry oneself, it is truly awful and really not in the same league as a regular cotton towel. Within a week of my trek, I had bought a proper towel and dumped the microfibre one.

You can get really thin, lightweight cotton towels that are near as light yet much better than travel towels. I don't see them much but they usually come in a can and you need to soak them in water before using them.

I agree with a lot of that, I tried the original camp towels and have bought several over the years always returning to two items - the original army green towel and the shemagh. the shemagh has to be one of the most usefull things any type of traveller can take. the army has started issuing microfibre towels now which seem to work fine but they are the loop stitch proper towel variety and a reasonable size. nowhere near as usefull as the original though.

we used to pack bar towels in our webbing which are also small and very handy as they take some serious abuse. those multipack microfibre cleaning cloths are good value and tough enough for plenty of use. sometimes you don;t have enough water to need a towel in which case you need a massive flannel.

mind you I also have several pertex field towels from decades ago, like most travel towels you don't dry yourself with it you use them like blotting paper and you can watch it dry in seconds. added to a shemagh it makes it a waterproof head cover to go with a buffalo shirt.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

whats wrong with good old fashioned air drying? ideal in this weather.