Camping towel

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bretonbikes

Re: Camping towel

Post by bretonbikes »

I'm a great believer in muslin nappies - cheap as chips and especially if hate the feel of the camping towel jobbies. Just pop into mothercare and buy a pack. One will dry you nicely after a shower and they dry on a summer's day in about 10 minutes - obviously longer in less clement weather:-) I usually carry three on the 'rule of three' principle - http://www.bretonbikes.com/generalartic ... three.html which generally keeps me reasonably fragrant. If in cruddy weather you end up with them all wet they do wring out well and you can get yourself dry.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

i've used several over the years, 'swimming towels' that are like synthetic chamois, a tea towel like affair from Polaris but i've currently settled on a Trekmates micro fibre job.

Generally if i shower in the evening its pretty dry by morning to go in my bags, i sometimes wish it was a bit bigger but the size was my choice so its hardly a complaint. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
MadMalx

Post by MadMalx »

I've tried a variety also.

microfibre fluffy type - useless
sea to summit microfibre (£10 for small) - quite good
microfibre cloth for cleaning the car - just as good for about £3 from Lidl
tonupgilly

Post by tonupgilly »

I bought a microfibre towel some years ago and found it absolutely brilliant. At first I thought it was rubbish because it didn't seem to pick up any water, just spread it around - until I realised I was trying to use the fluffy side against my skin when I should have been using the flat side - bingo - dry in no time - water absorbed as if by kitchen roll. And the brilliant bit - the fluffy side is meant to wick the water away - so it only goes in one direction - hence the reason for it not drying the skin when used on that side - which also means, the towel itself is dry in no time at all. I was so impressed with it I bought another for my husband. I will be taking both on our cycling trips again this summer.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

tonupgilly wrote:I bought a microfibre towel some years ago and found it absolutely brilliant. At first I thought it was rubbish because it didn't seem to pick up any water, just spread it around - until I realised I was trying to use the fluffy side against my skin when I should have been using the flat side - bingo - dry in no time - water absorbed as if by kitchen roll. And the brilliant bit - the fluffy side is meant to wick the water away - so it only goes in one direction - hence the reason for it not drying the skin when used on that side - which also means, the towel itself is dry in no time at all. I was so impressed with it I bought another for my husband. I will be taking both on our cycling trips again this summer.

Would that be two towels or one husband and a towel :?
tonupgilly

Post by tonupgilly »

Lol -- I'll be taking all three
tripwire

Post by tripwire »

kuba wrote:I've used a couple of different microfiber towels in the past. This one is my favorite:

http://www.webtogs.co.uk/MSR_Packtowl_U ... aliteLarge

That's my favourite too. I used to use one of the lifeventure microfibre towels, but found it really had to be hung up in the sun to dry out. After a few days of being packed damp it started to smell pretty unpleasant too.

The MSR packtowl is more compact and I find it dries out overnight just by hanging it up inside the tent porch.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Car wash sponges are pretty good and weigh nothing. My army mate swears by a chamois leather. Just squeeze it out and done. Mind you he washes stood up in a washing up bowl in camp. :)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Vileda doa super absorbent spounge cloth a bit like chamois . I've taken these in te past when either space or weight is an issue
NUKe

Post by RickH »

Just back from 8 nights camping (Lowestoft to St David's) in mixed weather conditions. I used one of these microfibre towels. Dried myself after a shower every night with it plus a couple of mopping ups of a little wet from inside the tent (mainly because it had to be packed sopping wet the morning before) to keep it dry inside before putting out bedding. I dried it by hanging it out when I could then laying it out over my sleeping bag overnight & it was dry each morning (no problems with a damp sleeping bag either).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Valamo

Post by Valamo »

I sorry for bump....just my two cents.
here are different products - all marketed as 'microfibre towels'.

The Lifeventure ones are excellent but expensive - I use the XL one. I've also bought ones from eBay from Splaasssh https://womentake.com/best-gym-towel/ (Compact Ultra Absorbent Microfibre Towels 120x60cm) - they are slightly cheaper, but very similar material & properties.

Some camping shops sell a different kind of 'microfibre' towel, but instead of being soft they start off quite hard, and after use, they apparently soften. Didn't look very nice to use. Also, I have an observation, A couple of years back I walked from Vienna to Monaco through the Alps for 2 months carrying all my gear in a rucksack and a travel towel was obviously part of my kit for its weight and quick-drying features.

It is great for laying out in the sun, used as a pillow or used as an extra blanket when cold as other posters have noted. However, as a towel to dry oneself, it is truly awful and really not in the same league as a regular cotton towel. Within a week of my trek, I had bought a proper towel and dumped the microfibre one.

You can get really thin, lightweight cotton towels that are near as light yet much better than travel towels. I don't see them much but they usually come in a can and you need to soak them in water before using them.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Valamo wrote:You can get really thin, lightweight cotton towels that are near as light yet much better than travel towels.

For Some Values of "Better".

Big fluffy cotton towels work excellently by absorbing a great deal of water. Small thin cotton towels don't have the capacity to absorb much, and once they have their fill they'll take an age to dry out before which time they're over-sized damp cloths. The main advantage of a microfibre towel is it'll dry out much quicker than a cotton one, so you can use it again more readily.

Eagle Creek do some that are textured like a traditional loop-stitch towel but made of microfibre. They're heavier and bulkier than a typical travel towel but dry out a wet body more effectively, and dry out faster than a cotton towel. A good compromise if you're drying from a full wetting and it's not warm enough to just stand around getting dry.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

If you want to stay with natural fibres, linen travel towels are supposed to work well. I've been meaning to pick one up to give it a try - a mate swears by them for his gym bag.
dinger207

Post by dinger207 »

Have tried micro fibre towels previously, but better by far are "Hammam" towels, various sizes but very absorbent and dry quickly.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I use LifeVenture trek towels (or similar products from other manufacturers) - soft smooth microfibre affairs with a feel not dissimilar to suede. I find them excellent and they are what I use all the time at home too - I am prone to flare-ups of eczema and these smooth towels don't exacerbate the condition like 'abrasive' traditional towels do. They certainly get me dry but I do find I need a large one - the smaller ones get overloaded with moisture too quickly.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)