camping chair hunt

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bikes4two

camping chair hunt

Post by bikes4two »

I'm looking for a camping chair that I can take on my trips. I've tried different ones that utilise your sleeping mat (Thermarest, Exped) but I don't want that type. Decathlon advertise the sort shown in the picture, but they never seem to be in stock, but I do fancy something like that though (despite the weight and size).

Do any of you know where I might get something like this please?
Attachments
chair.jpg
chair.jpg (19.85 KiB) Viewed 8392 times
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
yakdiver

Re: camping chair hunt

Post by yakdiver »

sorry I can't help you, but I have one just like that and have been asked many times where I got it from.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I have on of these on order from Ultralight Outdoor Gear but they are not sure when they will be here.
http://www.helinox.com.au/pages/helinox-chair-one.asp
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Yakdriver- I'll let you know if I get one

Bikepacker - that chair is the bees knees albeit pricey at nearly £60 (+ P&P?) especially as I'll need two!
Attachments
Helinox One.jpg
Helinox One.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 8384 times
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

There are some little luxuries that one has to have irrespective of cost. :D :D
jags

Post by jags »

I want one of them yes most definitely :wink:

any idea bikepacker when there are available.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have one, just like the one in the OP.

It came from Bakers and Larners of Holt, Norfolk, a couple of holidays ago. I've checked their www and it's not listed.

The swing label is still on mine and it's a Hi Gear Low Chair FC250NV

I've done a bit of a google and I cannot find anything about it or like it. Back to square one unless you happen to be using the M62 anytime soon, in which case you can have it for the £18-99 shown on the price ticket. It is unused.

The ticket even shows the spec:

height = 67 cms
width = 46 cms
wt = 2 kilos. (FWIW)
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

jags wrote:I want one of them yes most definitely :wink:

any idea bikepacker when there are available.

Ultralight Backpacking say they will email me as soon as they have them. One can only assume they are on the high seas on route from Aussie land.
RickH

Post by RickH »

A quick lateral think - what about fishing chairs they often seem to have low folding chairs?

I've no idea on weights, etc. - this doesn't look too dissimilar to your original pic.

You might need to go and look at some to see if what, if anything, is suitable.

Rick
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Thanks for all your replies. THIRDCRANK - regretably I'm a long way from the M62 otherwise I'd be there with my shekels.

The Helinox is a nice option - will have to re-mortgage though :P

The fisherman's chairs - yes, I'd explored that one but as yet I've not found one compact or light enough.

My target weight is no more than 1.5Kg per chair (I need two for our tandem trips) - I'm hoping to get hold of the Decathlon one shown in the OP and if possible make it even lighter by substituting some of the steel tubing for aluminium or even titanium (but I don't know if the latter is a cost effective option nor at this stage, where I'd even get my hands on some).

Should I strike lucky with Decathlon or find something similar, I'll certainly update this thread as I suspect such an item could prove useful to a number of members.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You prompted me to have a look, and I found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Woodsma ... B0047T69MI Looks ok, very light, Its very light at 1.3kg. There is a video of it folding at Simply Hike. I think it will go on top of my rack with panniers below and tent above. The 16cm thickness is only at one end, I don't think its a problem. I have ordered one and will report back.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 8 Apr 2012, 8:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
RickH

Post by RickH »

al_yrpal wrote:You prompted me to have a look, and I found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Woodsma ... B0047T69MI Looks ok, very light, I think its less than a kilo and very light. There is a video of it folding at Simply Hike. I think it will go on top of my rack with panniers below and tent above.

Al

Unless it is a misprint the 16cm for the smallest of the folded dimensions seems a bit on the large side! :?

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
bob simpson

Post by bob simpson »

I have just bought a Walkstool for my next and although it was expensive it is compact, light and very comportable.

Bob
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Al, - The Woodsman looks more in my price range - I look forward to your review

Bob - nice piece of kit. Coleman do the Exponent Stool at a cheaper price but it's not in the same class as the Walkstool though.

Talking of 'class' the Kermit Chair (made for motor cyclists) is lovely but (a) heavy and (b) is 139 USD plus shipping. The Stronglight is light weight but bulky and pricey, but looks really comfortable.

If I could find a UK outlet for the Alite Monarch butterfly chair (search you tube for videos), I'd give that serious consideration at 0.59Kg - anyone know of a UK outlet?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If you are looking at stools, my camp stool review is here. http://www.bikepacker.co.uk/stool%20review.htm