camping chair hunt

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
willem jongman

Re: camping chair hunt

Post by willem jongman »

I have a 280 gram Haglofs folding tripod stool (made from Easton tubes). It is better than nothing, and it is very light as stools go. However, increasingly I find I leave it at home, to save more weight and volume. I now mostly use a 30 gram piece of folding closed cell foam against the damp and wet soil. Fine with me.
Willem
slowpeddler

Post by slowpeddler »

I'm a solo camper and I swear by one of these. (Ergolife Stol)
They are very, very comfortable. It fits in my Carradura saddlebag

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ERGOLIFE-Stol-p ... 329&sr=8-1

John
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I said I would report back on the Coleman Woodman chair. It looked good but the back doesn't work! When you sit on it you cannot actually lean back, the back is too far away so its useless. I am returning it to Amazon.

For the time being I will stick to my Gelert Relax folding stool. It's steel and feels much firmer than the Gelert, its the same weight, 1.2kg and being narrower is easier to carry. If I was younger and more flexible I would go for one of those chairs highlighted in the previous post.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

My Helinox Chair arrived today. It feels really comfy. Ultralight Outdoor Gear now have them in stock. http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... r_one.html
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
clandyfield

Post by clandyfield »

Just to add my 5'pworth.....

We used the alu folding stools on our last trip in France.
Chair opt.jpg

2x fitted on top of panniers and were ready for use in 10secs flat at coffee stops.

In situ opt.jpg

I found that the seat height was just right - not too high/low and the absence of a back rest wasn't a problem (and I suffer from back problems!)
Weight wasn't a problem - I got the wife to carry them; one of my better ideas. :twisted:

Andy
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I'm the OP of this thread-thanks very much to all contributions and there are some great solutions there. I particularly like the Ergolife Stol and the Helinox Chair One.

It's funny how things come around but in a cycle-camp last week I took my Thermarest Trekker Chair (I have two of these but have moved over to Exped Synmats which don't fit too well in the Trekker chair). Anyway, I tried the Trekker chair without inserting any mat into it and whilst it was floppy and fiddly to sit into, once the butt was parked, it was reasonably comfortable. It seems to me the I could adapt the Trekker Chair to take slats like those used in the Ergolife Stol, or something similar to make the Trekker Chair a little more rigid.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Those slats in the ERGO look just like those used in folding camping tables, so may not be too difficult to find.
stephen_

Post by stephen_ »

Not sure if you managed to find a chair but I'm debating taking one of these, 480g and less than £5.
It looks like a kids chair but is actually fine for adults..

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/micro-chair-green--p152288
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

stephen_ wrote:Not sure if you managed to find a chair but I'm debating taking one of these, 480g and less than £5.
It looks like a kids chair but is actually fine for adults..

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/micro-chair-green--p152288

That looks exactly like the Coleman chair I sent back. I found you cannot use the backrest. I would try actually sitting in one before you buy it.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
romany123

Post by romany123 »

Got a couple of Helinox chairs earlier this week and I must admit they are brilliant (if a bit pricey) weighing in at two pounds each, I can live with that.We have a terra nova Voyger XL tent and we can sit on the chairs inside with it closed up, which is a bonus. My other half is 5'11" and it was no problem. I think just for the comfort factor the extra weight is well worth it. They also seem to be very well made, which of course given the price, should be.
Regards

David
Cunobelin

camping chair hunt

Post by Cunobelin »

I don't have a problem.......

Touring on a recumbent trike makes seating sooooooooo. Easy
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you use a Neoair mat and don't get on with the regular Thermarest chair kits, this is a lighter option (110g)
(clickable)
Last edited by andrew_s on 4 Jul 2016, 8:14pm, edited 2 times in total.
RickH

Post by RickH »

andrew_s wrote:If you use a Neoair mat and don't get on with the regular Thermarest chair kits, this is a lighter option (110g)
(clickable)

If you are using a NeoAir - you could always use it rolled up, partially inflated inside a Pump Sack - only 77g & you can use it to inflate the NeoAir as well. A Pump Sack will also fit inside the NeoAir's bag.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cunobelin wrote:Touring on a recumbent trike makes seating sooooooooo. Easy

Whilst that is good to sit on whilst gossiping or reading a book, where do you put your stove so you can sit whilst cooking?