andrew_s

Re: camping chair hunt

Postby andrew_s » 8 Jul 2014, 1:17am

Helinox now also make the Ground Chair (560g):

and similar chairs are also available from Alite designs

Mantis: Image
Monarch:Image
Mayfly:Image
Last edited by andrew_s on 4 Jul 2016, 8:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

drossall

Postby drossall » 8 Jul 2014, 11:38pm

I got a Helinox Chair One as a (very generous) Christmas present, and it's excellent.

slowpeddler

Postby slowpeddler » 10 Jul 2014, 11:14am

I use the ergolife chair. It wraps around my tent in the rackpack and is perfect for sitting in the porch or anywhere.

It really is the most comfortable camp chair I've ever used. I have a bad back but this solves all my camp problems

http://www.ergolife.co.uk/home/product/1

John

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 10 Jul 2014, 12:01pm

slowpeddler wrote:I use the ergolife chair. It wraps around my tent in the rackpack and is perfect for sitting in the porch or anywhere.

It really is the most comfortable camp chair I've ever used. I have a bad back but this solves all my camp problems

http://www.ergolife.co.uk/home/product/1

John

I got a chair that is a similar idea from Go Outdoors for a tenner. Its padded and a bit stiffer. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/anywhere-ch ... e--p152359 It has a carrying strap and a pocket on it.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 11 Jul 2014, 9:19am

I've just ordered one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1497.l2649
Seems to be virtually identical to a Helinox but a fraction of the price.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 16 Jul 2014, 7:12am

pedalsheep wrote:I've just ordered one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1497.l2649
Seems to be virtually identical to a Helinox but a fraction of the price.

Hi Pedalsheep, do let us know what you think of your purchase - the eBay one looks a really good buy. I have Helinox chairs and if yours comes up to par, you'll be well pleased (although Helinox might not be :D )
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 16 Jul 2014, 9:35am

The Seaflo ultralight Helinox copy chair arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it. I sat in the garden reading in it for about an hour and it was extremely comfortable. I don't know if its as strongly built as the Helinox but it looks fine to me and is quite sturdy. Complete with bag it weighs 900g on my kitchen scales.
As bikes4two said, I'm very happy tho Helinox may not be! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

Cheltourer

Postby Cheltourer » 16 Jul 2014, 9:32pm

Hello,

Having just returned from a touring holiday, I recommend Robens "Geographic Stool" made from duralumin 7075. it folds up neatly and took my 81kg weight. I purchased my from Cotswold Outdoors in May for £18, else where you may find it cheaper.

Cheers

ikenbikeit

Postby ikenbikeit » 20 Jul 2014, 10:28pm

Cheltourer

The problem with the Robens stool was I could not made contact with the seat as it was too far down , except when I fell after a 10 second hover -- backwards ---in the middle of Blacks in Liverpool.
I plumped for the Helinox copy online.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Jul 2014, 6:27pm

Maplin had some light alloy stools for aovut £10 a short time ago. A bit bulky but very light if u use a trailer. Also meant as a tiny steps so will bear a lot of weight

bikes4two

Postby bikes4two » 27 Jul 2014, 5:35pm

pedalsheep wrote:The Seaflo ultralight Helinox copy chair arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it. I sat in the garden reading in it for about an hour and it was extremely comfortable. I don't know if its as strongly built as the Helinox but it looks fine to me and is quite sturdy. Complete with bag it weighs 900g on my kitchen scales.

I have two Helinox chairs (both excellent quality and very comfortable) and my friend bought the Seaflo copy last week. Today we put our chairs side by side and they are virtually identical in construction, material used, comfort and weight. Mrs B4t says there are minor differences in some of the stitching detail that might (repeat MIGHT) make a difference to longevity in the long term.

I weighed the two chairs - the Seaflo came in 60gms lighter (820gms vs 880gms) and the Helinox original came in at £60 heavier :roll:

If you are looking for a light, comfy char, then go for the Seaflo, currently on eBay for £27 (just search eBay on Helinox and the Seaflo comes up - for now that is, before Helinox complain or take other action).
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey

MrsHJ

Postby MrsHJ » 28 Jul 2014, 10:16pm

bikes4two wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:The Seaflo ultralight Helinox copy chair arrived yesterday and so far I am very pleased with it. I sat in the garden reading in it for about an hour and it was extremely comfortable. I don't know if its as strongly built as the Helinox but it looks fine to me and is quite sturdy. Complete with bag it weighs 900g on my kitchen scales.

I have two Helinox chairs (both excellent quality and very comfortable) and my friend bought the Seaflo copy last week. Today we put our chairs side by side and they are virtually identical in construction, material used, comfort and weight. Mrs B4t says there are minor differences in some of the stitching detail that might (repeat MIGHT) make a difference to longevity in the long term.

I weighed the two chairs - the Seaflo came in 60gms lighter (820gms vs 880gms) and the Helinox original came in at £60 heavier :roll:

If you are looking for a light, comfy char, then go for the Seaflo, currently on eBay for £27 (just search eBay on Helinox and the Seaflo comes up - for now that is, before Helinox complain or take other action).

NOT looking, so tempting to buy more kit but I don't need it and the kids will just swipe it anyway!

EDIT they do have the alite ones on display in the Picadilly cotswold outdoors shop ( no doubt in other too) if anyone wants to try them. I sank into one of the low ones quite happily but was a bit more challenged extracting myself. Lots nicer than sitting on the ground/or sitting on and puncturing your thermarest though!

Sooper8

Postby Sooper8 » 1 Aug 2014, 4:52pm

Wow- these jumped up in price!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1423.l2649
Presume they got decimal point in wrong place?
Everything you love,everything meaningful with depth & history,all passionate authentic experiences will be appropriated,mishandled,watered down,cheapened, repackaged,marketed & sold to the people you hate
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sooper8cycling

RickH

Postby RickH » 1 Aug 2014, 6:46pm

Sooper8 wrote:Wow- these jumped up in price!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151345945835? ... 1423.l2649
Presume they got decimal point in wrong place?

Probably not - I have heard that, rather than having to take down & re-list an item when the seller has run out, folk will sometimes put a silly price on it while they await fresh stock. If anyone is foolish enough to buy it at that price then it is worth their while sourcing one elsewhere.

Rick.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 1 Aug 2014, 10:20pm