Wild camping in Corfu?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Helen

Wild camping in Corfu?

Post by Helen »

Yes, I know it's supposedly illegal to camp wild in Greece, but has anyone dossed in Corfu? I have a Goretex bivvy bag, and wonder if I'll be able to use my old trick of bedding down on beach-bar decking, or even under the awning of a restaurant that's closed for the night (or not yet open for the season?)

I just fancy spending a couple of days there - is much going on for St George's Day? - before ferrying over to Albania etc.
LowPlainsDrifter

Re: Wild camping in Corfu?

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

Not Corfu, but in Rhodes (and not recently) but I dossed (dossbag in a plastic bag if it rained) for a month.
Slept in all sorts of places hidden away. The usual trick, suss a good spot out and return when nayone is around.
Only trouble I had was getting eaten alive by mozzies.
It was towards the end of the season though so getting quiet and I dont think I ever saw a cop in the month. I stayed away from town centres and clung to the coast as I was on foot, not cycle,- which would have been better!
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
psmiffy

Re: Wild camping in Corfu?

Post by psmiffy »

Ditto - not done Corfu - but I toured around the northern half of Greece - early season one year - wild camped 50% of the time - avec tent most of the time - olive groves ended up being my place of choice - on the occasions that I was forced to camp in plain sight nobody bothered me.