Very Cheap Terra Nova Laser Comp at F&T

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
bluemint

Re: Very Cheap Terra Nova Laser Comp at F&T

Postby bluemint » 12 May 2012, 12:45am

Some good mods to consider, I'll refrain from taking sharp implements to it for now though. The lack of a roof loop is a little annoying, I would've taken the hit it terms of weight for that.

I've had it up in the garden a couple of times, today in a bit of a gusty wind and it seems easy to pitch quickly, but for a bit of fiddling with the pole cover. All-in-one pitching is a luxury I've missed from other tents I've had. I can't wait to get it in action.

mercurykev

Postby mercurykev » 12 May 2012, 10:34am

phil parker wrote:Interesting review - it would seem that tents are like bicycles in the number you need = n + 1.

Tell me about it, those are just my one man tents. I've also got a Nallo 2 GT, a Keron 3 GT and a Spacepacker kicking about the house.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 12 May 2012, 4:44pm

phil parker wrote:
Interesting review - it would seem that tents are like bicycles in the number you need = n + 1.

Tell me about it, those are just my one man tents. I've also got a Nallo 2 GT, a Keron 3 GT and a Spacepacker kicking about the house.

Stoves and sleeping bags also suffer from this syndrome!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

phil parker

Postby phil parker » 12 May 2012, 8:18pm

I had a clear out of sleeping bags about 7 years ago and sold about six, all down bags and very 'experienced' bags at that and some friends got real bargains.

Yes, totally agree; I've behaved myself with stoves recently, but just added an MSR kettle to my 'pot collection' !

irc

Postby irc » 22 May 2012, 5:24pm

I've had my tent up and down a couple of times. Very impressive space for the weight. Definately my number one pick where I'll be carrying it on my back. With two extra guys at each end it seems fairly stable.

Downsides? Compared to my other tent it is more of a faff to pitch and needs more good pegs for a decent pitch. The other point for day after days use is that because the inner and flysheet are attached drying out condensation may be harder.

My other one man tent an Argos Pro Action One is fairly stable with just one peg at either end. Handy when pitching in sandy/gravel conditions. Without any need to thread poles it is also faster. I can pitch it in about two or three minutes in near darkness. It is well proven in windyy and wet conditions and as it goes up inner first the flysheet is seperate and easy to dry during a stop on a day's ride.

Right now if I was going a long bike tour I'd pick the Argos but the Laser is a nice option for lightweight weekend tours or backpacking. What I would really like is to get a Sierra Designs Lightyear - the design Argos ripped off. Same advantages but a pound or so lighter presumably due to lighter weight fabrics.

P1010140_camp.jpg
Argos Pro Action 1 on tour.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

bluemint

Postby bluemint » 22 May 2012, 11:00pm

I've just had 3 nights in derbyshire in the laser and it's a dream compared to the old Gelert solo, which my brother had to save him carrying a 5kg Vango. He wasn't impressed by the lack of space but I managed to get most of his stuff in my porch area.

Easy to pitch and to pack and enough room inside for me, my stuff and for me to do whatever I need to do. I even tested the pole's flexibility by falling on it in the night, forming a worrying S-shape which resulted in a slightly bent section. A little gentle bending got it back to looking a bit more normal.

It's by far the best tent I've ever had, but then all I've ever had is rubbish tents.