Campsite Reviews (index)

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
andrew_s

Re: Campsite Reviews (index)

Post by andrew_s »

This was a quote of the Europe index post.

Can a moderator delete this please
Last edited by andrew_s on 13 Apr 2017, 5:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mercalia wrote:The Guardians best camp sites in Fance 2017

These are selections from Cool Camping.
I've added a link to the Cool Camping website to that for ukcampsites.co.uk on the front index post, and also added the general French Camping Municipal website to the French campsites section.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Acombe Grange, York

http://www.acombgrange.co.uk/

is a small caravan/tent campsite sw edge of York - enough space for about 5-6 camper vans/caravans and probably 10 or so tents. The site is surrounded by trees and can get a bit windy. Being on the edge of York it suffers from the farmers poo on the fields when the wind blows - the whole area does. The ground is flat and grassed but look out for the rabbit droppings as there are quite a few there. I think the site maybe a bit small for tents and caravans as the accompanying cars - as they come along a gravel track that separates the two areas - so maybe avoid peak times or week ends

There are 2 loos with supplied loo paper, soap and towels. One is also a full blown sink for washing up. There is a shower. Both were very clean when I visited in end June 2017. There is a local Sainsburys and Coop very close along Ridgeway and Beckfield Lane. Also opposite the Coop store are 3 takeaways - a chinese, a tandoori and piza. The chinese prices seemed rather high compared to London but eg the Chicken fried rice got a great deal of chicken - always ask for the conventional alloy contrainers other wise you will get the plastic ones which seemed smaller. There is a McDonalds by going up Beckfield Lane then along Boroughbridge Rd, going west - I went there a few times and the standard was high

I am not sure how long the tent camping will be offered as I think i saw a notice for planning permission on that area - the Grange also has a holiday let and also premises for an accountant!

The site is about 2 miles from the centre of York and close to the Race track across Knobs Moor from down Green Lane in Acombe - a common land where cattle graze since medieval times ( the land was given to the commoners by a Knight ) - that route is very pleasnt and is flat
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Tresseck campsite, at Hoarwithy, by the next bridge over the Wye north of Ross.
The campsite is a riverside section of field, down a 200m track at the side of the New Harp Inn.

It's basic :- taps, portaloos, and grass
Pitch up and pay when the man comes round, £7 pppn
Tents only; no caravans or campervans
Fires allowed in the pre-exising fire pits; the owner sells wood.
Small shop in the pub (when it's open)
bikerta

Post by bikerta »

Dol-Llys Farms at Llanidloes https://dolllyscaravancampsite.co.uk/tariff/

Stayed here last year when doing Lon Las Cymru. Excellent site. You can pitch right by river, out in open or some secluded little spots. I was right on the river bank and suprisingly no midges. Price £7.50 and includes a campers kitchen with kettle, microwave and toaster. Plenty of room to sit at table and charge phone etc. Showers are large wet room style and free use of the washing machine. Short, flat ride into Llanidloes for food and pubs.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The Bridge Inn. Michaelchurch Escley (SO318340)
http://www.thebridgeinnmichaelchurch.co ... g-caravans

Parking spaces for maybe a dozen caravans/camper vans in a pub car park extension
2 Yurts, and the possibility of small (Akto-sized) tents on a shelf above the car park and below the yurts if you can't take the walk from the field.
The main tent camping is at the bottom of the field across the stream from the car park, accessed over a footbridge and stile at the road side of the pub, or a field gate back out on the main (such as it is) road 100 m or so south of the end of the lane to the pub. Plenty of flat space, and enough vegetation along the stream to make it quite secluded.
Normal facilities in a block between the pub and the camper van parking.
Beer OK, nice cider
Last edited by andrew_s on 11 Aug 2017, 7:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Foxholes Castle, Bishops Castle (SO324897)
http://www.foxholes-castle.co.uk/

Fairly sizeable fields, above the house for tents, below for caravans
The tent fields do have reasonable flat areas, but you may end up on a slope if it's busy.
Decent facilities by the house, far enough to be worth riding if you are at the far end like I was.
Footpath across the fields from the south end of the bigger tent field into Bishops Castle, maybe half a mile
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Port Mor campsite, Port Charlotte, Islay grid ref NR247576
http://islandofislay.co.uk/campsite.php

£9 pppn
There's a large, gently sloping tent area, well grassed, but a lot of it was wet underfoot when I was there. Exposed to whatever wind there is.
Hard standing for campervans etc was separate, round the edge of the football pitch.
Good toilet/shower block, with a laundry area.
At the other end of the block there's a "bistro", open 0830 for breakfast to about 2100.

About half a mile into Port Charlotte, where there's 2 hotels, a post office/shop, a restaurant (seafood, mostly) and a youth hostel
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Glen Rosa campsite, near Brodick, Arran
grid ref NS001376

07985 566004

Basic riverside campsite about a mile outside Brodick
Tent only, £5 pppn
Pitch up & pay the man when he comes round, or post a fiver in the letterbox of the small roadside building if he misses you.
Toilet/wash block, but no showers.
Parts of the field will get pretty wet if there's heavy rain.
It's fairly sheltered so midges can be a problem. There are number of fire pits scattered around, and if you camp by one, you can try smoking out the midges. Don't build fires in new places.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

London Newham - Debden House

I have never been there just some one else posted it as a reply to some one finding it hard to get cheap accomodation in London

the few pictures look nice

"Debden House Centre, owned by the London Borough of Newham, is located in the heart of Epping Forest. The property was formally a farm but today provides high quality educational and leisure activities within the house and grounds.

Debden House Conference Centre provides premium facilities for meetings, conferences, exhibitions and education.

Debden House Campsite is over 50 acres and has attracted thousands of visitors since its opening in 1947. The campsite has 375 pitches available for hire including 60 pitches with electric hook-up."

http://www.debdenhouse.com/index.html

http://www.debdenhouse.com/campsite-prices.html

one of the few camp sites in North London in London?
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

A couple I know have opened up a campsite only 400 yards off Sustrans route 45 ideal for E2Eers passing through South Worcestershire. As yet they do not have a website and for this year there will only be a water tape and toilet (other facilities are planned) but the pitching area is lovely grass and flat. Details are:

Tony and Lavinia

Hill View Country Park
Birch Lane
Severn Stoke
WR8 9DN

email: awilhar51@aol.com
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Slowroad wrote:Low Farm Park, Folkington, Lincolnshire. http://www.lowfarmpark.co.uk/
Straightforward site in very pretty village. Lovely lanes in all directions, undulating arable farmland, lots of old churches. Site has toilets, showers and two washing-up sinks, all nice and clean. There is a field with mainly caravans and large tents, and a field with an orchard area for smaller tents.

Agree with that but the village is called Folkingham - pronounced Fokkingham.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

bikerta wrote:Dol-Llys Farms at Llanidloes https://dolllyscaravancampsite.co.uk/tariff/

Stayed here last year when doing Lon Las Cymru. Excellent site. You can pitch right by river, out in open or some secluded little spots. I was right on the river bank and suprisingly no midges. Price £7.50 and includes a campers kitchen with kettle, microwave and toaster. Plenty of room to sit at table and charge phone etc. Showers are large wet room style and free use of the washing machine. Short, flat ride into Llanidloes for food and pubs.

I stayed here 21-22 June 2018 based partly on this review. I booked and paid for for 4 nights but legged it after 2. Whilst I agree with what Bikerta wrote, I did not get much sleep on Friday night because of a music event at the rugby club just across the river. The BOOM BOOM BOOM type music went on until 1am and started again at 5.30 am (more quietly) so it might be worthwhile asking the owners if a similar event is scheduled before you book. Also the ground was very hard and stony where I pitched next to the river and I needed a hammer to get my pegs in. Without the racket, it would be a nice site.
robing

Post by robing »

rotavator wrote:
bikerta wrote:Dol-Llys Farms at Llanidloes https://dolllyscaravancampsite.co.uk/tariff/

I stayed here 21-22 June 2018 based partly on this review. I booked and paid for for 4 nights but legged it after 2. Whilst I agree with what Bikerta wrote, I did not get much sleep on Friday night because of a music event at the rugby club just across the river. The BOOM BOOM BOOM type music went on until 1am and started again at 5.30 am (more quietly) so it might be worthwhile asking the owners if a similar event is scheduled before you book. Also the ground was very hard and stony where I pitched next to the river and I needed a hammer to get my pegs in. Without the racket, it would be a nice site.

I stayed here on Lon Las Cymru in May and I loved it. The owner is very friendly and laid back. He offered to run me in to town, but as has been said it's only a mile and flat. There were quite a few chavvy families down by the river so I avoided them and pitched right up near the shower next to the field of rams who were much nicer neighbours :D

I also really liked the campsite at Three Cocks near Hay on Wye. Again, very friendly laid back guy. I was the only one there! It is next to a main road but I didn't hear much noise after 10. Plus traffic noise doesn't bother me that much, noisy people much worse.