Post by mercalia »

Laleham Camping Club site
laleham Park Thameside
Middlesex,TW18 1SS
01932 564149
sspavins@aol.com
nr Staines, Surrey(London)

http://www.lalehamcampingclub.co.uk/

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/preview?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=uk&cid=18295512713615623254&q=lalehamcampingclub&ei=QBmnU-PQIYbY7AatqoDgDQ&ved=0CBkQtQMwAA&source=newuser-ws

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.40019,-0.490465,466m/data=!3m1!1e3

I came across this campsite as I wandering around the area. Is almost on the side of the Thames & is a nice grassy flat site. Is popular with small campers, large Wendy house and caravans. They seemed to be nicely separated, not too close. Seems like there is a seasonal subscription option. Kids are welcome and there is nice central kids play area. The small tents seemed to be put on one side in a corner. There are car parks nearby. Not sure if you have to pay for these. The rates as of 2014 seems good for such a central location - £12/night/person or £8/night/person if 2 nights or more. Included in the price I was told are the loos and showers but not the washing machines. No facilities for locking bikes that I could see. ( by the way I was talking to some anglers at the river side and they said that some times people camp on the verge next to the water - as they do with their huts - for free... this area is nice and flat. grassy and prone to flooding as the notice says - in which case also the camp site. The only bylaw prohibition I could find was no barbies -told a 1000 times allover the place. you can see the area I am referring to on the ariel map above. I was told the police do keep an eye on the car park but never interfere with the anglers at night... :wink: ) If I didnt live so close, this is a place I would be happy to stay at.
MrsHJ

Re: Campsite Reviews (index)

Post by MrsHJ »

A quick run down on the campsites we used along the Nantes Brest Canal which is also part of Eurovelo 1 from 14 to 22 August.

The opinions are my own and inevitably reflect busyness/ mood of reception on the day and probably the weather. None of the campsites was terrible, I'd use them all again if necessary but some we preferred to others. On our first night in Redon on arriving by train we stayed at the Hotel le France which is nothing special but adequate,central and next to the canal.

prices ranged from 10 euros to 24 euros for us which is 2 adults, an 8 and a 10 year old, two small tents and the velos. Typical price about 13/14 euros. Comments re difficulty of access are based on the response of the 8 year old, there is nothing to be concerned about for adults campers who will probably cover the same route in 2-3 days.

1. St Congard ( East of Maelstroit). Small municipal, adjacent to the canal, well set up, super clean, mature campers with caravans all in bed by 9pm, very quiet. Central play area for the kids, individual emplacements separated by hedges. Ratio of facilities to campers very good as only 3 lots of non caravan campers. Bar in the village with depot de pain but no real shopping. Lovely cycle shop in the village. The village to the east, St Martin sur Oust had a nice little supermarket and a campsite and more eating places.

2. Les Cerisiers, 2km east of Josselin. Private, facilities a bit meh and ratio of facilities to campers not high but washing machine and dryer. Open field camping in woody area, more relaxed and younger crowd. A number of fixed cabin type options. Short but steep climb from the canal (well signposted). No shops in the very quiet hamlet although the bar did snacks and ice creams. 5 -10 minute cycle to Josselin for shops and restaurants but J has no supermarket in the town, it is a little to the North.

3. Rohan. Municipal site adjacent to the canal and 1 minute walk from the little supermarket, boulangerie etc. Facilities were nice and clean and with a reasonable ratio of loos and showers to campers. Many cycle campers, super smelly ladies loos that seemed to me to be a drainage issue. Washing machine in the laundry room. Open area with trees. Mixed ages and people. Very quiet town but very noisy late night revelling and teen type motorbike revving activities somewhere close to the campsite.

4. Pontivy. Municipal site adjacent to the canal, slightly longer walk into town as it's a larger place. Cycle campers were clearly stretching the facilities here and were asked to camp in a little strip of land with trees behind the main campsite and next to the town football pitches. Not enough loos (2 male and 2 female) and showers really compared to the number of campers but a decent quality and a really valiant effort being made to keep them clean. There were probably 25 cycle camping tents on the night we stayed here, including an organised group. Plenty of shops and restaurants about 10 minutes walk away although on a quiet Sunday the town didn't really grab us.

5. Mur de Bretagne. Blimey, steep haul from the canal up to the campsite Point de Vue which is next to a large lake. Once you've made it over the hill turn left at the t junction instead of right into town. Private campsite with pricey washing machine and dryer but not much in the way of food except ice creams and sweets. Beach is adjacent to the site. Largish site with plenty of facilities which were in reasonable but nothing special condition. Open, tree areas with intermittent hedges. Quite a lot of organised kids holiday camps from the look or it.fair number of cycle campers. Shopping is five to ten minutes cycle, stick to the cycle path signed "centre ville" which takes you almost exactly to a nice supermarket and avoids most of the climbing to the top of town. The supermarket is one more street to the west from the old railway station you arrive at on the bike path. Mixed crowd camping with a younger element using the public BBQ facilities.

6. Gouarec. This was the most expensive site we stayed at and absolutely rammed with cyclists and tandems (mostly British). It was a tandem festival and this put a fair bit of pressure on the facilities which put them at the poorer end of the scale we stayed at. It felt like time for a new shower section as the walls were very dated and grubby paintwork especially given the relatively high price of the site. It was nice seeing so many other cyclists but we probably prefer a quieter site with fewer English. We hadn't intended to stop here but a review of the map suggested the next day would be too long otherwise. The site is adjacent to the canal and the village has a little supermarket, boulangerie, bars, pizza places and a British shop as well a a tourism office and banks all within a couple of minutes walk so it's well set up for cycle touring. The town hall has beautiful public gardens.

7. Glomel. This site was a bit difficult to access and the main road through the town from the canal is busy with lorries and is a climb for the canal. We opted to follow the canal through the cutting around the town and cycle back on quiet roads. It was still a bit of a climb up and then a descent from the town to the lake. We timed it badly as all the shops are shut on a Wednesday afternoon but there is a boulangerie and small supermarket. Lovely setting right next to the lake with water views, it was the cheapest site with probably the best facilities ( one of those Swiss chalet style shower blocks which was clean and spacious). Fabulous pizza place (must be booked) in the town which was a few minutes walk or a couple of minutes cycle up the hill. 6 lots of cycle campers, including a family of 10, stayed the night we were there and the ratio of facilities was good. Quiet at night.

8. Carhaix Plouguer. valley d'Hyeres municipal. Again slightly difficult access, it is 4.7km from the canal at Carhaix Port along a cycle track that mostly runs next to a main road or you leave the canal at lock 200 and cycle back roads up a reasonable climb to town, through town and down to the valley on the other side. It was a probably ten minutes cycle into town, mostly uphill. The campsite had a bar and did an evening BBQ thought and depot de pain so no need to go into town. Right next to an adventure park place for the kids where they do zip wires, climbing walls and other tree surfing type activities. Facilities were reasonable in number but not great in cleanliness. No hot water the night we were there, but we saw the guy fixing it the next day. Large group of inner city teens and younger on an organised trip were fairly well supervised. Overall the beautiful setting next to a river in an area of open woodland made for a great first impression but the clientele was a quite varied - we locked our bikes more carefully than usual. Having said that it was very peaceful at night. Again plenty of cycle campers.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Here are some sites I used August/September 2014

Campingplatz Mörfelden
Am Zeltplatz 5-15
64546 Mörfelden (Hessen)
Altitude: 100m

Phone +49 (0)6105-22289
Fax +49 (0)6105-277459
Web www.campingplatz-moerfelden.de
E-mail info@campingplatz-moerfelden.de
Price euro 14,50 shower 1/6 mins

Pleasant enough site marred somewhat by traffic noise from the nearby autobahn. There isn't a shop but bread is available to order and the restaurant is reasonably priced.

Knaus Campingpark Bad Dürkheim ****
In den Almen 3
67098 Bad Dürkheim (Rheinland-Pfalz)
Altitude: 109m

Phone +49 (0)6322-61356
Fax +49 (0)6322-8161
Web www.knauscamp.de/bad-duerkheim.html
E-mail badduerkheim@knauscamp.de
Price euro15,30

Easy to find without getting lost! The sight fancies itself as a bit of a resort which frankly it's not. However because of that it attracts and encourages a younger clientele which in turn makes it quite noisy. Showers are free and the ablutions are in good order unlike the pitches which are showing the ravages of several summers. The on site shop has a quite varied inventory and serves snacks and breakfast. The 'resort' restaurant offers the usual fare.

Camping Speyer
Am Rübsämenwühl 31
67346 Speyer
Altitude: 92m

Phone +49 (0)6232-42228
Fax +49 (0)6232-815174
Web www.camping-speyer.de
E-mail Werner.brendel@camping-speyer.de
Price 11 euro - 5 euro deposit for key shower 1 euro

I wasn't entirely sure I'd found the right place when I arrived, a field with a couple of caravans and a tin hut by a farm gate. After trying to scam me for a bigger tent I was introduced to the facilities that, whilst clean are minimal. On site are toilets and a short walk off site lie the shower facilities attached to the neighbouring restaurant. The facilities are accessed using a key for which a deposit of 5 euros is taken and the shower cost is one euro for @ 6 minutes. Clearly there is no shop but a bakery and supermarkets are only five minutes walk away.

Camping Canstatter Wasen
Mercedes Straße 40
70372 Stuttgart (Baden)
Altitude: 245m

Phone +49 (0)711-556696
Fax +49 (0)711-557454
Web www.campingplatz-stuttgart.de
E-mail info@campingplatz-stuttgart.de
Price euro 11.50

My first impression wasn't great, it was dark and chucking it down with rain. In the light of day it became better, kiosk selling the basics, wash room, free showers, on site bar/restaurant. The tent area was quite small, quite lumpy and despite the attempts of the resident swan, the grass was a bit long. It is easy to find and in a reasonably good location for exploring Stuttgart.

Azur Campingpark Regensburg
Weinweg 40
93049 Regensburg-West (Bayern)
Altitude: 333m

Phone +49 (0)941-270025
Fax +49 (0)941-299432
Web www.azur-camping.de/de/campingplaetze/regensburg
E-mail regensburg@azur-camping.de
Price euro 17.25

A bit pricey but the showers are free! The on site shop is quite sparsely stocked, the restaurant is more like a clubhouse than an eating place. The food selection is very traditional German and the prices reasonable. Bread is available to order.

Knaus Campingpark Nürnberg
Hans-Kalb-Straße 56
90471 Nürnberg (Bayern)
Altitude: 380m

Phone +49 (0)911-9812717
Fax +49 (0)911-9812718
Web www.knauscamp.de/nuernberg.html
E-mail nuernberg@knauscamp.de
Price euro 22,90

Not the easiest site to find although you can be within a few hundred meters and not know. Bread available to order. Site restaurant not open. There is a small campers room and the all important showers are free. The tent area is suffering the ravages of use but it is more level than a lot of sites. Price is quite steep for what you get but I guess you pay for the location.

CampsiteTauber Idyll
Detwang 28A
91541 Rothenburg/Detwang (Bayern)
Altitude: 380m

Phone +49 (0)9861-3177
Fax +49 (0)9861-92848
Web www.rothenburg.de/tauberidyll/
E-mail camping-tauber-idyll@t-online.de
Price 10 euros

Finding this wasn't an issue, I remembered it's location from my previous trip to Rothenburg. Showers are free, the small shop is reasonably stocked with useful supplies and morning bread can be ordered. Busy site but still quiet despite that. Pitches are fairly level although a little worn.

AZUR Cp-park Wertheim am Main
An den Christwiesen 35
97877 Wertheim/Bestenheid (Baden-Württemberg)
Altitude: 140m

Phone +49 (0)9342-83111
Fax +49 (0)9342-83171
Web www.azur-camping.de/de/campingplaetze/wertheim
E-mail wertheim@azur-camping.de
Price 12.25 euros

Easy to locate in a prime riverside position 2km from the town. The on site store has a few basics but you aren't far from a selection of supermarkets and shops. Price includes showers and there's a cooking room if you like to be upright when preparing your grub!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

The sites I used in August 2013 in Switzerland

Camping Waldhort Reinach
Heideweg 16
4153 Reinach/Basel (Nordwestschweiz)
Altitude: 350m

Phone +41 (0)61-7116429
Fax +41 (0)61-7139835
Web www.camping-waldhort.ch
E-mail info@camping-waldhort.ch
Price 21.00 CHF bread to order

Less than 10km from the centre of Basel the site is dominated by jahrgaste but that doesn't seem to make much difference as its quite popular with tourists too. There's a small shop, free showers, kitchen and if you need it a laundry. The small tent pitches slope slightly, which could be an issue for late arrivals. There isn't a restaurant but its possible to buy a basic range of pizza and noodle meals.

Des Pêches
Rue du Port
2525 Le Landeron (Neuchâtel)
Altitude: 450m

Phone +41 (0)32-7512900
Fax +41 (0)32-7516354
Web www.camping-lelanderon.ch
E-mail info@camping-lelanderon.ch
Price 20.50 CHF

Quite a pleasant site far enough from the lake to avoid most of the midges but close enough to take a stroll there or into the village. Site restaurant is reasonably priced; others are located within a few minutes walk. No shops but again you are close to a choice in the village. Ablutions are clean and for me the free kitchen was a godsend, there are even freezers at your disposal. Showers cost 1CHF a go charged to a card then pay with your site charges.

Campsite Schiffenensee Düdingen
Schiffenen 15
3186 Düdingen (Fribourg)
Altitude: 560m

Phone +41 (0)26-4933486
Fax +41 (0)26-4933474
Web
E-mail info@camping-schiffenen.ch
Price 21.20 CHF

The site is almost entirely given over to jahrgaste and caters mostly for their needs. The shop is basic but you have the choice of the site or just off site hostelries. Facilities were clean, the site very quiet and the touring pitches level. Bread is available to order or the site bar is open plenty early for coffee. Showers included in price.

Campsite Jaunpass
3766 Boltigen (Bern)
Altitude: 1515m

Phone +41 (0)33-7736953
Fax +41 (0)33-7736324
Web
E-mail camping@jaunpass.ch
Price 16.40 CHF bread to order

Bit of an odd site, lots of jahrgaste but a small amount of passing trade has access to nice clean and free facilities, the site 'restaurant' and depending on the season up to 6 other hostelries within a few minutes walk. Bread to order or get breakfast from the shop. This really shouldn't be a cyclist’s stop, there’s a nasty climb on both sides, which is not how you want to end the day.

TCS Interlaken ‘6’
Brienzstraße 24
3800 Interlaken-Ost (Bern)
Altitude: 567m

Phone +41 (0)33-8224434
Fax +41 (0)33-8234456
Web
E-mail camping.interlaken@tcs.ch
Price 27.80 CHF

Whilst not necessarily the closest site to central Interlaken my choice was partly coloured by its close proximity to the Ost Bahnhof from where the Jungfrau trains depart - a strong arm could throw a stone but think about fifteen minutes walk as you have to go a short way to the nearest bridge. Very helpful staff, the shop is mostly bread and beer but its not far to 'proper' food stores so hardly an issue.

Facilities are many, free and clean, you can rent dormitories or huts too so if you are fed up of canvas this could be for you. Kitchen facilities are available and there is a camper’s lounge at your disposal too.

Campsite Aaregg
Seestraße 22
3855 Brienz (Bern)
Altitude: 560m

Phone +41 (0)33-9511843
Fax
Web www.aaregg.ch
E-mail mail@aaregg.ch
Price 25 CHF bread to order

It’s a nice site in a good location with some excellent facilities. Showers are included in the price and can be found in one of the best ablutions blocks I’ve come across - there are even kids scale washing facilities. No actual kitchen facilities but a restaurant and small shop where you can buy bread or a beer but not a lot more. Its not far to restaurants etc in Brienz.

Campsite International Lido
Lidostraße 19
6006 Luzern (Zentralschweiz)
Altitude: 435m

Phone +41 (0)41-3702146
Fax +41 (0)41-3702145
Web
E-mail luzern@camping-international.ch
Price 21.90 CHF bread to order

I first stayed here in 1986 and I don't think much has changed. New campers lounge and toilet facilities have smartened things up and the on site snack bar/shop is a welcome addition. Bread can be ordered or take pot luck but either book in advance or arrive early as it gets full quite early. Its certainly ideal for Luzern sightseeing, the Verkehrshaus is five minutes walk and the city centre just 30 minutes on foot along the lakeside.

Campsite Eichholz
Strandweg 49
3084 Wabern/Bern (Bern)
Altitude: 510m

Phone +41 (0)31-9612602
Fax +41 (0)31-9613526
Web
E-mail info@campingeichholz.ch
Price 17.50 CHF

It was easy enough to find this very tent friendly site on the bank of the Aare, its well signposted and on all the information maps in the area. For tents there are no set pitches so its pick your own spot in an area the size of a soccer pitch although size is the only common feature as its more like Chatsworth Park!

Facilities are clean and modern with an al fresco kitchen area with hobs and power points. The on site restaurant is reasonably priced and offers the usual fare, there isn't any shop beyond beer and sweets but you are within 10 minutes of Wabern centre where there is a CO-OP with pretty much anything you're likely to want. Showers are by token 1.50 CHF for 3 minutes.

Campsite Wiggerspitz
Hofmattstraße 40
4663 Aarburg (Nordwestschweiz)
Altitude: 402m

Phone +41 (0)62-7915810
Fax
Web
E-mail info@camping-aarburg.ch
Price 14 CHF bread to order

Another easy to find stop, if you find Aarburg you find the site. Its small and the facilities reflect that so whilst clean and well presented some stuff could do with updating / renovating. Its clearly well used, the grass was quite tired when I visited but its level and if you pitch carefully there is shade to be had. It’s cheap which means that you pay for showers (1CHF/6 mins) but also for hot water for washing up etc.

The on site cafe is reasonably priced for food but the town is only 10 minutes away if you fancy something more up market. It can be noisy as it’s wedged between a main road and the main Bern - Zurich railway line although the site itself is reasonably quiet.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

sites I used in July/August 2011 in Denmark

DCU Absalon Camping
Korsdalvej 132
2610 Rødovre (Hovedstaden)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 36410600
Fax: (+45) 36410293
E-mail: absalon@dcu.dk
Price KR 120

It has what it says on the box -free showers, shop, a good size lounge and so on. Look a bit deeper and some of the facilities are a little the worse for wear - probably more 3 star than five. The worst bit for me was how wet the whole site was, even the higher ground was waterlogged! Bread to order or take a chance.

Helsingør-Grønnehave Camping
Strandalleen 2
3000 Helsingør (Sjælland)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 49284950
Fax: (+45) 49284940
E-mail: campingpladsen@helsingor.dk
Price KR110

A very small site about a fifteen minute walk or two stops on the local train to the town centre. Its right on the sea front and in sight of Kronborg castle. Basic facilities, a shower token will set you back KR 5. And that train, it trundles past just a few metres from the tent pitches twice an hour! Bread to order KR110 night

Sølager Strand Camping
Kulhusvej 2
Sølager
3390 Hundested
Tel: (+45) 47939362
E-mail : solager@dk-camp.dk
Price KR 122 night

Very pleasant site with excellent facilities. Tents can be near the beach or almost on it, i chose the former! The showers are free but hot water isn't, some of the facilities are essentially hotel wet rooms, the others are more traditional. Bread can be ordered, its cooked fresh on site. A very quiet site with grassy and well drained pitches.

Camping Sorø
Udbyhøjvej 10
4180 Sorø (Sjælland)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 57830202
Fax: (+45) 57821102
E-mail: info@soroecamping.dk
Price KR 224 (hut)

About 2km from the town it's main business like so many others these days is 'jahregaste'. Pleasant location with good facilities but a silly card swipe system that doesn't always let you into the toilet/shower. This was my first 'hut' and unlike the deluxe cabins appearing on many sites a hut is pretty much that - think garden shed and you'll be on the right lines. I wasn't expecting bedding or crockery, there's even a coffe maker and kettle. If this option had been more widely available i would have left the tent at home. at a push hut could sleep 4 but intended for 1/2.

DCU Odense City Camp
Odensevej 102
5260 Odense S (Fyn)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 66114702
Fax: (+45) 65917343
E-mail: odense@dcu.dk
Price KR120

Everything is included, no hidden extras but on the other hand there isnt a shop of any kind. No bread. There are various food emporia within walking distance so its not a huge issue. One handy thing - except the week i visited, are the two bike shops nearby. Fairly level and moisture free pitch not too far from the facilities but far too close to the entertainment zone.

Færgegårdens Camping
Spodsbjergvej 335
5900 Spodsbjerg (Fyn)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 62501136
Fax: (+45) 62502636
E-mail: info@spodsbjerg.dk
Price KR 97

This is the first site that i've ever revisited and i have to say that it hasn't changed since i was last here. Showers will cost you KR 5 a throw, there is a site grill but no shop as there is an excellent supermarket 2 minutes walk away. On a more general note they could do with cutting the grass more regularly.

Guldborg Camping
Guldborgvej 147
4862 Guldborg (Sjælland)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 62501136
Fax: (+45) 62502636
E-mail: info@spodsbjerg.dk
Price KR 170 (hut)

My second hut site, cheaper by quite a bit and i'd say its a better hut. Its set up more like a caravan inside, small kitchen area and a full size fridge come as part of the package. The site is generally a little tired although pleasantly appointed. KR 2 for a shower isn't too bad except i needed two goes to freshen up. Bread to order, limited site shop but supermarket a short walk away. As a 'hutter' its fine but ground is quite damp after several dry days.

Stubbekøbing Camping
Gl. Landevej 4
4850 Stubbekøbing (Sjælland)
Denmark
Tel: (+45) 54441057
E-mail: stubbekoebing-camping@mail.dk
Price KR85

Great location close to the town so no on site shop as such but bread is available to order. There is direct access to the sea if thats what you want. Unusually its the tents who have the best access to the facilities and although not level the pitches are pretty flat. KR 5 for a 3 min shower.

Stege Camping
Falckvej 5
4780 Stege (Sjælland)
Denmark
Tel: +45 55818404
E-mail:
Price KR75

Most expensive shower to date - KR 10 but its a very nice clean site. Level pitches but with a tendency to damp. No shop but there are several in the town a few minutes away. Tents get a good deal on the facilities and the kitchen is well equipped.

De Hvide Svaner Camping
Karrebækvej 741
4736 Karrebæksminde (Sjælland)
Denmark
Tel: +45 55442415
Fax: +45 55442429
E-mail: svaner@mail.dk
Price KR104

Shop, free showers, restaurant nearby the touring field is on a fair slope but level pitches can be found. Good and clean facilities oh and with a bonus burial mound in the middle of the tent field! bread from on site shop.

Campsite Køge Sydstrand
SDR. Badevej 1
4600 Køge (Sjælland)
Denmark
Phone: (+45) 56650769
Email: koege.sydstrand.camping@fritid.tele.dk
Price KR102

Although not fantastically signposted it was easy to find. Showers are KR 5 for just 2.5 mins! Close to shops and the 'beach' and the site has a basic shop too. If you like the sound of the sea this one is for you. bread can be ordered.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

For future reference, the index will work better if it has entries to specific places in separate posts, rather than to "a bunch of sites in Germany"
The main disadvantage is that it makes it impossible to add any location/region to the town or village name.
thidwick

Post by thidwick »

Isle Croft campsite, Dalbeattie, Dumfries & Galloway, Scotland.

I spent a long weekend cycling touring around the Dumfries & Galloway area of Scotland. The one campsite I stayed at was the Isle Croft campsite in Dalbeattie.
It has: toilets, hot showers, dishwashing sink, washing machine & tumble drier. All seemed clean and well cared for. There was soap, shampoo and paper towel in the toilets & showers, and some Fairy Liquid by the dishwashing sink. The campsite is a flat grassy area which didn't seem inclined to be boggy. The site is next to the town park, school and football ground.
In my opinion, it has a nice homely and safe feel to it despite it being close to the town centre. It took me 5 mins to walk to the Kings Arms for beer and pub food.
Site was quiet when I was there (second weekend in May). The sign on the office said "free WiFi", but I didn't find it!
Cost me £13.50 for a solo tent for one night. I didn't begrudge this based almost solely on the clean and hot shower and toilets.
I'd go there again.
F70100

Bolding Way Campsite, Weybourne, North Norfolk

Post by F70100 »

I stayed here recently on a quick motorcycle camping trip and found it exactly as described on their website http://www.boldingway.co.uk/campsite.html, very friendly, clean facilities, large shower cubicles with "proper" shower heads and plentiful hot water. There are a few garden chairs available to borrow so you don't have to sit on the floor if you don't want to. The pitches along the south boundary of the site are level but those on the north boundary appear to slope a little. At £14 for a single, it's not the cheapest.

It's in the village of Weybourne, 3-4 minutes walk to the pub and about 10 minutes to the beach. It takes a little finding; there is a small, low-key, sign at the entrance to the driveway on the main road through the village. It refers to Bolding Way but doesn't mention the campsite. Follow the driveway to the end - the owners live in The Barn, the last house you come to.

We have stayed at a few naturist sites (although this one is clothing optional - there's no obligation for you to do anything but accept it) over the years and one advantage we have found with them is that they feel much more secure than regular campsites. They are usually hidden away and have large gates for privacy which deters casual ne'er do wells from wandering in.

Looking forward to another visit.
pwa

Post by pwa »

NEWCOURT FARM, Velindre (or Felindre on some maps) between Hay on Wye and Talgarth on NCN8. Basic facilities (shower, toilets, covered food prep area) but the setting is wonderful. The slightly raised campsite has extensive views over the fields, hedges, woods and hills. The farming family that run this new site are very friendly. Give it a go if you are in that area.
Michiel123

Post by Michiel123 »

Hi all

Last week when I was searching for a campsite I came across this website: http://www.campinghunter.com/en/europe/ A large summary of many campsites , search by map, very useful! and links to the website of the campsites. :D
Unfortunately, only Southern Europe: France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, the Austria and the Balkans

Michiel
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Truleigh Hill YHA above Shoreham by the Sea, west of Brighton

You can camp here. The site is on top of the South Downs so there are great views to to be had & the South Downs Way passes by the side. The YHA is open all day for passers by ( and campers ) and is a very nice place just to chill. campers can use the members kitchen.The site it self is not very flat so care has to be take where u pitch your tent & there are the lambs.... YHA members get £3 off normal prices. It is a long slog up the mill hill to get there.

sloped  site with YHA in the background
sloped site with YHA in the background
triker131

Post by triker131 »

France, Normandy, Argentan Municipal Camp Ground, Argentan.

Stayed here one night on 3rd September 2015. About 20 pitches, very well maintained. Facilities spotlessly clean. I was the only tent, all other pitches occupied by camper vans. For one person with tent and tricycle was 4.90euros. The guardian is a bit obsessive and was busy chasing two leaves (yes two!) off the property with a leaf blower. The gravel in entry area is raked into swirly pattern - Japanese style - so you can why all the facilities were so clean and well maintained. 10/10 for me.
triker131

Post by triker131 »

France, Normandy, Alencon municipal campground.

Stayed one night September 5th 2015. Tricycle, tent, one adult was 8.65 euros.

Adequate but I had been spoiled by the site at Argentan which is nicer and cheaper. Showers could do with a coat of paint but everything worked. 7/10.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

MrsHJ wrote:A quick run down on the campsites we used along the Nantes Brest Canal which is also part of Eurovelo 1 from 14 to 22 August.

The opinions are my own and inevitably reflect busyness/ mood of reception on the day and probably the weather. None of the campsites was terrible, I'd use them all again if necessary but some we preferred to others. On our first night in Redon on arriving by train we stayed at the Hotel le France which is nothing special but adequate,central and next to the canal.

prices ranged from 10 euros to 24 euros for us which is 2 adults, an 8 and a 10 year old, two small tents and the velos. Typical price about 13/14 euros. Comments re difficulty of access are based on the response of the 8 year old, there is nothing to be concerned about for adults campers who will probably cover the same route in 2-3 days.

1. St Congard ( East of Maelstroit). Small municipal, adjacent to the canal, well set up, super clean, mature campers with caravans all in bed by 9pm, very quiet. Central play area for the kids, individual emplacements separated by hedges. Ratio of facilities to campers very good as only 3 lots of non caravan campers. Bar in the village with depot de pain but no real shopping. Lovely cycle shop in the village. The village to the east, St Martin sur Oust had a nice little supermarket and a campsite and more eating places.

2. Les Cerisiers, 2km east of Josselin. Private, facilities a bit meh and ratio of facilities to campers not high but washing machine and dryer. Open field camping in woody area, more relaxed and younger crowd. A number of fixed cabin type options. Short but steep climb from the canal (well signposted). No shops in the very quiet hamlet although the bar did snacks and ice creams. 5 -10 minute cycle to Josselin for shops and restaurants but J has no supermarket in the town, it is a little to the North.

3. Rohan. Municipal site adjacent to the canal and 1 minute walk from the little supermarket, boulangerie etc. Facilities were nice and clean and with a reasonable ratio of loos and showers to campers. Many cycle campers, super smelly ladies loos that seemed to me to be a drainage issue. Washing machine in the laundry room. Open area with trees. Mixed ages and people. Very quiet town but very noisy late night revelling and teen type motorbike revving activities somewhere close to the campsite.

4. Pontivy. Municipal site adjacent to the canal, slightly longer walk into town as it's a larger place. Cycle campers were clearly stretching the facilities here and were asked to camp in a little strip of land with trees behind the main campsite and next to the town football pitches. Not enough loos (2 male and 2 female) and showers really compared to the number of campers but a decent quality and a really valiant effort being made to keep them clean. There were probably 25 cycle camping tents on the night we stayed here, including an organised group. Plenty of shops and restaurants about 10 minutes walk away although on a quiet Sunday the town didn't really grab us.

5. Mur de Bretagne. Blimey, steep haul from the canal up to the campsite Point de Vue which is next to a large lake. Once you've made it over the hill turn left at the t junction instead of right into town. Private campsite with pricey washing machine and dryer but not much in the way of food except ice creams and sweets. Beach is adjacent to the site. Largish site with plenty of facilities which were in reasonable but nothing special condition. Open, tree areas with intermittent hedges. Quite a lot of organised kids holiday camps from the look or it.fair number of cycle campers. Shopping is five to ten minutes cycle, stick to the cycle path signed "centre ville" which takes you almost exactly to a nice supermarket and avoids most of the climbing to the top of town. The supermarket is one more street to the west from the old railway station you arrive at on the bike path. Mixed crowd camping with a younger element using the public BBQ facilities.

6. Gouarec. This was the most expensive site we stayed at and absolutely rammed with cyclists and tandems (mostly British). It was a tandem festival and this put a fair bit of pressure on the facilities which put them at the poorer end of the scale we stayed at. It felt like time for a new shower section as the walls were very dated and grubby paintwork especially given the relatively high price of the site. It was nice seeing so many other cyclists but we probably prefer a quieter site with fewer English. We hadn't intended to stop here but a review of the map suggested the next day would be too long otherwise. The site is adjacent to the canal and the village has a little supermarket, boulangerie, bars, pizza places and a British shop as well a a tourism office and banks all within a couple of minutes walk so it's well set up for cycle touring. The town hall has beautiful public gardens.

7. Glomel. This site was a bit difficult to access and the main road through the town from the canal is busy with lorries and is a climb for the canal. We opted to follow the canal through the cutting around the town and cycle back on quiet roads. It was still a bit of a climb up and then a descent from the town to the lake. We timed it badly as all the shops are shut on a Wednesday afternoon but there is a boulangerie and small supermarket. Lovely setting right next to the lake with water views, it was the cheapest site with probably the best facilities ( one of those Swiss chalet style shower blocks which was clean and spacious). Fabulous pizza place (must be booked) in the town which was a few minutes walk or a couple of minutes cycle up the hill. 6 lots of cycle campers, including a family of 10, stayed the night we were there and the ratio of facilities was good. Quiet at night.

8. Carhaix Plouguer. valley d'Hyeres municipal. Again slightly difficult access, it is 4.7km from the canal at Carhaix Port along a cycle track that mostly runs next to a main road or you leave the canal at lock 200 and cycle back roads up a reasonable climb to town, through town and down to the valley on the other side. It was a probably ten minutes cycle into town, mostly uphill. The campsite had a bar and did an evening BBQ thought and depot de pain so no need to go into town. Right next to an adventure park place for the kids where they do zip wires, climbing walls and other tree surfing type activities. Facilities were reasonable in number but not great in cleanliness. No hot water the night we were there, but we saw the guy fixing it the next day. Large group of inner city teens and younger on an organised trip were fairly well supervised. Overall the beautiful setting next to a river in an area of open woodland made for a great first impression but the clientele was a quite varied - we locked our bikes more carefully than usual. Having said that it was very peaceful at night. Again plenty of cycle campers.

Just a quick note on the Gouarec campsite as the one responsible for the tandem rally there! Normally it is very, very quiet and being in the village has everything on your doorstep (and is actually on the canal). It's also on the V6 cyclepath from Carhaix -> Loudeac so uniquely at the crossroads which means a fine place to be based at the crossroads. I've put up the some of the rides the tandems used here - http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage/cyc ... ny?start=8 but I have many more if anyone wants to get in contact - especially easier ones for children.
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

John 0'Groats Campsite

phone: 01955 611329
email: info@johnogroatscampsite.co.uk
£8 for bike, tent and 1 person (2016)
key for toilet/shower block, to post in box on departure.
good, fairly level grass, exposed to the wind (which keeps the midges down)
Pub/Hotel and shop 600m back up the road at the A99/A836 junction, cafe adjacent