Campsite Reviews (index)

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
simonineaston

Re: Campsite Reviews (index)

Post by simonineaston »

Camping field, behind The Golden Swan, Wilcot, Wiltshire (OS Grid - SU142610)
Spacious, modest but clean facilities, (Gents / Ladies & a couple of washing stalls / shower). Nice pub, currently quite well geared-up to deal with C19 - lots of outdoor seating, table service, large fresh-made pizzas available at the week-end, at a tenner each.
£7 per person, per night. Kids sometimes go free, depending on the landlord's mood! Leccy hook-ups available. Great cycling / walking available nearby, as is Kennet & Avon canal. Pewsey, 3 miles away, has Spar (opens early) and larger CoOp, as well as at least 3 take-aways.
Wilcot & nearby bike routes
Wilcot & nearby bike routes
Landlord & family get lots of mixed comments on the likes of TripAdvisor but I've always found them straight forward and helpful.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Just back from Clachtoll campsite.
North of Ullapool near Lochinvar.
Excellent facilities. Near the beach for midge beating breeze. Check out my blog for the tour.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Nort ... andAug2020
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

simonineaston wrote:How does the index work? I'm about to add an entry, but found the list of existing entries hard to review. In the end, I simply used Ctrl + F to search for key words, which I failed to find... (Wilcot / Pewsey / Golden Swan)
The index is ordered alphabetically by county, then place, with Wilcot being at the end of Wiltshire.
The existing entry for the Golden Swan points at viewtopic.php?f=42&t=64440&start=75#p1521825

The index posts are ordinary forum posts, so only the Original Poster (i.e.me) can edit them to add new entries (plus, presumably, a moderator).

I'll notice reviews posted to this topic relatively soon, and add the review to the index. Reviews posted elsewhere will generally only get acted on if I happen to read the post, or if I get a PM.
In general. I only add actual reviews, not posts that just mention the existence of a campsite, or that someone stayed at one, but which doesn't give any opinion.

The posts for actual campsites aren't searchable except using the general forum search (in the title bar), which will find posts that include your search terms anywhere on the forum. You can also go to "advanced" to restrict search results to a specific forum or sub-forum, or to switch between all search terms and any search term. However, the search terms just have to be present, rather than logically connected.

Ctrl-F only searches the text on the current page.
Last edited by andrew_s on 23 Apr 2021, 10:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I was making some tentative plans for a couple of nights away. I thought C and C sites were absurd at £16. Then this:
Good morning

The price would be £28.50 for the 1 night.

Kind regards

Lisa
Booking Assistant

Belhaven Bay Caravan & Camping Park
Edinburgh Road
West Barns
East Lothian
EH42 1TU

Tel 01368 865956
www.meadowhead.co.uk

Meadowhead Parks, Wonderful Parks, Fabulous Holidays, Stunning Locations
CLICK ... www.meadowhead.co.uk and to book online.
John
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Quite a few places offer tent bookings on the basis that everything is a family-sized frame tent, and are more reasonable if you just turn up.

Having said that, I'd go for the Dunbar C&CC site, about a mile and a half W of Dunbar centre. "Members price from £7.35" it says, which I'd guess would put the non-member backpacker (i.e. cycle tourist) rate at £9 or £10.
I think it may not be possible to book as a cycle tourist via the website, but it's C&CC policy that they'll always find room for cyclists/backpackers if you just turn up.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Follow up: I complained and they dropped the price to £17.85. Still way over what is reasonable.

I’m always somewhat nervous about “just turning up”.
John
nez

Post by nez »

That is a bit more reasonable. We don’t know what their costs for keeping the loos and showers up to covid standards are could that be an influence?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Maybe, maybe not.

Thirlestane Castle site - in my view superior - is £8. Breamish Valley, a CC site, is £4.80 (but unfortunately full).
John
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

My wife and I having just returned from a couple of weeks touring around the North Pennines, Lake District and the Dales there are two campsites which stood out for us. The first was Cragg Hill Farm site in Horton in Ribblesdale. This is a lovely quiet site in a beautiful location. There are no caravans. It is well located for some lovely rides and we took advantage to spend two days there. Good warm showers (about the only thing I really want from a campsite other than peace and quiet). Cost was £10 per night for both of us. Be aware that there are no local shops. Nearest shops are at Settle, about 40 mins ride away (take the ncn68 from Helwith Bridge rather than the main road - it's lovely).

The second one was Gibraltar Farm site at Silverdale in the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. A lovely site with views over and access to Morecambe Bay. We stayed an extra day here to explore the area and would highly recommend it with the Forest of Bowland nearby. Cost £17 per night.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 2:54pm My wife and I having just returned from a couple of weeks touring around the North Pennines, Lake District and the Dales there are two campsites which stood out for us. The first was Cragg Hill Farm site in Horton in Ribblesdale. This is a lovely quiet site in a beautiful location. There are no caravans. It is well located for some lovely rides and we took advantage to spend two days there. Good warm showers (about the only thing I really want from a campsite other than peace and quiet). Cost was £10 per night for both of us. Be aware that there are no local shops. Nearest shops are at Settle, about 40 mins ride away (take the ncn68 from Helwith Bridge rather than the main road - it's lovely).

The second one was Gibraltar Farm site at Silverdale in the Arnside and Silverdale AONB. A lovely site with views over and access to Morecambe Bay. We stayed an extra day here to explore the area and would highly recommend it with the Forest of Bowland nearby. Cost £17 per night.
Could've sworn i'd seen some sort of village store in Horton and a quick web search reveals that The Trading Post sits in the middle of the village plus there's a tea room and 2 pubs :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

foxyrider wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 4:08pm
iandusud wrote: 18 Aug 2021, 2:54pm My wife and I having just returned from a couple of weeks touring around the North Pennines, Lake District and the Dales there are two campsites which stood out for us. The first was Cragg Hill Farm site in Horton in Ribblesdale. This is a lovely quiet site in a beautiful location. There are no caravans. It is well located for some lovely rides and we took advantage to spend two days there. Good warm showers (about the only thing I really want from a campsite other than peace and quiet). Cost was £10 per night for both of us. Be aware that there are no local shops. Nearest shops are at Settle, about 40 mins ride away (take the ncn68 from Helwith Bridge rather than the main road - it's lovely).

Could've sworn i'd seen some sort of village store in Horton and a quick web search reveals that The Trading Post sits in the middle of the village plus there's a tea room and 2 pubs :lol:
The Trading Post was closed the three days we were there but appeared to be opening as we passed on Saturday morning as we left. There are two pubs, one of which, The Golden Lion, didn't answer their phone when we tried to book a table before arriving and was closed when we called by at 2pm. The other pub, The Crown, we ate at the first evening. Food was average and expensive, as was the beer. The following two evenings we ate at the Helwith Bridge Inn where food was better and very reasonably priced, as was the beer (£3.20 pint for the real ales). BTW the Tourist Information Centre in Horton was never open at any time when we passed it! You'd hardly believe it was the height of the tourist season :lol:
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Quite a few places offer tent bookings on the basis that everything is a family-sized frame tent, and are more reasonable if you just turn up.

Having said that, I'd go for the Dunbar C&CC site, about a mile and a half W of Dunbar centre. "Members price from £7.35" it says, which I'd guess would put the non-member backpacker (i.e. cycle tourist) rate at £9 or £10.
I think it may not be possible to book as a cycle tourist via the website, but it's C&CC policy that they'll always find room for cyclists/backpackers if you just turn up.
Worth noting that this policy was suspended due to covid and hasn't been reinstated yet. I'd guess most C&CC sites might still do it if you just turn up and they aren't busy? I've booked online several times this year and always been given a refund without asking for it to take my fee down to cyclist/backpacker price.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Campsites for North Wales/the Marches, a couple just OK, a couple really lovely, very different as you might deduce from the prices, but I'd return to any of them again.

Cotton Arms - £5
Cholmondeley Road
Wrenbury
Cheshire
CW5 8HG
Tel: 01270 780377

Wern Isaf Farm - £13
Wern Road
Llangollen
Denbighshire
LL20 8DU
Tel: 01978 860632

Ty-Isaf - £7
Llangynog Road
Bala
Gwynedd
LL23 7PP
Tel: 07983 383949

Eisteddfa Caravan And Camping Site – £10
Pentrefelin
Criccieth
Gwynedd
LL52 0PT
Tel: 01766 52269

Riverside Camping - £15
Seiont Nurseries
Pontrug
Caernarfon
Gwynedd
LL55 2BB
Tel: 01286 678781

Corn Bŵch Campsite, - £10
Waen,
St Asaph,
Denbighshire,
Wales,
LL17 0DY

Birch Bank Farm Camp Site - £7
Stamford Lane
Christleton
Chester
Cheshire
CH3 7QD
Tel: 01244 335233
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Thehairs1970

Post by Thehairs1970 »

Langston Manor, near Tavistock, Devon. It’s been a little while since we visited. Wow!

Much if the park is given over to statics and camping pods. However, the camping field gets the best views over Tavistock and Cornwall. Pitches are terraced with elec available if that’s your bag. Beautifully clean with showers, a bathroom, laundry and dishwashing area. Lockers with charging points for a very small fee (deposit?). There is a restaurant/bar attached to the site which you wouldn’t know about unless you visited. Lots of info on wildlife and things to see in the area. Close to NCN 27 and great access to the moor.

Cost £12 for a pitch in March for two people arriving on bikes or foot.

And lovely owner too!

https://www.langstonemanor.co.uk/
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

pal wrote: 18 Aug 2013, 8:11pm 'Silly Moos' Campsite, nr Ramsey, Isle of Man: http://sillymooscampsite.co.uk/ Simple campsite (just a big, flat field, really), but very well run, and in a nice, quiet location. A couple of toilets/showers (supplemented by portaloos), and a washing-up area: all very clean, with plentiful hot water. One of the barns has been kitted out with picnic tables, a couple of kettles and a toaster, so there's somewhere dry to eat if (when!) the Manx rain comes cascading down. In the summer, there are activities for kids during the day, so there's a bit of noise (on the plus side: there's also a tent selling ice-cream, etc), but everything was very peaceful by the evening. Recommended.
Been there at TT time. What a section of TT course ! The barns are a big plus keeping you and bicycle dry. Didn't actually camp there but when I enquired about it the owners seemed very friendly and accommodating. The reason I stopped there was so I could get back to KM via the jurby rd -- could have used the old narrow Gage / now shared use path but it was over grown from silly moos to sulby. After sulby I can get back on it all the way way to KM
I am here. Where are you?