Camping in Switzerland

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
foxyrider

Camping in Switzerland

Post by foxyrider »

I'm planning a couple of weeks in choccy land next year, has anyone got any recommendations for camping grounds?

Looking at a strip from Basle to Austrian/Italian border.

When is the best time to go?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mattie

Re: Camping in Switzerland

Post by Mattie »

I passed some of that way last summer, in August. Joined the route at Schaffhausen

The first campsite was at a little place called WAGENHAUSEN next to the river Rhein. It was the first bit of socializing with other cycle tourers, as the small campsite had a patch for cycle campers, and a common room where everyone could go when it rained (which it did !)
GPS: N 47 39.774 E 8 50.564 (degrees decimal minutes)

The other site I stopped at was near ALTENRHEIN right on the cycle route 2, the Rhein Route. So more cycle campers and bigger site with more facilities. Again it rained heavily so my memories of it are of taking shelter in the camp cafe, eating pastries and waiting a couple of days for the rain to stop !
GPS: N 47 29.442 E 9 33.931

That was in August 2011, and there had been unusually heavy rain and thunder storms, but when it cleared it was a gorgeous place to cycle. :D

I am sure you will love it.
graham joyce

Re: Camping in Switzerland

Post by graham joyce »

Hi

I cycled Route 3 (Basel to Chorino)last July and had good cycling weather (not too hot but sun/clouds). I found campsites busy and expensive (25 -30 SF) at this time of year but there was very limited choice - a matter of take what you can get. In some places eg. near Gothard pass you can 'sleep in the hay' paying a farmer a few franc for a barn which is very nice. If you need more details i can look up locations again.

Graham