Phone charging whilst cycle camping in France

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
crazyferret

Re: Phone charging whilst cycle camping in France

Post by crazyferret »

I've just got back from a trip around western Europe and found that most camp sites have plug sockets in the toilets that you can charge from. If you get a spot near the toilets and keep an eye on it then you should be fine. We also charged in cafes and places we had our lunch, you have to remember that although their driving isn't great the French like to help out cyclists. Failing that buy the cheapest pay and go phone. I used a Nokia and so only have to charge every week or so, even if you can't use the internet.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

crazyferret wrote:I've just got back from a trip around western Europe and found that most camp sites have plug sockets in the toilets that you can charge from. If you get a spot near the toilets and keep an eye on it then you should be fine.

It's really not a good idea - at least with an expensive phone. If your phone does get nicked even if you can be sure you know who did it, the campsite management are not going to order a search, and I doubt the police will want to get involved. Asking the reception is by a long way the best idea.
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonineaston.

I've got one of those Motorolas - found the battery degraded after a while and the battery is too small I fear.

When touring I use an old Nokia (I know they are in the sh** now but they did make good solid old-fashioned phones) with a decent-sized battery and I have a spare battery for it.

It sure doesn't look like stealing - due to a slight issue Nolia had on that phone with the battery moving, the battery on the back is secured with a cross of duct tape. It's worthless.

And I can (once duct tape unpeeled!) remove the SIM before leaving it to charge anywhere.

If you want GPS I'd use a dedicated GPS - I use the Etrex 20 - seems to go for about 24 hours of use on 2 recharegable AAs and I can charge 4 at a time in an hour with my charger. The Etrex is loaded with camspite data from Archies.
Sweep