cycle security/locks when camping?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
RickH

Re: cycle security/locks when camping?

Post by RickH »

andymiller wrote:It looks OK, but the problem is that if you're camping one of the difficulties is finding something you can lock the bike to. For me the acid test is whether it will go round a tree.

There is a 120cm version that would give a bit more versatility, at the cost of some of extra weight (link & Abus page).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

RickH wrote:
andymiller wrote:It looks OK, but the problem is that if you're camping one of the difficulties is finding something you can lock the bike to. For me the acid test is whether it will go round a tree.

There is a 120cm version that would give a bit more versatility, at the cost of some of extra weight (link & Abus page).

Rick.

Yes - it wasn't Sold Secure rated last year - but that doesn't matter if you don't have insurance. It'd go round a decent tree!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

MrLeadfoot wrote:I use a Dutch lock.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicycle-bike- ... 0059074%26

Looks interesting, I might investigate two of these for our Dutch trip for city stops.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Slowroad wrote:It'd go round a decent tree!

120cm might go round a sapling, but not a mature tree. 2.5 metres is a better length as it means you have a fighting chance of securing a wheels or two as well.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

andymiller wrote:120cm might go round a sapling, but not a mature tree.
True because it has to go around the tree and back to the bike to lock up. I have a 2 metre cable lock I've been using for 40 years and sometimes have trouble with that being a bit short.
Thinking I'd like to try something different, I thought about the simple cables with a loop at either end as sold by Kryptonite as additions to their D locks. This means that only one length of cable needs to run from tree to bike. I have bought http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/TECNI-10mm ... nd-Options primarily because I was fascinated by the end fittings. The stainless cable (enclosed in 2mm PVC) is 6mm diameter, so similar to Kryptonite et al. The cables are made to order and you can have any length you like. Not exactly cheap, my 2 metre cables was something like £35. Delivery was in a couple of days. I have all sorts of ideas about how to use this to secure my machine to my tent as well as to trees, fences tec.