Light weight tent link?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Sooper8

Light weight tent link?

Post by Sooper8 »

Hi,
Looking for tent less than 1kg, just for UK spring/summer. Single skin, nothing fancy (i.e. price is important, I don't want to spend loads),anybody have any personal recommendations please? If so, could you point me to a web site?
Thanks in advance
foxyrider

Re: Light weight tent link?

Post by foxyrider »

You could start here http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page36.asp although as with most things light and cheap rarely combine with any sort of quality!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
1982john

Post by 1982john »

best price vs weight tent i've is

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Solo-One ... 545&sr=1-1

I have one and it performs well in light rain/wind

to knock any serious weight of your talking £200 +
Russell_allen

Post by Russell_allen »

For space/weight/cost you might like one of these. A one man tent is a bit small for cycle camping and can be a bit like a coffin, a two man tent is a much better bet.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/t2-ultralight-pro-tent-id_6539976.html

or these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047T69S2/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=11066127485&ref=asc_df_B0047T69S2

regards

Russell
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

I'd suggest getting a Wild Country Zephyros 2 and leaving the inner tent behind to cut the weight down. It's 1.6kg all up, so that should get down to near 1kg.
There's also a slightly smaller Zephyros 1 that F&T used to have at £75

The cheapest sub-1kg tent I know of is the Terra Nova Laser Comp 1, £230 from F&T

When checking weights for light tarps or single skin tents, bear in mind that the quoted weight frequently doesn't include any poles, as it is expected that you'll be using walking poles,like you won't have on a bike.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Many thanks for all those links...and the tip on the advertised weight Andrew.
Therealsouthstander

Re: Light weight tent link?i

Post by Therealsouthstander »

I can confirm the Decathlon one is superb...It done me just fine on my Outer Hebrides trip in May this year..
awparker

Post by awparker »

Sooper8

I can recommend the Gelert Solo. I am 5 ft 10 in and can manage comfortably for a night or two. See my earlier post on this forum in Camping Section, Pictures of your Tents.

Alan
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

For a single skin I'd have a look at tarp/tent stuff. The MLD Trailstar is well liked, for example, see http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=102. It recently got a best in test in TGO from Chris Townsend, who generally knows what he's on about.

Only real catch seems to be you have to import from the USA, I don't think there are any UK dealers.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Aushiker

Post by Aushiker »

I suspect this might be out your price range but my vote is for a Tarptent shelter. I personally use a Tarptent Scarp 1. For me a shelter is very important so I prefer to not skimp on quality.

Tarptent Scarp 1 in action at Pritchard Creek on the Chasing the Dirt tour.

Andrew
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

OP asks for cheap, sub 1kg, single skin. Puts me in mind of the "High Peak Minilite Two Man Tent" I bought for £20 or so. Think single skin toblerone, 900g. Bit of fun but too hardcore for me (this well-known ultralight blogger uses one) - a real effort getting in and out and not good in the wet.

You'd think you could find a slightly upmarket dome tent (like the festival tents, great airspace, just slightly better materials for a 1 or 1.5kg weight) but I never found one.

Apparently Wild Country are bringing out a great range for 2013, including a Zephyros 1 Lite at 1.25kg.

Also, last spring, Field and Trek were selling the laser comp at a knockdown price (150£ or so, iirc) for a week or two, a start of season offer.

These one person Terra Nova tents are often on ebay in good condition at half price. For example a twice used Terra Nova Laser Photon Elite sold for £150 last week. It's 824 grams.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Wow, I really appreciate all the various thoughts on this. That's why i love browsing this forum....loads of ideas and thoughts.
Thank you very much!
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

I use the Easton Kilo, which isn't cheap, but if you wait until the sales are on you might got one very well reduced!

s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

Vaude ultralight - although a bit expensive - very good.

Stu
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

A point on single skin tents in general.
On any occasion where there is any dew on the grass, there will also be fairly generous amounts of condensation on the inside of any tent or tarp. No amount of ventilation will help. Any knock to the tent will cause the condensation to rain down on you and your gear unless there's a solid (non-mesh) inner tent in the way to keep it off. Also, a single skin tent with sewn in groundsheet will end up with puddles where the condensation has run down the walls.
I would recommend a sleeping bag with a water resistant outer shell.