wild camping - ticks

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
ambodach

wild camping - ticks

Post by ambodach »

There have been several posts recently where people asked for and were given advice on camping in general and wild camping in particular. One piece of advice missing I think involves ticks which can carry Lyme Disease. Ticks are becoming much more widespread then in the past and are now getting to be a serious menace.In one of my regular offroad runs I usually pick up at least a couple. Therefore when wild camping it would be a good idea to carry a tick remover (there are 2 sizes) and/or a pair of needle point tweezers to remove any ticks promptly. It is recommended that this is done within 36 hours to minimise the possibility of infection. If you cannot reach the offending tick and you are on your own most rural areas have a District Nurse or similar who should be able to help. The nurses in my local health centre tell me they have a regular procession of tourists all summer needing to have ticks removed so they are not likely to be surprised by such requests. While your chances of actually catching Lyme Disease are pretty remote and I would not like to cause unnecessary alarm there remains the possibility and more people are catching it every year. Check out Google and you will find plenty of information on this subject. As a sort of PS nobody mentioned Clegs also known as Horseflies which are bloodsuckers a bit like mosquitoes but do not I think carry disease. They can be a nuisance sometimes but nothing like midges. :twisted:
tripwire

Re: wild camping - ticks

Post by tripwire »

Since I moved to Scotland I've had to get used to dealing with these unpleasant hangers-on. I think the numbers up here are higher due to all the deer...

I don't wild camp, but even popping into the bushes for a moment can be sufficient for a few to hitch a ride. If you check yourself as soon as you return to the road you can often get rid of them before they latch on. When I'm touring I carry tick tweezers in my first aid kit. I've needed to use them a handful of times in the past few years.

They're definitely not something to worry about excessively, but awareness goes a long way to helping avoid infection. The sooner you can remove them the better, and if you have been bitten monitor the bite mark for the next day or two. If it starts to form a bullseye pattern then a visit to the doctor might be worthwhile.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

HI,
Wild camping on dartmoor since 1974, I was camping one trip and on the way home had to releive myself.
Desperate I was, next to road but elevated, dived in to bracken for the deed.
When I got home Legs still grubby from a two day cycle on the moors, went to the bathroom and saw some very small black specs on my legs.
Yep ticks, Had ticks before but just the one or two. After shower inspected more, my buttocks were plastered.
These ticks were as small as you could imagine, so small infact you could hardly see them :!:
My missus picked all 100 plus ticks from my cheeks :shock:
She had to use tweesers as they were to small for the forked small size tool :)
I must of sat in a nest :?:
I normally use a insect spray which does work, but you have to apply several times in a day if you are on moors off road and sweating alot.
On that day I did not use often enough, although I know from my vets that the last few years they have become more resitant to the meds used on pets.
I am more careful nowerdays, always carry spray and removal tools even if I am not going near moors, as I wild camp every where, if sheep have been there then very lickely that tics are too.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

I believe that ticks do use bracken a lot for hitching! More so than heather.