Cleaning Titanium pans after cooking

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
keithg

Cleaning Titanium pans after cooking

Post by keithg »

I like to travel light and tend to use an aluminium pan and kettle from Trangia, they're easy to clean after making pasta or rice based one-pot recipes cooked from scratch (I like the process of settling down of an evening and slow cooking a meal, so long as its not raining or midgey).
I've looked enviously at the expensive option of a one-pot-does-it-all Titanium pot/kettle (like the MSR one) but wonder how easy it is to clean. I often use sand and gravel to clean the pots when I'm wild camping and don't like pesto flavoured tea (hence the separate kettle). Would that work with Ti? How is the non-stick surface on Ti pans? I just cannot be bothered to scrub pans clean if it involves lots of work.
I know their simmering qualities won't match that of Al, how poor is it when using meths to cook?
Is it worth the expensive upgrade, there is some seriously cute and sexy cookware out there!!
What is other's experience with Ti pans?
Thanks, folks.
Last edited by keithg on 4 Apr 2013, 9:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
meic

Re: Cleaning Titanium pans after cooking

Post by meic »

The titanium cookware that I know of doesnt have a non stick layer of another material like teflon, so you can scour them clean, just as you would do with stainless steel.

I have only made tea in mine so far and that cleans off easy enough with a nylon scourer.
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Titanium is ...
Stronger, and so more dent-resistant
Hard enough to use a scourer freely, or the edge of a spoon for scraping burnt bits off
Thinner and less heat conductive, which translates to being easier to burn stuff on the base
Not any lighter than aluminium

Plain aluminium without hard anodizing can scratch up quite badly if scoured. This makes stuff a little more prone to burning on than with a newish pan, and means you've got to be more careful cleaning between cooking and tea brewing (if you care about flavoured tea).
hufty

Post by hufty »

Not saying things won't get burnt ever, but IMO IME YMMV the heat transfer thing is not as much of a problem with a meths stove as with for example a pump-up petrol stove. I have titanium Trangia pans (no longer available) and they're great. Not only can you stew fruit at altitude without worrying about the health risks, but also you can scour them with sand as mentioned above.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
patriciamiller

Post by patriciamiller »

meic wrote:The titanium cookware as the instapot review work that I know of doesnt have a non stick layer of another material like teflon, so you can scour them clean, just as you would do with stainless steel.

I have only made tea in mine so far and that cleans off easy enough with a nylon scourer.

So, you don't have to put extra effort with detergents? I don't have dishwasher, so I manually clean the pans muself. Seems like Titanium pans are right fit for me.
neilwragg

Post by neilwragg »

I use Ti pots such as the MSR over a wood gas stove and just use a scourer or wire wool to clean them. They are less prone to scratches than aluminium so just as easy or easier to look after.
Please read the forum rules : NO commercial spam on this FORUM.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

keithg wrote:I like to travel light and tend to use an aluminium pan and kettle from Trangia, they're easy to clean after making pasta or rice based one-pot recipes cooked from scratch (I like the process of settling down of an evening and slow cooking a meal, so long as its not raining or midgey).
I've looked enviously at the expensive option of a one-pot-does-it-all Titanium pot/kettle (like the MSR one) but wonder how easy it is to clean. I often use sand and gravel to clean the pots when I'm wild camping and don't like pesto flavoured tea (hence the separate kettle). Would that work with Ti? How is the non-stick surface on Ti pans? I just cannot be bothered to scrub pans clean if it involves lots of work.
I know their simmering qualities won't match that of Al, how poor is it when using meths to cook?
Is it worth the expensive upgrade, there is some seriously cute and sexy cookware out there!!
What is other's experience with Ti pans?
Thanks, folks.

I think it depends a lot what are you going to eat, then what are you carrying and what can you resupply en-route.
To me it makes sense to have both the options of raw metal and non-stick. the former for boiling water and the average quick cooking, the non-stick opton for cooking eggs and the likes.
A tall and narrow 0.8-0.9lt pot in raw finish plus a small non-stick pan, altogether with a coffee mug and a dish (I use a folding Orikaso) is pretty much what works well for most.

I'm ok with tiatanium and alloy alike, having used Trangia alloy (H.A. and non-stock) pans and Evernew titanium, they both work well with meths burners. Given that they all cool down quick, it's easy to pour some water when they're cool, so the next morning they're easy to clean. I avoid stuff that sticks or makes mess in the pots/pans anyway.
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Btw, you don't save a lot of weight by using Titanium pots/pans as opposed to standard ones like the Trangia UL, the price/weight saving ratio is not favourable and it can make sense only if it's part of a camping setup & bike that are already ligweight, otherwise it's a noticeable chunk of money for saving 30-50gr. It's good to have choice tho.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:Btw, you don't save a lot of weight by using Titanium pots/pans as opposed to standard ones like the Trangia UL,o.

Yes, must admit I've never seen the point. Sometimes wonder if some cyclists consider swapping out key bones/bits of their body for something lighter/more advanced.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:Btw, you don't save a lot of weight by using Titanium pots/pans as opposed to standard ones like the Trangia UL,o.

Yes, must admit I've never seen the point. Sometimes wonder if some cyclists consider swapping out key bones/bits of their body for something lighter/more advanced.

I can make sense only when you're shaving the very last gram, i.e. I am trying to go under 4.0kg for the full gear+bags but it's not easy when having bike tools+essential spares+tent+sleeping mat+sleeping bag+cooking kit+spare clothes+full waterproofs+a bag of toiletries for a civilized bloke :lol:
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

If civilised gatto you doubtless take a bialetti. Not much chance of getting the weight of that down. I persist in my belief that titanium cookware would only make sense if,a la jeux sans frontieres, the UCI decreed that racers had to stop every couple of hours for a quick brewup.
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:If civilised gatto you doubtless take a bialetti. Not much chance of getting the weight of that down. I persist in my belief that titanium cookware would only make sense if,a la jeux sans frontieres, the UCI decreed that racers had to stop every couple of hours for a quick brewup.

Funny enough, I like coffee in the morning but not much during the day. Stopping for a brew is the least thing I'd do, I only stop for food and sip some water.
In the morning, I'm fine with tea (or even instant coffee, if I really have to)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Gattonero wrote:In the morning, I'm fine with tea (or even instant coffee, if I really have to)

I fear for your citizenship :)
Sweep
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:
Gattonero wrote:In the morning, I'm fine with tea (or even instant coffee, if I really have to)

I fear for your citizenship :)

probably true! :lol: